how do you find love online?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EveWasFramed said:
Triple Bogey said:
EveWasFramed said:
Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Vanilla wasn't make fun of ANYONE.
It was a lighthearted post mean to be amusing. Looks like most people took it how it was meant.
Geez.

It came out as un-sympathetic.

No it didn't.
I've known Nilla for about six years. She's been in my home and we've been out together. I certainly know her well enough to know that what she said wasn't being unsympathetic.

I'm sure she is a really nice person but that comment was wrong. I gave some advice to the guy who wrote the thread. It was up to him to either accept it as good advice or ignore or as rubbish.

And then my advice gets made fun of. It doesn't help the OP and it pisses me off. I mean just admit it and move on.

Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
No, you interpreted it the way YOU wanted to, not as it was intended.

YOU are talking crap again.

No - she made an ACCURATE assessment.

EveWasFramed said:
Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Seriously?
Vanilla wasn't make fun of ANYONE.
It was a lighthearted post mean to be amusing. Looks like most people took it how it was meant.
Geez.

It came out as un-sympathetic.

No it didn't.
I've known Nilla for about six years. She's been in my home and we've been out together. I certainly know her well enough to know that what she said wasn't being unsympathetic.

Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
No, you interpreted it the way YOU wanted to, not as it was intended.

YOU are talking crap again.

No - she made an ACCURATE assessment.

In your opinion. But I think it was honeysuckle which is my opinion. And we have freedom of speech on here, everybody is entitled to their own view.

Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
No it didn't.

Someone has a legit concern about relationships and she makes a joke (bad intended or not) I don't see that as particularly offensive. But I can understand why someone else would. She may not have the intention, but the action itself of making the joke (bad intended or not) shows a lack of concern with the issues other members are dealing with. I said it "came out as", not that it was un-sympathetic on purpose. Sometimes we can hurt people without even know it. I'm not saying we should be afraid of speaking or joking time to time. But we can try to understand other people struggles even if they don't affect us.

Well said !

At the end of the day online dating is a big waste of time, effort and money.

Your opinion.

To the OP -
I'll be married before the end of the year...

To a man I met on eHarmony, eight months ago. :D

Congrats !

You are a nice looking woman though. A big advantage.

Xpendable said:
I have no money to pay dating sites. What should I do?

Don't waste your money on shitty dating sites, save your money.
Dating sites are for good looking people who haven't got the time to meet each other in the normal way.

I stumbled upon this Tumblr post this morning, which kind of explains what I was trying to say in more detail.

I won't offer any more suggestions, since you seem to have made up your mind about things already.

Xpendable said:
Solivagant said:
I guess you can't do online dating then. I have trouble finding others on my wavelength, so I feel you there.

Yeah, that's just one of the issues, but I can see why it can work for others. The main problem is incompatibility.

Solivagant said:
I think the important thing is just to stay open to talking with people, wherever they may be. Don't expect anything, just develop some curiosity about people and direct it towards learning about them and understanding them.

The people worth of being curious about are a minority at best. I know it sounds bad but I already made a thread about it, that's how I see it. I also think is impossible not to expect anything. We always expect something from others. I don't know were people get this idea of letting things flow. I had let things flow all my life and they just go around ignoring me.

Solivagant said:
People are filled with information; appreciate that every new interpersonal experience will add to your knowledge and wisdom, if nothing else. In the process you may chance upon someone you mesh with. It's mostly luck anyway, in my opinion.

But it's never new information. Sometimes the information is not even correct. People don't want to talk about anything, and when they do it's always some half assed opinion or a lack of understanding on the subjects. It gets really frustrating to find the same opinions all the time. Even more when you're reduced to a demographic of the size of new york in just one country, with a geography so inconvenient that everything seems far away and disconnected. It sucks. I want that luck.

Solivagant said:
I stumbled upon this Tumblr post this morning, which kind of explains what I was trying to say in more detail.

I won't offer any more suggestions, since you seem to have made up your mind about things already.

People crave me. Almost always anyway.
My problem doesn't really in not being able to form friendships or even in interacting with people in general. I fit in pretty well without faking who I am. Everyone would give you good opinions about me or say I'm just a cool guy. I can have a good time with people, chat, joke, have conversations and solve problems.

But there's a limit. Kind of a ceiling that stops me from being satisfied with that. I took insolation not by choice in my early 20'. I attribute my lack of attachment to shyness and low self esteem, but slowly I was able to see that certain patterns in people prevent me from "not judge them". I got into art, philosophy, science, literature and so on, and, with time I realized that what I did wasn't some incredible task or that I was some knowledgeable scholar. Why the rest isn't doing the same? I thought. Why my questions always get an "I don't know" or "I never thought about that".

Is not only the capacity to recognize deep subjects that separates me from people, but the disposition to acquire new knowledge. The capacity of self-reflection and critical thinking, the willingness to be challenged and to defy customs. And finally, what separates me the most is that this majority that alienates me are united in a comfortable group called society. All their differences from me are the accepted norm of opinion and consensus about the model of thinking that prevails in the present.

It has took me a life of careful observation and experience to realize people aren't that much of a deal. They may be different from each other, but that doesn't mean they have potential. Potential to transcend to something else that your Average Joe on the weekends. You can be content with that; I can to some extend. But there's no more connection than that. I need a little more every day. That may sound selfish but It really causes me distress not being able to communicate with other individuals similar to my own. After all that's the kind of people we're attracted, isn't?

You give people too much credit. I give them the benefit of the doubt and they fail 100% of the time. The way they talk, the way the dress, the music they listen and the type of humor they have. I've came to the point in which I can predict those traits with a little clue or two. I can predict their political inclinations, their taste and even their background. But I never say anything, because that would be rude, I would be "judging their worth". When they aren't concerned with growing that worth because no one has said to them they can be more.

It's always the same faults, the same moral failings, ethical failings, ignorance, fear, selfishness, stupidity. Every single one of them without exception, all my life, every single one.

14yr o me: Teacher, John Dalton also discovered daltonism.
Teacher: Never heard of that, you're lying.

16yr o me: Did you read the book for the test.
Calssmate: No, just the summary.
16yr o me: Why?
Classmate: Cause is boring.

20yr o me: I don't think the bible's stories are true.
Girl: My priest says that those things could happen in a normal way, and then transform into metaphors. So they were true.
20yr o me: Tha's called rethoric.
Girl: What's that?

23yr o me: Some say the universe in an hologram. We project reality trough our senses but space time isn't really there as we imagine it.
Coworker: You're crazy, shut up.

Religious friend: Nothing a human does has value unless he has accepted jesus christ on his heart.
25yr o me: What if someone cures cancer and doesn't believe in god?
Religious friend: Then what he did has no value.
25yr o me: But he would save millions of lives.
Religious friend: Of people who don't believe either, what's so good about that?

There's more examples but you get the idea. If you think I'm exaggerating take into notice that we live in different parts of the world. With a different historical background, different genetic heritage, different culture, education, idiosyncrasy, societal structure and customs. This is my environment. It may be other kind people out there, I'm sure, but this what I got. It's the same online than in real life. How to overcome this? I don't know.

Xpendable said:
My problem doesn't really in not being able to form friendships or even in interacting with people in general. I fit in pretty well without faking who I am. Everyone would give you good opinions about me or say I'm just a cool guy. I can have a good time with people, chat, joke, have conversations and solve problems.

But there's a limit. Kind of a ceiling that stops me from being satisfied with that. I took insolation not by choice in my early 20'. I attribute my lack of attachment to shyness and low self esteem, but slowly I was able to see that certain patterns in people prevent me from "not judge them". I got into art, philosophy, science, literature and so on, and, with time I realized that what I did wasn't some incredible task or that I was some knowledgeable scholar. Why the rest isn't doing the same? I thought. Why my questions always get an "I don't know" or "I never thought about that".

Is not only the capacity to recognize deep subjects that separates me from people, but the disposition to acquire new knowledge. The capacity of self-reflection and critical thinking, the willingness to be challenged and to defy customs. And finally, what separates me the most is that this majority that alienates me are united in a comfortable group called society. All their differences from me are the accepted norm of opinion and consensus about the model of thinking that prevails in the present.

It has took me a life of careful observation and experience to realize people aren't that much of a deal. They may be different from each other, but that doesn't mean they have potential. Potential to transcend to something else that your Average Joe on the weekends. You can be content with that; I can to some extend. But there's no more connection than that. I need a little more every day. That may sound selfish but It really causes me distress not being able to communicate with other individuals similar to my own. After all that's the kind of people we're attracted, isn't?

You give people too much credit. I give them the benefit of the doubt and they fail 100% of the time. The way they talk, the way the dress, the music they listen and the type of humor they have. I've came to the point in which I can predict those traits with a little clue or two. I can predict their political inclinations, their taste and even their background. But I never say anything, because that would be rude, I would be "judging their worth". When they aren't concerned with growing that worth because no one has said to them they can be more.

It's always the same faults, the same moral failings, ethical failings, ignorance, fear, selfishness, stupidity. Every single one of them without exception, all my life, every single one.

That was quite a depressing read. But don't get me wrong, it's actually because parts of this have been echoing through my head for a long time now. Though I'm nothing more than a Barely-above-average Joe, my mindset is easily concluded with what you put so concisely as "People aren't much of a deal". The more time I spent observing, the more I realized how predictable everyone is - including myself. I can joke around, listen, debate and earn my place among them easily but it has little to no value to me, so I can't see a point in putting effort into it anymore. My experiences with social interaction have become more and more unsatisfactory and I'm already beyond the "deep level". I merely dipped into the topics of philosophy and science in the past and it was just as much in vain cause there's no trick to it, nothing incredible. Then, once more, I remember my dad's words about the joy one receives from giving to others and all the talk about beind kind and fulfilled - for me it's been just as futile and joyless.

All of this sounds utterly dismissive concerning the whole human race, but what can I say...in short, life blows. I think I'd rather spend the rest of my days giving in to my personal vices. At least these kept me remotely stimulated.

VanillaCreme said:
EveWasFramed said:
To the OP -
I'll be married before the end of the year...

To a man I met on eHarmony, eight months ago. :D

Ooo how exciting! Totally wish I could come! I'd be the ugly friend that makes you look even more beautiful than you already are. :D

Congrats Eve!!!! Thats wonderful news!!!

I never had much luck with dating sites although I did meet my ex girlfriend on Eharmony which I cancelled sometime ago. It was hardly a waste as me and her are still good friends. Plenty of fish was a horrible experience for me..I never got any responses back at all and as a result my self esteem was crushed..it is weird since I know for a fact that I am not ugly and am fitter then the general person but I take bad pictures and my confidence has a hard time showing through them. I am thinking next year of trying Match.com to see what happens..plenty of fish has been nothing but a negative experience for me lol

Latest posts

Back