I can only talk to groups....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowzan

Reaction score
Ok, so here's my social problem....

I can talk to a group of people no problem. Hell, you can set me in front of a stadium full of people and I can entertain them all. I'm really that confident with groups. I think of myself as an entertainer and entertaining people is what keeps me going sometimes.

When it comes to one on one, though......I lose it. I can't think of anything to talk about and I can't keep a conversation going.

How am I supposed to make friends when I can only convey myself to people in a non-serious tone on a macro level?

I can't be micro! Ahhhh! Does anyone else have this problem?

The be the clown is an easy way to not have to bother with all the emosional crap that we ppl have to deal with on any given day.

I know ppl that I find it easier to talk to in a group only cos I have nothing personally in common with them. So talking to them on a one to one basis is obviously going to be moor difficult.

I would just say that you need to find a friend that you have stuff to talk about with. How you find one of them ppl with in the group and then translate that into a one to one conversation is of course an entirely different matter.

Maybe try and think of some subjects to talk about first. Like the football if your into it or something else. I do know really but what ever your into. If that don't work then maybe there not into what you are and you then would be beast of not being friends with them anyway and to find someone that is into the same as you.

If your anything like me then your not into a lot that well get a good conversation going. If that's the case then you just got to learn to bluff it :p lol Works for me :D

It's an awesome ability you have. I'm, on the contrary, always silent in groups, I never know how to contribute to a group conversation, not quick-witted enough for that. I'm most comfortable talking one on one or with two people at most. But it also works only if we have something in common, I suck big time at making small talk, and when I try it sounds oh so phony.

You don't like the up close and personal stuff eh?
Like a person looking you in the eyes and know whether you're fool of honeysuckle or not...

If you can't keep a conversations going....try listening people.
It dosn't have to be all about you. You don't always have to be the center of attention.

Silvernight said:
I never know how to contribute to a group conversation, not quick-witted enough for that.

Ever think of something really witty to say about 3 minutes after you should have said it? I'm always doing it xD

As for the thread topic.. not sure I'd me much help - I'm pretty clueless no matter how many people there are to talk to. Lots of famous entertainers seem to be (or have been) surprisingly lonely or depressed though.

You sound like the exact opposite of me. I'd much rather talk to someone in private, one-on-one, than in a group situation.

Shadowzan said:
Ok, so here's my social problem....

I can talk to a group of people no problem. Hell, you can set me in front of a stadium full of people and I can entertain them all. I'm really that confident with groups. I think of myself as an entertainer and entertaining people is what keeps me going sometimes.

When it comes to one on one, though......I lose it. I can't think of anything to talk about and I can't keep a conversation going.

How am I supposed to make friends when I can only convey myself to people in a non-serious tone on a macro level?

I can't be micro! Ahhhh! Does anyone else have this problem?

I think it's pretty amusing that the same terms you use to describe socializing can also be applied to economics. point for you.

Ratley said:
Silvernight said:
I never know how to contribute to a group conversation, not quick-witted enough for that.

Ever think of something really witty to say about 3 minutes after you should have said it? I'm always doing it xD

Sounds horribly familiar :D

For me,I am pretty bad at group talk but good at one to one conversation.

Hae a subject and talk about it.Sometimes it may feel uncomfortable because you are focusing your attention on one person and that person is focusing his or her attention on you.

Listen is a good way to get the conversation going.

LoL... I feel I have the opposite problem, one to one I'm ok, But get me in front of a group of people and I freeze. Suddenly you aware of every move and word you speak. You can feel everyone's eyes follow you, your on center stage and if you fail everyone knows.
when your talking with just one person, its not so bad. You just got to try and read their signals, keep eyes on their movements. If they look like their not enjoying it just back down a bit, etc

I'm kinda inbetween the two extremes- I hate big groups of people, if I'm in front of them I get really nervous and freeze up, always have done. In a social situation if there's a large group I tend to end up in the background, or excluded entirely. If there's two or three people I'm pretty relaxed and comfortable, will crack jokes and the like, but if there's just one person, I find it really awkward, cos I'm really bad at making eye-contact, and I always feel under pressure. I'm getting better- if it's someone that I know well, then I'm OK with one-on-one conversation, just about. The conversation still seems kinda forced at times, tho.
Sorry, I don't think I'm gonna be much help with the thread topic, conversation is still a bit of a closed book to me in many respects...

Latest posts

Back