How to make friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dexter said:
But I am not sure if this really helps to make/find a friend in the end?

The goal of this exercise isn't to gain friends but to be more comfortable in spontaneous social situations. It's like a first step. Once you're more comfortable with situations that you would normally avoid, you can take the next step toward being comfortable in groups or making and keeping new friends.

Just be kind. People like kind people who treat them as they want to be treated. At least decent people do.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Just be kind. People like kind people who treat them as they want to be treated. At least decent people do.

+1

I don't think I add much to the group of friends I have and we don't even connect well or can relate to one another. But some of them still ask me out for dinner etc sometimes, and I always wonder why, when we're not even close and we don't connect. I guess because I'm nice to them and they like being my friend? *shrugs*

Case said:
The goal of this exercise isn't to gain friends but to be more comfortable in spontaneous social situations. It's like a first step. Once you're more comfortable with situations that you would normally avoid, you can take the next step toward being comfortable in groups or making and keeping new friends.

I have tried your exercise a little bit now and have noticed some things:
I have no problem with chatting a bit (just some smalltalk) with for example the hair stylist, someone of my university classes or with someone in the gym.
But I just can't approach a totally random stranger on the street and talk to him/her (maybe because of shyness?). However if someone approaches me first, then I have no problem with talking to them (but that happens rarely)

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

I am always kind and nice to everyone, but that didn't help me with making friends so far.

The biggest change I've noticed in my life, between when I was forming new friendships and when everyone started getting "stuck" at acquaintanceship, is openness and vulnerability. The few people I am close to I met and began getting to know when I was more depressed than I am now, and as a result I was more willing to talk about my feelings, problems, etc, in the hopes of finding comfort and connection. At least part of the problem now is how much is kept to myself because embarrassment overrides everything else.

Maybe I should just stop carrying about making/finding a friend?
I am now attending university for about three years and I made it this far without friends, seems like I manage to live my life this far without them. I guess I just try wasting my time on other stuff.

Dexter said:
Maybe I should just stop carrying about making/finding a friend?
I am now attending university for about three years and I made it this far without friends, seems like I manage to live my life this far without them. I guess I just try wasting my time on other stuff.

People have survived alone and will continue to when necessary.

If you consider something a waste of time, though, it's probably not going to be that good for you in the long run.

Does anyone maybe have any additional advices?
Otherwise I think I should really take a break from looking for friends (doesn't work anyway)

You don't. Making friends is a process that happens on it's own, it's not something that you can just make magically happen. I'm going to use a bad analogy, but it's like enjoying your favourite video game. You didn't make yourself enjoy it..you just do or liking your favorite color. There's no reason or way you made yourself like it, you just do. The same thing with making friends, because it is essentially based off of enjoyment and liking one another. So, it's seriously just something that happens. Gah, sorry if that's a bit tough to grasp. >_<

Something that will heighten your chances is spending time with people.
Sorry for the cliche' answer, but it's true! Besides, being around people, you'll always have to eventually talk to someone. Trust me, it will happens! Take it from a person who suffers from social anxiety! lol >__> Just make the best out of it when it happens!

Reverie said:
You don't. Making friends is a process that happens on it's own, it's not something that you can just make magically happen. I'm going to use a bad analogy, but it's like enjoying your favourite video game. You didn't make yourself enjoy it..you just do or liking your favorite color. There's no reason or way you made yourself like it, you just do. The same thing with making friends, because it is essentially based off of enjoyment and liking one another. So, it's seriously just something that happens. Gah, sorry if that's a bit tough to grasp. >_<

Sorry for the cliche' answer, but it's true! Besides, being around people, you'll always have to eventually talk to someone. Trust me, it will happens! Take it from a person who suffers from social anxiety! lol >__> Just make the best out of it when it happens!

Spending your time around other people is of course a way to improve your chances for forming friendships.
It is just a bit difficult to spend your time around people if there are no people you can hang around with in the first place.

Dexter said:
Reverie said:

Spending your time around other people is of course a way to improve your chances for forming friendships.
It is just a bit difficult to spend your time around people if there are no people you can hang around with in the first place.

Well, can you volunteer and/or join a club or camp of one of your interest, so something where you're not directly hanging out with people, but you have to socialize anyway? It'll give you a reason to be around people in the first place, so something like having friends is more likely to happen. I'm thinking of joining a yoga group I've found on the website of a big library I go to. Group clubs seem to be quite easy to get into. Especially, volunteering as help is always needed somewhere. An old people's home might be what to do.... if you'd like to be friends with old people! XP But even then, they can introduce you to someone & who's know, the people you work with can be young as well! Either freaking way, it still heightens your chances of making friends, where being alone give you zero chances.

Just keep in mind you can't just make friendship happens and you can't just make anyone like someone. Follow the chessy-as-fresia cliche line and just be yourself. Just get out there somehow!

I would suggest tiny baby steps to start growing.

I am very introverted as well. When I was young I was so quiet and never initiated anything.

Now I am in my 40s and I am considered "vivacious" and sociable! Yes, I am still introverted and need LOTS of quiet/"me" time but now I can honestly say I love to chit chat, make conversation, make new connections, LISTEN, share stories, laugh, create parties (I have my own meet up group). It's made my life fuller and more fun while still being an introvert.

But it took time and risk to get to this place. Oh, also something very important...if you seek out others with similar interests, values...you are more likely to get out of your shell. I love books and art, for example. I am not a "partier" and have never been my whole life. I hang out with people who feel the same or are on a similar wavelength thus I feel more comfortable. You need to connect with other introverts...they are out there.

When I was younger it was harder because I was forced, or didn't find, others similar to me. So I always felt this pressure to "party" or be something I was not. Once that is removed it does get easier and easier to take a risk and grow. Heck I don't even go to bars because I don't drink...so if you outside the mainstream you have to find a "stream" that fits you.

I also discovered that it's better to be a "light" person instead of a heavy person. Duh! When I was a young person I think I was so sad from family issues and self esteem issues I was a "downer". This does not attract healthy, fun, friendships! It took me awhile to grow into my new self...the new self that does feel and does feel sad but the self that also loves to be light, fun, happy and laugh. You make bonds more via fun rather than sadness (even though the other understands your sadness).

jayme89 said:
Well, here's something I learned about the qualities of a good friend. 1) they have the ability not to gossip and 2) when you talk, they listen to what you say. This is what you should look for in friends and also traits that you should possess to be a good friend to others. If you gossip about someone else to me, who's to say you wouldn't say those things about me to someone else, right? And a friend who goes on and on about their life and problems and never listens to what you say is a leech. Not worth anyones time or energy.

Next, people are more likely to want to talk to someone that looks approachable. Smiling helps with approachability. Many shy people have that default sad face or frown (unconscious of course) which doesn't make others want to come up to them.

Also, ask others questions. Get them talking. People love to talk about themselves! I learned this awhile ago and its helped me improve how I appear to others. You don't have to be a chatterbox and ramble on to get others to like you, in fact that does the opposite (you may come across as obnoxious). So when you're with another person just try to get them talking by asking open ended questions. You'll trick them into thinking you are a great conversationalist! Plus, you'll show them that you're a great listener making them more likely to want to talk to you again.

These are just ways to improve you're approachability and conversation skills with others so you can start forming more connections. Remember, you can't make anyone be your friend and you shouldn't try to. True friendships take a lot of time.

Thank you for your advices, they are really good.
But nevertheless I guess I am just pretty bad at socializing.

Reverie said:
Well, can you volunteer and/or join a club or camp of one of your interest, so something where you're not directly hanging out with people, but you have to socialize anyway? It'll give you a reason to be around people in the first place, so something like having friends is more likely to happen. I'm thinking of joining a yoga group I've found on the website of a big library I go to. Group clubs seem to be quite easy to get into. Especially, volunteering as help is always needed somewhere. An old people's home might be what to do.... if you'd like to be friends with old people! XP But even then, they can introduce you to someone & who's know, the people you work with can be young as well! Either freaking way, it still heightens your chances of making friends, where being alone give you zero chances.

Just keep in mind you can't just make friendship happens and you can't just make anyone like someone. Follow the chessy-as-fresia cliche line and just be yourself. Just get out there somehow!

I could join a club and go there but that doesn't have to result in making friends there for example (I am speaking from experience)

Dont waste time to seach for a friend...just deal with it and live lonley..think of all the time you have for u self..thats how i do and it works fine :cool:

Psycrow said:
Dont waste time to seach for a friend...just deal with it and live lonley..think of all the time you have for u self..thats how i do and it works fine :cool:

You seem to contradict yourself Psy- previous posts have indicated being on dating sites, attempts to use Skype to connect, and not having anyone to text....is it really working fine for you?

Psycrow said:

It is great if it really works for you, but I don't think it will work for me.

Psycrow said:
think of all the time you have for u self
I already have more than enough time for myself, way too much time for myself :)

So ... what now?
There are some great answers in this thread, but unfortunately I still don't really know what I should do ......

Dexter said:
Thank you for your advices, they are really good.
But nevertheless I guess I am just pretty bad at socializing.

Reverie said:

I could join a club and go there but that doesn't have to result in making friends there for example (I am speaking from experience)

NOTHING will guaranteed you results in making friends. All you have control of is increasing your chances of having them. So, take control of what you can & have at it already! :)

Reverie said:
NOTHING will guaranteed you results in making friends. All you have control of is increasing your chances of having them. So, take control of what you can & have at it already! :)

I think you are right, I neither can force someone to be my friend nor can I make that somehow magically happen.
But there are ways to increase my chances for encountering someone who could become a friend and that is what I am going to try now! :)

Latest posts

Back