how do you find love online?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:
I said nothing about the effort. At all. How can you even judge that without me having said a word about it?

So, it was hard for you to find him?

I wasn't looking for anything. You're just going to try and justify the fact that you jumped the gun, reading into honeysuckle I wasn't even saying. So it doesn't matter if I say it was hard or easy (which, to be honest, it was neither hard nor easy), because you're just going to argue about it either way. I think you get off on bickering. Claiming that I "stated" something that I never even mentioned at all... You just read what you want. It doesn't matter what's said.

VanillaCreme said:
I wasn't looking for anything. You're just going to try and justify the fact that you jumped the gun, reading into honeysuckle I wasn't even saying. So it doesn't matter if I say it was hard or easy (which, to be honest, it was neither hard nor easy), because you're just going to argue about it either way. I think you get off on bickering. Claiming that I "stated" something that I never even mentioned at all... You just read what you want. It doesn't matter what's said.

So, you were just making a joke? If that's it, then ok. My bad.

When it comes to finding someone online, I think there are a few important factors in determining if its a good idea to become involved. Distance being the first, and if you want to get involved in something where one of you has to move closer. Another important factor would be if you both want the same things or could live happily with each others lifestyles. Definitely no rush when it comes to dating online or not. :)

VanillaCreme said:
How can you even judge that without me having said a word about it?

He can't. But she can. :p (Hang in there VanillaCreme)

Judge+Judy.jpg

hitch1983 said:
How do you find online?

Im a member of a few sites and yet it seems impossible to find a connection.

I find it hard to single out a woman i would be genuinely interested in. There[s soo many, it just seems like a sea of faces.

So i lose motivation to write any first messages. Plus when i finally do try message a girl, i strike out. i would say it was because of the content of the message, but everyone seems to be the same when they message if i base on what they send me. i.e. how are you etc..... so it seems to either work or it doesnt...im guessing its based on looks.

But thats another thing every message i send out, goes ignored and every message i get is from someone i dont feel any passion for.

Plus i start off locally but choice is limited, so end up going further afield, but i know when i do that, im basically signing up to long distance, and thats the last thing i want at my stage of life.

so it just seems impossible

so how do you actually use online dating properly????

STOP!!!! YOU SHOULD NEVER LOOK FOR LOVE ONLINE!!!

VanillaCreme said:
Triple Bogey said:
That may be true but I've yet to read any advice on here that has really helped. ( Even though most people do mean well)

Keeping some thoughts in mind on the subject can help as well, even if advice given isn't what's being looked for. I agree with certain things myself, even if I'm probably never going to use it.

Xpendable said:
You responded to TB about what he considers a male issue in dating (since he responded to another male). You equated online dating for both genders as if they develop the same. No other woman in this thread posted something similar so I don't know why I should take issue with them.

No I didn't. I made a joke about mashed potatoes. What the fresia are you reading? The other ladies that did post in this thread actually gave some advice.

I thought it was rude too, making a joke like that. Making fun of my advice.

VanillaCreme said:
Triple Bogey said:
Unless you are attractive or rich you will find it very difficult.
Long distance, you may have more luck but do you really need all the hassle ?

I suggest forget all about online and try to meet a woman the old fashioned way. eg pubs, night clubs, clubs, meetups etc.

I'm not attractive. Don't have money. Would probably never go to bars, clubs, or pubs. And I met my guy online. Reeled him in with bacon mashed potatoes.

That's how you get true love. Bacon mashed potatoes.

That is what you call in this country 'taking the piss'.

I was talking about the OP who is a guy. I directed my advice to him only. You made a silly joke making fun out of what I wrote. And then it seems you try and deny it with some bullshit when somebody calls you up on it.

Jafo said:
hitch1983 said:
How do you find online?

Im a member of a few sites and yet it seems impossible to find a connection.

I find it hard to single out a woman i would be genuinely interested in. There[s soo many, it just seems like a sea of faces.

So i lose motivation to write any first messages. Plus when i finally do try message a girl, i strike out. i would say it was because of the content of the message, but everyone seems to be the same when they message if i base on what they send me. i.e. how are you etc..... so it seems to either work or it doesnt...im guessing its based on looks.

But thats another thing every message i send out, goes ignored and every message i get is from someone i dont feel any passion for.

Plus i start off locally but choice is limited, so end up going further afield, but i know when i do that, im basically signing up to long distance, and thats the last thing i want at my stage of life.

so it just seems impossible

so how do you actually use online dating properly????

STOP!!!! YOU SHOULD NEVER LOOK FOR LOVE ONLINE!!!

Best post in this thread !

Seriously?
Vanilla wasn't make fun of ANYONE.
It was a lighthearted post mean to be amusing. Looks like most people took it how it was meant.
Geez.

mintymint said:
Gonna ramble a bit here. Avert your eyes.

I don't think online dating is so bad; I just think people just need to understand how to approach it more intelligently. For starters, a well-crafted profile goes a long way. The more mindful you are about the presentation, the better your profile will perform in terms of weeding out what you don't want and attracting what you do. Don't be disingenuous in presenting yourself, but pay attention to the language you use as well as the tone. Stay on topic and write enough to let your personality come through. Make it something more than a generic fact sheet—just don't end up writing a self-absorbed novel.

Rude and crass messages are an unfortunate reality of online life. Don't take them personally. Whoever sent that message was probably an ******* to the previous 100 people before you, and will be an ******* to next 100 people after you. We'll see how far that gets them in life. Short, dead-ended messages that put the burden of conversation on the recipient waste a person's time, and shouldn't be sent. If you receive such messages, reply to them at your own peril. The resulting exchange can often be dull, limited, and ultimately fruitless. If someone puts effort into presenting themselves to others by way of their profile, then the person messaging needs to show a reciprocation of that effort through their initial exchange. It's basic manners. Again, If you're going to put the burden of conversation entirely on the other person, then don't start the conversation in the first place. If you struggle with that, use something from their profile to spur the conversation. Or at the very, very least, introduce yourself. Don't act like your profile does all the talking for you. Again, it's basic manners. Show some initiative, some enthusiasm, and show that you can pull your own weight in an exchange. Yes, sometimes good looks make up for a lack of presentation or effort, but why sit idle on that playing field when putting in the extra effort can do wonders for you.

If you exchange some messages and there's no glimmer of a rapport, it's okay to quickly discount a person. You don't have to try and be thorough and stick it out just in case. Also, don't keep talking to them out of politeness. Don't get stuck waiting for them to make a move. If you get a sense that there might be something there—or if you're just unsure about what you think of the person—meet up or talk a little on the phone. That will help clarify things one way or the other. A lot of people get worn down with protracted messaging and the ambiguity of intent that it communicates.

Also, you can get perfectly fine dates from free sites; it's all about how well you use them. Shelling out a few dollars a month for a dating service does not certify a person as being a good catch, and I wouldn't assume anything about their character or intent based on that fact alone. Basically, don't put your faith in the hands of a paywall. Exercise your own practicality and shrewdness in any situation.

+1

EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
It was a lighthearted post mean to be amusing. Looks like most people took it how it was meant.
Geez.

It came out as un-sympathetic.

TheRealCallie said:
No, you interpreted it the way YOU wanted to, not as it was intended.

It came out as it was intended. That doesn't mean it was harmless.

EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Geez.

Yes and some people didn't.

It wasn't lighthearted at all. It was cruel and had a mocking tone to it.

Triple Bogey said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Geez.

Yes and some people didn't.

It wasn't lighthearted at all. It was cruel and had a mocking tone to it.

Yes, perhaps she should have used a pink font to lighten the tone of the black ink. I mean, that black ink really does put out a nasty tone.

TheRealCallie said:
Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Geez.

YOU are talking crap again.

If that's cruel to you, then I envy your perception. It was lighthearted, but whatever.

Moving on...

Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Geez.

Oh, please enlighten me as to how?

VanillaCreme said:
If that's cruel to you, then I envy your perception. It was lighthearted, but whatever.

Why be lighthearted anyway ?

Sounds like the guy is having serious problems. Why make fun of the situation ?

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Geez.

Oh, please enlighten me as to how?

I can't be arsed.

Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Geez.

No it didn't.
I've known Nilla for about six years. She's been in my home and we've been out together. I certainly know her well enough to know that what she said wasn't being unsympathetic.

Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Geez.

No - she made an ACCURATE assessment.

EveWasFramed said:
No it didn't.
I've known Nilla for about six years. She's been in my home and we've been out together. I certainly know her well enough to know that what she said wasn't being unsympathetic.

Someone has a legit concern about relationships and she makes a joke (bad intended or not) I don't see that as particularly offensive. But I can understand why someone else would. She may not have the intention, but the action itself of making the joke (bad intended or not) shows a lack of concern with the issues other members are dealing with. I said it "came out as", not that it was un-sympathetic on purpose. Sometimes we can hurt people without even know it. I'm not saying we should be afraid of speaking or joking time to time. But we can try to understand other people struggles even if they don't affect us.

Latest posts

Back