How much time...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
How much time can you spend without leaving home?
I'm very curious about this. Some lonley friends I had told me once they could spend weeks without getting out of their homes.

For me is impossible, I can be at home one day tops. I need to go outside! The breeze, the sunlight... just can't stand to be at home all day.

I only buy two packs of cigarettes at a time (so they don't go stale, but given how much I've been smoking lately, I could buy more) so I'd have to go out at least every 4 days, if only for that. BUT...I have kids, so I have to take them to school and stuff.

I go out around once a week. It's not that I couldn't go out more. I just happen to live way out of town, and it can be frustrating finding transportation in at times.

I go out every day, for work, errands, etc. But, I have this urge to get out of the house at the crack of dawn, do what needs to be done and get back home ASAP. I am almost relieved when I can walk back into the house and shut the door for the rest of the day.

I didn't go out for around 1 year 1 month until recently. Now I've been out 4 times in the last couple of weeks.

annik said:
I didn't go out for around 1 year 1 month until recently. Now I've been out 4 times in the last couple of weeks.

You are the winner so far :p

I once spent seven months without going outside. Afterwards, I decided to do so more often.

Three months -- over a summer break in middle school. Again in high school, and once more after graduation. All of them were pretty dark periods in my life. Didn't leave my room except to eat and shower. Luckily I can't be idle like that for long because of school.

A friend used to come down from another state every summer -- not for me, specifically. But she used to make it a point to pry me out of my house while she was in town... Even if we aren't as close as we used to be (probably my fault), I'll never forget how tolerant she was of my awkward/hermit tendencies... And stubborn enough to cut through my bullshit. I don't even know if she knows how genuinely grateful I was that she cared.

I've gotten better. Learning to keep busy. Being idle and alone with my thoughts for long periods is dangerous for me.

I think I COULD stay at home for a very long time if I had the right things to aid me. But as things stand now, I HAVE to go out at least once a week to meetings of some sort. I like going out though. Ideally I go out every day.

annik said:
Felix said:
annik said:

You are the winner so far :p

He he not sure I'd describe it that way! :rolleyes:

It depends on how you see it...

beautifulsorrow said:
Everytime I go out its horrible, its a very horrible place outside

Why?
The zombies aren't even here... yet.

I began to go to a fast food place to draw. It really helped me more than I tought... I can focus easily there and is not mandatory to pay for anything (you can just go there and sit, no one will bother you...). My mental block dissapeared because of that. Took me a while to find a place I like tough... But I like it even if I'm by myself. Only thing that bothers me are those annoying teenagers... They are too loud when they gather in large groups.

Yet still I can't find the courage to go watch a movie alone... Not that I want it that bad...

I can last a few days, then I start going crazy. I have to get out and do something, anything.

When I was suffering from agoraphobia quite badly I went three years without leaving the house. I'm getting better but living in a town away from all my friends and family with only my partner (who treats me like crap) and my two kids for company so I don't go out much apart for school runs.

When I was really ill, with anxiety and depression, I maybe went out once a week to the local park, just to get out. Actually I spent days in my bedroom (I was living with my parents) and I would go down stairs at night when everyone was in bed. I felt like a vampire almost, not seeing family, not seeing anyone except my parents.
Eventually I realised I had to do something. I would have gone mad otherwise.
It was not a nice time for me and I never want to go back there!

I feel for anyone in a similar situation, it's horrible.
Dark times, I might have done anything at that time. I'm glad I survived it and use it to motivate me now.

In a lonely place said:
Dark times, I might have done anything at that time. I'm glad I survived it and use it to motivate me now.

I can understand that. I too had difficult times and overcoming it does help to motivate yourself.

beautifulsorrow said:
Everytime I go out its horrible, its a very horrible place outside
Why?
The zombies aren't even here... yet.

I began to go to a fast food place to draw. It really helped me more than I tought... I can focus easily there and is not mandatory to pay for anything (you can just go there and sit, no one will bother you...). My mental block dissapeared because of that. Took me a while to find a place I like tough... But I like it even if I'm by myself. Only thing that bothers me are those annoying teenagers... They are too loud when they gather in large groups.

Yet still I can't find the courage to go watch a movie alone... Not that I want it that bad...

Its just a shitty place I guess. I think people who are socially successful watch movies alone from time to time. :D

When I was suffering from agoraphobia quite badly I went three years without leaving the house. I'm getting better but living in a town away from all my friends and family with only my partner (who treats me like crap) and my two kids for company so I don't go out much apart for school runs.
Glad you are getting better. Punch your partner in the face :D

Since I almost never have time alone due to being a taxi cab driver for my daughter and needing a vacation from work and other responsibilities, I would welcome a year long confinement in my home even though I would probably start going crazy after a few days.

Latest posts

Back