How old were you when kisses stopped being meaningful?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sinisterplague said:
So what you are saying is that there is a pecking order on this forum and therefore the unpopular people should not question or talk back to the popular people? Okay cool, got it. Tell her I'll spit shine her shoes tomorrow, you or someone else will have to do it tonight.

We don't have "unpopular people" here. We do not have cliques, we are a clique. If you're observant, you'll realize we all care about, support, and defend each other here. Even our arguments are generally carried out as tactfully as possible. I think you're snarky because you've learned that you have to be defensive in most places. We're not most people, and you don't have to do that here.

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
i reckon it loses it 'meaning' when you take it for granted..

Yeah. It loses meaning when it become just a stepping stone to something else, versus a pleasurable or meaningful act in and of itself.

cheaptrickfan said:
sinisterplague said:
"At least own your obnoxiousness if nothing else." does not even come close to a complete or even coherent sentence.

It is, indeed, a complete and grammatically correct sentence.

It's a special case though, being an imperative (command) instead of a declarative statement, so there is no explicitly stated subject of the verb. Also, I threw caution to the wind and put the prepositional phrase at the head of the sentence instead of at the end... daring, I know.

So if I really wanted to be long-winded about it I could restate it like so:

"The least that you could do is own your obnoxiousness, if you do nothing else."

Now if you don't know the meaning of the phrase "Own your whatever," then I'm afraid I can't help you.

That tangent done, the other thing is, there is no hierarchy here, but there are people who have been around a while. You made mention in an earlier post about a whine about political correctness. There, I think that you're mistaken. It's not a question of PC, but one of a basic level of common courtesy.

Own up to my obnoxiousness, okay now I get it. I have never heard anyone take out "up to" while telling someone to own up to something, ever. Also I think I misread it the first time and accidently switched the words "your" and "own" around.
And yes, it is a question of PC because I was very clearly not using the word to be insulting. What country are you from? If you are from England or something, I'll understand the miscommunication.

sinisterplague said:
And yes, it is a question of PC because I was very clearly not using the word to be insulting. What country are you from? If you are from England or something, I'll understand the miscommunication.

I'm in the US and everywhere I've lived, the term "fag" is generally considered offensive for public use unless you're gay and trying to reclaim the word.

Now of course, people will say it casually amongst friends, no offense intended, just like my gfs and I call each other "bitchface" and "whore from whore island," but that's just an odd term of endearment. I would never use those words here on a public forum in that way because I can't assume that they wouldn't offend someone else.

cheaptrickfan said:
I'm in the US and everywhere I've lived, the term "fag" is generally considered offensive for public use unless you're gay and trying to reclaim the word.

Now of course, people will say it casually amongst friends, no offense intended, just like my gfs and I call each other "bitchface" and "whore from whore island," but that's just an odd term of endearment. I would never use those words here on a public forum in that way because I can't assume that they wouldn't offend someone else.

The idea of labeling all nouns "fags" came from 4chan. "fag" is just a replacement word for "person." I do not know if this was the intention of that whole "community," (probably not) but I liked it because 1. "newfag" has a better ring to it to than "n00b" and 2. Its use as an insult/noninsult, takes away the malice originally associated with the word. In short, it makes it no longer an insult. At the very least, it makes it no longer a hurtful insult. Walking around eggshells to avoid offending people (unless you are at work or something) is rather silly because there is always at least someone who will take offense to the most frivolous things.

sinisterplague said:
The idea of labeling all nouns "fags" came from 4chan. "fag" is just a replacement word for "person." I do not know if this was the intention of that whole "community," (probably not) but I liked it because 1. "newfag" has a better ring to it to than "n00b" and 2. Its use as an insult/noninsult, takes away the malice originally associated with the word. In short, it makes it no longer an insult. At the very least, it makes it no longer a hurtful insult. Walking around eggshells to avoid offending people (unless you are at work or something) is rather silly because there is always at least someone who will take offense to the most frivolous things.

4-chan haaaaa.... *cries* Ok, anything that is standard fare on 4-chan is pretty much going to be considered offensive to a lot of the rest of the foruming world.

You know, the rest of your post is a common argument against PC-speech, and while there are indeed some good points to be made about the excesses of PCness, sometimes you have to accept that fact that certain words are just going to be more offensive than others. For example, any use of the n-word or the c-word will get you banned here. So you use them at your own risk.

There is a difference between walking on eggshells and showing a basic level of courtesy, IMO.

But I say, by all means speak your piece. Just don't be surprised when and if people say something about it, that's all.

i have no idea what 4-chan is.. i am not a forum junkie so don't have much experience..

i think that the word 'fag' is offensive in my knuckle-scraping world and sounds like a term for the kids (whatever age they may be).

but i also like the creativity of word-making so maybe you're part of the brave new front of the development of the english language, boldly going where no hamster has gone before.. idk.

time will tell..

cheaptrickfan said:
It loses meaning when it become just a stepping stone to something else, versus a pleasurable or meaningful act in and of itself.

yep, the beast is never satisfied. something is lost then.

sinisterplague said:
2. Its use as an insult/noninsult, takes away the malice originally associated with the word. In short, it makes it no longer an insult. At the very least, it makes it no longer a hurtful insult. Walking around eggshells to avoid offending people (unless you are at work or something) is rather silly because there is always at least someone who will take offense to the most frivolous things.

If things were that easy, the N word would no longer be offensive. Not choosing to say a word with negative connotations is not the same thing as walking on eggshells.

nerdygirl said:
sinisterplague said:
2. Its use as an insult/noninsult, takes away the malice originally associated with the word. In short, it makes it no longer an insult. At the very least, it makes it no longer a hurtful insult. Walking around eggshells to avoid offending people (unless you are at work or something) is rather silly because there is always at least someone who will take offense to the most frivolous things.

If things were that easy, the N word would no longer be offensive. Not choosing to say a word with negative connotations is not the same thing as walking on eggshells.

nur-dee thothmart! we liketh her! :D

nerdygirl said:
All this kissing talk is making me lonely. Quick, somebody kiss me!

I'm probably not your ideal, but here ya go:

smiliebigkiss.gif

:D

nerdygirl said:
cheaptrickfan said:
nerdygirl said:
All this kissing talk is making me lonely. Quick, somebody kiss me!
I'm probably not your ideal, but here ya go:
smiliebigkiss.gif

:D

Whaddya mean, not my ideal? You're awesome. Gimme some more sugar! :D

If JSD finds out that there are girls kissing in this thread, his brain will implode.

As a bonus, click on the image.

cheaptrickfan said:
sinisterplague said:

4-chan haaaaa.... *cries* Ok, anything that is standard fare on 4-chan is pretty much going to be considered offensive to a lot of the rest of the foruming world.

You know, the rest of your post is a common argument against PC-speech, and while there are indeed some good points to be made about the excesses of PCness, sometimes you have to accept that fact that certain words are just going to be more offensive than others. For example, any use of the n-word or the c-word will get you banned here. So you use them at your own risk.
Really the c-word could get you banned? **** I didn't know that. I guess I shouldn't talk about my ex then.
I get your point, but the word "fag" tends to be only offensive universally when talking about a gay person, or it could be just because I'm only in college. But the "N" bomb has more history so there will always be a stigma with it.

sinisterplague said:
Really the c-word could get you banned? **** I didn't know that. I guess I shouldn't talk about my ex then.

Yes, well I'm sure that there are other words that work. "Psycho-*****" pops up here pretty frequently. I'm sure that no one would mind if you used that. :p

sinisterplague said:
I get your point, but the word "fag" tends to be only offensive universally when talking about a gay person, or it could be just because I'm only in college. But the "N" bomb has more history so there will always be a stigma with it.

Certainly, the N-word has a more hateful history attached to it, I'm in no way equating "fag" with it. Nevertheless, many people do find it offensive.

Latest posts

Back