I feel sad when I see pictures...scrapbooks of people with their friends...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sole.2010 said:
Facebook is exactly what depressed the crap out of me today.

But now that Im thinking more about it, facebook and all this social networking crap is where people go and show off and create this facebook persona that is so far away from the real one.

I can tell you that on my facebook you will find many pictures of me and my few friends smiling and having a good time, me looking great/ happy, and getting posts from people that when we run into each other in real life we barely say hi and bye... its all fake.... I lead a very boring life and most of the pictures there are from few random occasions and the only reason why I seem so happy on facebook is because I never take a picture of when im feeling like crap and in my bed and post it!....

*hope you feel better*
*hug*

treat everything on this Internet like i do. when i turn it off it dose not exist anymore. take everything on the net with a grain of salt.

facebook and the rest of them kind of sites. all fake again when i close it out it dose not exist anymore (kinda like turning off the tv)

Haz said:
Luna, i've had this exact feeling for most of my adult life.

Once social networking sites such as facebook started coming into the scene I avoided them because I could not bear to see the photos of the memories of others on display for all to see, to me it represented some sort of profound emptiness within my heart where my social anxieties and inability to connect with people had left me feeling as if I am missing out on living.

It was particularly bad for me when it came to love interests, seeing photos of everybody she had associated with over the years holding her and smiling at the exciting events she had been to dressed up all pretty and looking like a million dollars always left me feeling socially inadequate. I would fear learning more about people I had developed a fledgling relationship with due to the sheer despair I would feel, as if I am missing out on living, what could I possibly offer someone who has seemed to have done all this, etc.

Remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side, people rarely keep photos of the bad times. I ended up conquering these feelings, familiarity with the medium and an open mind to learning about the lives of other people (which is a whole lot more mundane than some of us give it credit for) is key. I try and approach learning about people with a sense of excitement nowadays :)

This is exactly how I feel about Facebook and all of those stupid social networking sites. People will put up all of their happy memories while leaving out the bad. And unfortunately, that can lead you into thinking that they have rich social lives, which may OR MAY NOT be true. Appearances can be deceptive.

I think of social networking as popularity contests. Who has the most friends? The most pictures, videos, comments? People like this aren't trying to use these mediums (as they were intended) to communicate with their friends online as much as they are trying to gloat and make themselves feel important at the expense of others.

Luna said:
Today, I tried to keep myself busy...
I went out and had dinner by myself...
And everywhere, everyone had someone...
Laughing, talking...fresia them...

Your post has a poetic quality to it. Very nice.

It sounds like you're suffering from the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. A lot of people act their way through life. We have a certain notion or idea about how we should behave in a situation and some people actually will follow that example like an actor following a script even if they are not feeling it in their heart.

You may see a lot of couples laughing and smiling at each other. Some of this may be real. Some of may be fake. Just because you see a guy holding a girls hand doesn't mean he doesn't spend his nights thinking about an ex, wanting and hoping to get back with her. Yet he will act as though he loves his current girlfriend because that is what you're supposed to feel, right? Then they'll get married, have a bunch of kids, he'll cheat on her with a string of affairs because he wasn't really happy in his marriage, and then everything will end in divorce. Now, this is a hypothetical situation, but it illustrates all of the unhappiness that you didn't see. All you saw was the happy couple in a restaurant, which led you to an inaccurate conclusion. If you were to inquire further and learn more about each of these couples or group of friends, you would begin to see the cracks in the relationship that they try to hide from others out of embarrassment. It sucks that you feel like your own social life is inferior to others, but what you see in public places is not usually the whole story.

Luna said:
At my workplace, at their homes...on the internet, it seems that so many people have pictures of themselves with their friends laughing and smiling.
Celebrating the "good times" and "memories" that they shared.

All my pictures...the few that I do keep, I am alone.

I am making a scrap-book of my travels, and took a look at some examples online...and of course, a lot of the pictures had friends together all sharing a laugh and having fun.
There are some nice scrap-booking albums and supplies out here, but I found that many of them will have the words
"Friends" "Memories together" "Shared laughs" etc. as part of the design.
Anything of the sort...I do not buy. Why would I?

It seems that I am reminded constantly...on a daily basis...of how alone I am...

At work, when I walk to my desk every.*******.day. everyone has pictures of themselves with their friends...celebrating their graduations, vacations together etc. in their cubicles...
My walls are bare except for the few work papers that I'll stick on.
I bought a little plant for myself, and a cute toy pig in attempt to brighten up my mood...but no, I still feel cold.

That deep...sinking feeling in my heart is all I ever feel...

I hate to see pictures of people together...
Especially pictures of people my age, having fun...
Facebook and all those social networking sites are for "connecting" with others...
For me, I only feel more and more disconnected...
I couldn't stand it anymore, and deleted my FB account...

I hate to see people with their friends together...
I hate to see people call, text others...
My phone never rings.
When it does, it's a list of orders that I get from my family...

Spring is near and people will be out together at the movies...
Couples kissing and holding hands...
People going on road trips, camping together...
fresia it...
I love traveling, but I crave not to have to do it alone...again...
Even traveling groups, I don't fit in...
I can't seem to start or maintain a person's interest...
I just wish I had someone by my side...
We don't have to speak much, but please...just for once, I wish someone would want to be with me...

I don't even know why I bother?
I have tried and tried to connect with people, but I can't relate...
Even if I take an interest in befriending them, it's never returned...

Online friendships helped me cope before...
But even then, it's not enough for me...
I don't even feel connected online...
I've stopped going to the ALL chats for that reason...
All I have to speak of is my sadness...
I can't even joke anymore...
I just feel empty and that I'm stepping closer and closer to my breaking point...

It's usually the same people that come back and read my posts...
I can't change, and even if I do change...fate doesn't change with me...
I don't know how to help myself.

I'm tired of trying...
I think the best thing to do is to wait until I just finally snap...

Same here, I totally understand.

Facebook can be rrrreeeeeaaaaalllll depressing if you don't have that much going on in your life. My walls and photo albums look mighty bare when compared to other people's. I wish there was an easier answer or fix to this, but there's not.

I am an active facebook user and I think it is really great for connecting with long lost friends and relatives from different parts of the world... BUT I agree with you all about people gloating and trying to present themselves as the coolest & having the best times of their lives (if they are then I am happy for them). However, I believe it is a mask that people put on to get through the day. I actually find it funny when they post i love you to a spouse when they are together all the time... What's that for? Why do they have to announce it to the whole world?

Anyways, I am a photography enthusiast and most of the photos that I take now are not of myself but of other people, places etc. I get satisfaction when I take a particularly good photo that unmasks people. My avatar picture is a candid photo that I took in a tennis open, she had this expression for about a minute or two then had to put on her mask again for the public and smile for the cameras. Photography is an activity that you could do by your lonesome self. It helped me go through a difficult situation for the last few months after separating from my fiancee. Maybe you could take this hobby and instead of longing to post photos of yourself with other people, you could post your travel photos and create your own memories from when & how you took the photos. Maybe you will find friends thru this hobby.

Everyday passes by the same.
The one small joy in my life cannot talk and depends on Me for comfort.
I realize I actually prefer to be alone.
My life surrounds a small jewel and a 17inch monitor.
I have so many persona's, I'm unsure which is the real me.
And even with so many persona's and false ties with the outside world,
Even then, even now I'm still Alone.

There are times when I actually preferred to be alone... for the simple fact that it is tiring to put on a brave front for other people, of putting on a happy mask when great things are happening to them and you are feeling honeysuckle... It is really tiring.

Hmm, I can actually relate to all of the posts. Luna describes it very well. I have a facebook account which contains pictures of me and my friends, but lately I erased all of those pictures coz it feels like I'm wearing a mask. So now it's just some picture of myself, and I don't go to FB so often anymore.

Hmm, I can actually relate to all of the posts. Luna describes it very well. I have a facebook account which contains pictures of me and my friends, but lately I erased all of those pictures coz it feels like I'm wearing a mask. So sick of that :) So now it's just some picture of myself, also I don't go to FB so often anymore.

Hi Luna, your post and most of the replies describe me perfectly.

Im 24, and ive felt like this all my life. It started to get bad in the 3rd grade. I dont understand it. Im alright looking, have a nice car, and Im a very nice person.

Ive come to accept thing the way they are. Some people are just different and dont fit it. I have had two beautiful friendships, which ended due to factors beyond our control. So I always carry the hope that one day I will find something like that again.

My advice is to keep yourself busy, work hard at getting a good education, and good job. Eventually the universe will universe will send you someone. If you are a good person and have a good heart eventually someone will notice.

And smile.

Hi, I just signed up minutes ago. I have an idea what you go through. I tossed and turned in the bed and just couldn't ignore how ******* lonely and abandoned I am. I moved from my hometown years ago and it seems that I'm doing all the calling and initiating except for one sister. My best friends call me once every 2-12 months and always mention they haven't heard from me for a while. In this day and age where the computers are everywhere, smart phones can text anywhere and cell plans hardly roam anywhere, why always me doing the calling, why don't they call me or write me?! Not one has visited me in all the place I've lived, but I'm expected to visit when I'm in town, yet I see those cute FB pictures of their vacations. Never enough time to visit, but cruises and Europe are common. Hunh! I can't complain too much because I get along well socially, but I feel so betrayed! My mother travels all over , but has only visited me once in the past 15 years, yet I try to see her 1-2x yearly. Wouldn't be so bad except packing the 3 children for a minimal 18 hour drive is exhausting. Thanks for the gas and hotel money mom, but would be nice to sleep on your floor with the kids just so I can feel like I'm wanted in your home.I have so much to say, but feel little better. I'm not as lonely as you yet, but the pain still hurts. I hope you keep posting because right now the people here are closer to e than people I personally know. Peace!

Vic Sage said:
Facebook can be rrrreeeeeaaaaalllll depressing if you don't have that much going on in your life. My walls and photo albums look mighty bare when compared to other people's. I wish there was an easier answer or fix to this, but there's not.

I agree. I always see pictures of my friends and their friends when I'm browsing the Home page.

Lost Soul said:
Vic Sage said:

I agree. I always see pictures of my friends and their friends when I'm browsing the Home page.

Maybe an easy answer is to add each other =P

I wouldnt mind people from here adding me. I see it as a good way to make friends.

I think that's quite a good idea ghostman! :)

I totally feel the same way as the original poster and a lot of people on here, regarding looking on FB and feeling depressed by seeing all my 'friends' with groups of thier friends. I thought it was just me who felt that way. :(

Luna said:
At my workplace, at their homes...on the internet, it seems that so many people have pictures of themselves with their friends laughing and smiling.
Celebrating the "good times" and "memories" that they shared.

All my pictures...the few that I do keep, I am alone.

I am making a scrap-book of my travels, and took a look at some examples online...and of course, a lot of the pictures had friends together all sharing a laugh and having fun.
There are some nice scrap-booking albums and supplies out here, but I found that many of them will have the words
"Friends" "Memories together" "Shared laughs" etc. as part of the design.
Anything of the sort...I do not buy. Why would I?

It seems that I am reminded constantly...on a daily basis...of how alone I am...

At work, when I walk to my desk every.*******.day. everyone has pictures of themselves with their friends...celebrating their graduations, vacations together etc. in their cubicles...
My walls are bare except for the few work papers that I'll stick on.
I bought a little plant for myself, and a cute toy pig in attempt to brighten up my mood...but no, I still feel cold.

That deep...sinking feeling in my heart is all I ever feel...

I hate to see pictures of people together...
Especially pictures of people my age, having fun...
Facebook and all those social networking sites are for "connecting" with others...
For me, I only feel more and more disconnected...
I couldn't stand it anymore, and deleted my FB account...

I hate to see people with their friends together...
I hate to see people call, text others...
My phone never rings.
When it does, it's a list of orders that I get from my family...

Spring is near and people will be out together at the movies...
Couples kissing and holding hands...
People going on road trips, camping together...
fresia it...
I love traveling, but I crave not to have to do it alone...again...
Even traveling groups, I don't fit in...
I can't seem to start or maintain a person's interest...
I just wish I had someone by my side...
We don't have to speak much, but please...just for once, I wish someone would want to be with me...

I don't even know why I bother?
I have tried and tried to connect with people, but I can't relate...
Even if I take an interest in befriending them, it's never returned...

Online friendships helped me cope before...
But even then, it's not enough for me...
I don't even feel connected online...
I've stopped going to the ALL chats for that reason...
All I have to speak of is my sadness...
I can't even joke anymore...
I just feel empty and that I'm stepping closer and closer to my breaking point...

It's usually the same people that come back and read my posts...
I can't change, and even if I do change...fate doesn't change with me...
I don't know how to help myself.

I'm tired of trying...
I think the best thing to do is to wait until I just finally snap...

I think this is so well said, it so much of it explains about me too. I can really relate to this.If only I could write like that but my communication skills suck becuase there pretty basic mostly.

I don't think I, personally, ever feel sad when I see these things. I used to, I guess, but it's been so long that I'm so detached from these kinds of pictures and things because they seem to make-believe and plastic.

But I get it, when people tell me about stuff they're doing - my heart sinks, and I realize I'm not getting the most out of my life - I'm letting it pass by like a lazy saturday. That's what hurts me.

Oops off topic kinda

You're not alone in this. I think many people struggle with the same problems. I do too. I don't have many real friends as well. They all left at some point.

It's not that I don't mind. Let them lead the life they want. The social networksites are indeed also a scam sometimes. In the years I posted myself on them I just won two people who wanted to carry things further and make a real friendship. The others just like your pictures or sent stupid things. Btw, I really hate those spam bots who are active there. They bug me like crazy!

But I can say that you need to look positive at it. For instance be nice and friendly to your collegues. Look past their pictures and show them who you are. They don't have to become your closest friends but they will know what you can give. On vacations, you will be on your own but you plan something to see and go see for yourself. You don't need anyone to see it with you (but on the otherside it would make things easier).

Friends will come and I think that this website gives you this opportunity. Here you are not alone!

I usually avoid looking at other peoples photos on the Net now becuase it just shows them with friends and having a good time, and some times some of them are edited with words on them to express their love and friendship. :(

This really depresses me.

Hi to all.
I am a newbie.
Today is dark , just like yesterday - mood.
I am generally a cheerful person .
Last week I was laid off .
Have been looking for a new jodb for months now .
I cannot stand being home doing nothing .
I wait for a phone call - and there is none .
I am thinking of throwing it all in - and become a gypsy.

Latest posts

Back