How do you make friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i lost a friend because she made a joke about mentaly ill people and her only reply was that it was a joke. Is a racist joke only a joke. The joke implied that the mentally ill are cruel and hateful and like to see people hurt.

The One said:
I once went to these street dance classes, people would randomly smile at me and say things to me, made friends too easily, I thought this was great. Then I realised 90% of people there were "simple-minded" people, as in people with learning difficulties. Not saying I hate these people, I still keep in touch, but need to be around people and be friends with those who are on the same conscious level as me, it's nice to have a cat, but it's not a human.

No offense to those whoa are simple-minded, but I will never sugar-coat anything, that's not me.

If I were them and knew you had that attitude, I wouldn't want to be your friend. On any level.

VanillaCreme said:
The One said:
I once went to these street dance classes, people would randomly smile at me and say things to me, made friends too easily, I thought this was great. Then I realised 90% of people there were "simple-minded" people, as in people with learning difficulties. Not saying I hate these people, I still keep in touch, but need to be around people and be friends with those who are on the same conscious level as me, it's nice to have a cat, but it's not a human.

No offense to those whoa are simple-minded, but I will never sugar-coat anything, that's not me.

If I were them and knew you had that attitude, I wouldn't want to be your friend. On any level.
i agree with vanillaC.

johnny196775Again said:
VanillaCreme said:
The One said:

i agree with vanillaC.

Flashback Friday: http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=6894&pid=118617#pid118617

Do you really want to agree with someone who thinks people let themselves be abused? Just saying.

reynard_muldrake said:
johnny196775Again said:
VanillaCreme said:
The One said:

i agree with vanillaC.

Flashback Friday: http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=6894&pid=118617#pid118617

Do you really want to agree with someone who thinks people let themselves be abused? Just saying.

Wow, good job on stalking someone's posts and using a post from 7 YEARS AGO as any kind of relevant example. lol

I'm sure I could stalk all your posts and find something worse than that.....

And there ARE signs and obvious red flags for a person who is abusive. I very highly doubt that guy just started abusing the girl after she got pregnant. But hey, let's just hijack someone's thread for your own vindictive agenda.....not like you haven't done it before. But I'm sure it's someone else's fault entirely....it always is. :)

TheRealCallie said:
reynard_muldrake said:
johnny196775Again said:
VanillaCreme said:
The One said:

i agree with vanillaC.

Wow, good job on stalking someone's posts and using a post from 7 YEARS AGO as any kind of relevant example. lol

I'm sure I could stalk all your posts and find something worse than that.....

And there ARE signs and obvious red flags for a person who is abusive. I very highly doubt that guy just started abusing the girl after she got pregnant. But hey, let's just hijack someone's thread for your own vindictive agenda.....not like you haven't done it before. But I'm sure it's someone else's fault entirely....it always is. :)
Oh, honey. Remember when you hijacked Ska's thread and told him how entitled he was? You may need time to recall since you've lashed out at him in at least two of his threads. But hey, you only have the noblest of reasons to hijack posts. Who would let us know what lowly creatures we are for showing sensitivity?

P.S. you are incredibly thin-skinned for someone who likes acting tough. One would say you even chose to be offended by The One's remark ;).

reynard_muldrake said:
Oh, honey. Remember when you hijacked Ska's thread and told him how entitled he was? You may need time to recall since you've lashed out at him in at least two of his threads. But hey, you only have the noblest of reasons to hijack posts. Who would let us know what lowly creatures we are for showing sensitivity?

P.S. you are incredibly thin-skinned for someone who likes acting tough. One would say you even chose to be offended by The One's remark ;).

Just because someone doesn't like what I say does NOT mean it is off topic from the thread. ALL of my posts were in relation to the thread.

But THIS thread is not about past honeysuckle that isn't relevant. It's about how to make friends. I notice you don't have any real advice for the OP....

Now then, if the OP still comes around, I'm curious if they've had any luck since they posted this thread.

Being a Debbie downer or negative Nelly does not help. I cant think of one for a man right now. How about a pissed off Pete. Or mad mike.

TheRealCallie said:
johnny196775Again said:
Being a Debbie downer or negative Nelly does not help. I cant think of one for a man right now. How about a pissed off Pete. Or mad mike.

How about Donny Downer :O

Or david. thank you. :)

TheRealCallie said:
Bluey said:
TheRealCallie said:
The One said:

Wow.....

Just because someone is "simple minded," as you put it, doesn't mean they aren't human and it doesn't mean they aren't intelligent.

I know MANY people who have NO disabilities and are less conscious than disabled people.

I dont think he meant it bad.

I would say its normal you wont friends you can have a conversation with and tell jokes to. On your own level not the level has a child.

To be friends with someone you have to help cross a road and cook for because they have got the mental capacity of a 10 year old or younger is not rally an even friendship.

Still it does say a lot about him that he would still remain friends with them.
That to me shows his decent and not judgmental. It does not mean that he should feel guilty for wanting friends with people his own aged thinking has well tho.

I just thought you where a bit harsh on him and maybe misunderstood what he was trying to say.

No, I don't think I was harsh enough with him. I have friends/family that are disabled and they are great people and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Don't judge a person just because of some messed up stereotype. You don't know them, you don't know what they are like or what kind of mental capacity they have. Maybe if people would stop judging others based on their own perceptions, the world would be a better place and people would have more friends.

I do know these people quite well and do not judge them, I had a colleague I worked with who was also simple-minded or whatever I don't know what it is, I asked how he was getting home, he told me he would walk. I know how far his home was , would take him 2 and a half hours, I said he's crazy and told him after this shift we're going to the manager to tell him he needs earlies to catch a bus home.

When we got there, he refused, and asked me to tell the manager on his behalf. I know if won't work unless it comes from his mouth, but he says no, so I couldn't do anything about it, I was even willing to back him up.

What mental capacity does that show you? If he was shy or something fair enough, but I'm not judging people, I receive information.

Why am I a bad person for feeling bad not being able to make friends with people who are, how can I say this without offending others, on my level.

I'm not insulting people here, I'm being deadly honest with how I feel.
Growing up as an only child, never had a social circle to be honest with you, I start to make friends all of a sudden, realize none of these people were on the same level which means I've done nothing to improve myself to make my own friends.

Bluey I appreciate you understanding what I'm on about. As I said I still talk to these people, one of them I found out keeps taking course after course, I've personally wasted 3 years studying something I never wanted to do, I support this person cause I don't want them to go down the same route, I try to help them find their passion.

My Aunt is also Skitsophrenic, she acts differently from "normal" people, but I love her and have great convos with her, just as I do these people. Not enough man, does not fill the void of emptiness, and I'm not afraid to tell people how it is.

EDIT- Sorry for the double post, didn't know I cant delete previous ones

Latest posts

Back