how do you find love online?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xpendable said:
He's talking about guys.

The OP may be a guy, but I'm not. So I can't give advice from a guy's point of view, now can I? If you would stop trying to automatically disagree with things, you would realize certain things.

Besides, it's dating and love in general as well, and I wasn't really specifying any particular gender with my post. But since I'm with a guy, guess what... That's what I said.

Serenia said:
VC I love you.....can I get Bacon mashed potatoes?????? Oh Cavey might want some too :p

Sure! I'll whip you some up along with your other favorite foods!

If I can make it, that is. I can usually learn to make anything with a bit of time.

Love can be found online, but I think it happens more often through sites that aren't dating sites. Based on my own experiences, I wouldn't recommend dating sites to anyone. That's not to say it's not worth a try, I just don't personally have anything positive to say about them.

Gonna ramble a bit here. Avert your eyes.

I don't think online dating is so bad; I just think people just need to understand how to approach it more intelligently. For starters, a well-crafted profile goes a long way. The more mindful you are about the presentation, the better your profile will perform in terms of weeding out what you don't want and attracting what you do. Don't be disingenuous in presenting yourself, but pay attention to the language you use as well as the tone. Stay on topic and write enough to let your personality come through. Make it something more than a generic fact sheet—just don't end up writing a self-absorbed novel.

Rude and crass messages are an unfortunate reality of online life. Don't take them personally. Whoever sent that message was probably an ******* to the previous 100 people before you, and will be an ******* to next 100 people after you. We'll see how far that gets them in life. Short, dead-ended messages that put the burden of conversation on the recipient waste a person's time, and shouldn't be sent. If you receive such messages, reply to them at your own peril. The resulting exchange can often be dull, limited, and ultimately fruitless. If someone puts effort into presenting themselves to others by way of their profile, then the person messaging needs to show a reciprocation of that effort through their initial exchange. It's basic manners. Again, If you're going to put the burden of conversation entirely on the other person, then don't start the conversation in the first place. If you struggle with that, use something from their profile to spur the conversation. Or at the very, very least, introduce yourself. Don't act like your profile does all the talking for you. Again, it's basic manners. Show some initiative, some enthusiasm, and show that you can pull your own weight in an exchange. Yes, sometimes good looks make up for a lack of presentation or effort, but why sit idle on that playing field when putting in the extra effort can do wonders for you.

If you exchange some messages and there's no glimmer of a rapport, it's okay to quickly discount a person. You don't have to try and be thorough and stick it out just in case. Also, don't keep talking to them out of politeness. Don't get stuck waiting for them to make a move. If you get a sense that there might be something there—or if you're just unsure about what you think of the person—meet up or talk a little on the phone. That will help clarify things one way or the other. A lot of people get worn down with protracted messaging and the ambiguity of intent that it communicates.

Also, you can get perfectly fine dates from free sites; it's all about how well you use them. Shelling out a few dollars a month for a dating service does not certify a person as being a good catch, and I wouldn't assume anything about their character or intent based on that fact alone. Basically, don't put your faith in the hands of a paywall. Exercise your own practicality and shrewdness in any situation.

Online dating certainly seems to be one of those 'mixed' experiences. People either think it's going to replace dating and is really great or it's literally the worst thing ever.

I don't have any experience with online dating, granted, I know some people who have found it invaluable while others think it's a waste of time. It's a mixed bag.

I guess it all comes down to presentation, which I imagine is similar to real world dating, it's just a different format. Ahh well, I suppose I'll end up on one of these sites when a relationship becomes a priority of mine rather than just an idle hope while I focus on more important things. Best of luck to anyone who tries it. Just remember, the internet is a dangerous (and often quite a horrible) place.

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:
Unless you are attractive or rich you will find it very difficult.

I have to disagree with this. Online is likely more forgiving because you can meet people without it being based on looks and the person can get to know you. Granted, I'm not talking about dating sites where emphasis is on profiles and usually lies and looks, but more just finding people on the internet, like here, for instance. You get to know a person before you find out what they look like, which would give you a better chance if you think your looks are the problem.

As for dating sites, just be honest about yourself. Find a way to connect to the girl based on what her profile says. Find something in common and send a sincere, non creepy message.

I was talking about dating sites for men.
Which I thought the guy meant.
I agree there are better places than dating sites to meet people, such as here. In fact the internet is a wonderful to meet people that you would never meet otherwise.

What I mostly dislike about dating sites is the sites themselves, the way they rip people off and cheat people into signing up with fake winks and messages.

VanillaCreme said:
The OP may be a guy, but I'm not. So I can't give advice from a guy's point of view, now can I? If you would stop trying to automatically disagree with things, you would realize certain things

No you can't. I can't give advice from a female point of view; I'm honest about that. Is not just me who would disagree with that.

VanillaCreme said:
Besides, it's dating and love in general as well, and I wasn't really specifying any particular gender with my post. But since I'm with a guy, guess what... That's what I said.

Men and Women don't experience love the same one towards one another. And I'm not saying that just to disagree.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:
The OP may be a guy, but I'm not. So I can't give advice from a guy's point of view, now can I? If you would stop trying to automatically disagree with things, you would realize certain things

No you can't. I can't give advice from a female point of view; I'm honest about that. Is not just me who would disagree with that.

VanillaCreme said:

Men and Women don't experience love the same one towards one another. And I'm not saying that just to disagree.

I never said they did. You just want to disagree again, because I find it funny how you didn't say anything to any other female that posted in this thread.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

VanillaCreme said:

He wants advice on how to meet girls, how to connect with them. One would think, going by your reasoning, that WOMEN would be more suited to answer his question, as we are more inclined than men to know what we would and would not respond to.....
Granted, we can't speak for every woman, but we still have a better idea than most men.

TheRealCallie said:
Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

VanillaCreme said:

He wants advice on how to meet girls, how to connect with them. One would think, going by your reasoning, that WOMEN would be more suited to answer his question, as we are more inclined than men to know what we would and would not respond to.....
Granted, we can't speak for every woman, but we still have a better idea than most men.

That may be true but I've yet to read any advice on here that has really helped. ( Even though most people do mean well)

VanillaCreme said:
I never said they did. You just want to disagree again, because I find it funny how you didn't say anything to any other female that posted in this thread.

You responded to TB about what he considers a male issue in dating (since he responded to another male). You equated online dating for both genders as if they develop the same. No other woman in this thread posted something similar so I don't know why I should take issue with them.

Triple Bogey said:
That may be true but I've yet to read any advice on here that has really helped. ( Even though most people do mean well)

Well, the problem is that there really is no concrete advice for finding love. Meet people, give them a chance, if it happens, it happens. It's not something you can force.

The same is true for any working relationship. You just have to go out and meet people, then develop relationships with them.

Triple Bogey said:

Keeping some thoughts in mind on the subject can help as well, even if advice given isn't what's being looked for. I agree with certain things myself, even if I'm probably never going to use it.

Xpendable said:
You responded to TB about what he considers a male issue in dating (since he responded to another male). You equated online dating for both genders as if they develop the same. No other woman in this thread posted something similar so I don't know why I should take issue with them.

No I didn't. I made a joke about mashed potatoes. What the fresia are you reading? The other ladies that did post in this thread actually gave some advice.

VanillaCreme said:
No I didn't. I made a joke about mashed potatoes. What the fresia are you reading? The other ladies that did post in this thread actually gave some advice.

Triple Bogey Wrote to OP:
Unless you are attractive or rich you will find it very difficult.
Long distance, you may have more luck but do you really need all the hassle ?

I suggest forget all about online and try to meet a woman the old fashioned way. eg pubs, night clubs, clubs, meetups etc.

You wrote:

I'm not attractive. Don't have money. Would probably never go to bars, clubs, or pubs. And I met my guy online. Reeled him in with bacon mashed potatoes.

That's how you get true love. Bacon mashed potatoes.

Apart from the joke, you stated that men and women deal with the same dynamics when participating in online dating. You think that your experience means that what they say is not true.

Xpendable said:
Apart from the joke, you stated that men and women deal with the same dynamics when participating in online dating. You think that your experience means that what they say is not true.

No I didn't. Where did I even say anything about dynamics or anything of the sort? I didn't even mention participating dating online. I just said I met my guy online. And it wasn't on a dating site. I don't do dating sites.

I have no idea where you're getting all this. Either you're reading things that aren't there, or you find it funny to argue.

VanillaCreme said:
No I didn't. Where did I even say anything about dynamics or anything of the sort? I didn't even mention participating dating online. I just said I met my guy online. And it wasn't on a dating site. I don't do dating sites.

I have no idea where you're getting all this. Either you're reading things that aren't there, or you find it funny to argue.

They: Is hard to find women online.

You: No, it's not because I found a men online.

Can't simplify it more.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

They: Is hard to find women online.

You: No, it's not because I found a men online.

Can't simplify it more.

What are you talking about? I never said anything about it being easy or hard.

VanillaCreme said:

It seemed like it. Since they expressed difficulty with finding a partner online and you said you got one without too much effort. Is not strange that someone could interpret it that way.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

It seemed like it. Since they expressed difficulty with finding a partner online and you said you got one without too much effort. Is not strange that someone could interpret it that way.

Just because something is said does NOT imply that it is easy. I will never understand why people insist on thinking that.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

I said nothing about the effort. At all. How can you even judge that without me having said a word about it?

VanillaCreme said:
I said nothing about the effort. At all. How can you even judge that without me having said a word about it?

So, it was hard for you to find him?

Latest posts

Back