How to care for Introverts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chrism

7221_131812404718_750904718_2288753_1015562_n.jpg

I'm not sure if you've read this before but I think a lot of people here can relate to this. At least I can. Anyway, just thought I'd share it :)

chrism said:

I'm not sure if you've read this before but I think a lot of people here can relate to this. At least I can. Anyway, just thought I'd share it :)

It perfectly fits the persona of an Introvert! Thanks Chrism.

I took one of those personality tests, and I forget what the results were, and I'm not looking through the forum for them, but I don't mind being taught anything publicly. I also don't need 15 minute warning time with anything. I do need time to observe though, and time to think, although I can give instant answers and responses. And I haven't gotten a notice for future changes in my life so far, so I must not need that. And I don't push myself to have a truckload of friends, so no one else will.

I can't relate to all of the items too but I particularly like 3rd to the last. I think not having that is one of the reasons why people are here on this site.

What I find interesting is that this little article seems to treat "Introverts" as a special, abnormal type of person that doesn't fit into society normally, and must therefore be treated gently in a certain manner. That's the feeling I got from it, anyway. Out of curiosity, how old is that thing?

Badjedidude said:
What I find interesting is that this little article seems to treat "Introverts" as a special, abnormal type of person that doesn't fit into society normally, and must therefore be treated gently in a certain manner. That's the feeling I got from it, anyway. Out of curiosity, how old is that thing?

I was thinking the same thing.

Pretty much everything on that list could be applied for everyone, not just introverts.

Badjedidude said:

I thought the same. I thought it kind of sounded like as if introverted people were little kids or something, and needed to be raised a certain way. Still, if it helps some people know and understand, and others can relate to it, I suppose it's a decent list.

I don't know how old is this article, it was just linked to me by a friend. I see what you both mean though. It's more of how to care for an introverted child rather than introverts in general. I don't think that people can be classified into 2 opposite characteristics as some have introverted and extroverted qualities. I posted this for fun mainly and see how people can relate. I was put in a situation that a, let say, extroverted friend of mine was pushing me to be more sociable and sometimes wasn't sensitive enough to know that I wasn't comfortable in some certain situations. But yeah, I understand your point.

chrism said:
I was put in a situation that a, let say, extroverted friend of mine was pushing me to be more sociable and sometimes wasn't sensitive enough to know that I wasn't comfortable in some certain situations. But yeah, I understand your point.

I hate when that happens.

However, your friend doesn't seem like they are trying to cause harm, just trying to bring you out of your shell.

chrism said:

I love it! (How to Care for Introverts list). I find that so true, I wish people would pay attention to that for me.

I liked that too. Unfortunately, a lot of extroverted people are incredibly cruel toward introverted people. They don't understand that quiet doesn't always equate weak. I am a naturally introverted person, however, for job-related and social reasons I had to learn to become an extrovert. I do pretty good at it, but it never comes naturally. I would say it comes almost instinctively now, but never naturally. Ponder that. I know it sounds like a contradiction.

for some reason it made me think of my wife's african grey parrot, not a person. i usually consider myself an introvert, except when around other introverts, then i become an extrovert. i don't need special care like this describes. i don't know anyone who does. maybe i don't really know what an introvert is.

Being a quiet person, isn't an excuse you can hide behind or demand others to treat you differently for. Whether a person is an introvert or an extrovert they can be antagonistic, needy, liars and self pity collectors. I've seen it all in both personality types. Stand up and be decent and some people will treat you well and some others will always try to pull fast ones and hurt you. It's just the way the world works. No one earns points for standing around whining about how unfair other people are. There will always be unfairness, deal with it and get past it. If it happened yesterday it's over, make a fresh start today.

Aberlee said:
Being a quiet person, isn't an excuse you can hide behind or demand others to treat you differently for. Whether a person is an introvert or an extrovert they can be antagonistic, needy, liars and self pity collectors. I've seen it all in both personality types. Stand up and be decent and some people will treat you well and some others will always try to pull fast ones and hurt you. It's just the way the world works. No one earns points for standing around whining about how unfair other people are. There will always be unfairness, deal with it and get past it. If it happened yesterday it's over, make a fresh start today.

I don't think the message of the posted article was to promote people "demanding different treatment and hiding behind things", so much as it was intended to spread understanding of what it means to be a quiet and reserved person. However, you, of course, are entitled to your own view, be it cynical or otherwise. :)

The fifth one definitely applies to me. Nothing irks me more than someone who interrupts me when I'm talking.

<.<
There hasn't been any whining, complaining, hiding, or excuse making in this thread.

That's an interesting list of suggestions. I found a similar list of tips for dealing with extroverts.

* Respect their need to share, to ‘talk it out.’ They get their energy from other people.
* Just as with introverts, never embarrass them in public. If you do embarrass them in public, go along as much as is reasonable if they play it off like a joke.
* Don’t be surprised if they dive into a new situation headfirst. Don’t freak out either if they flounder a little. They’ll find their way.
* Extroverts blurt. It’s the nature of the beast. Most try to leaven it with charm, but try to be patient when they don’t.
* Expect interruptions that may seem rude, to some. Most of the time, they mean well.
* Build surprise into your lives together. Most extroverts love the thrill of not knowing what’s up - as long as it’s positive.
* Be prepared for what looks like ADD. The organically outgoing among us feed off the environment around them. They are often the best multi-taskers around, so understand that they are often paying much more attention to you than you think they are.
* A flashover temper goes with the extroverted personality. The bad thing is it can look like a much more severe storm than it is. The good thing is it’s over quickly.
* Many extroverts live for the intuitive leap. They reach for it. If teaching an extrovert something new, have patience with them jumping ahead of you.
* They will always have lots of friends. But most extroverts have a core of best friends, and their loyalty can be fierce and aggressive if they feel the need to defend those friends. As with so many aspects of the extroverted personality, you may have to be patient with this.
* They love compliments, but can usually see right through insincere flattery. Well-timed encouragement, though, can help an extrovert soar.
* Sometimes, it’s okay to just go along with the “show.” Consider it free entertainment.
* Respect their extroversion. Don’t try to pin them to your board or cage them. And do them a favor, if you are not yourself outgoing, extroverted - gently but persistently remind them to read something like this as often as possible. They probably will need the reminders.

Latest posts

Back