I just need to vent and rant...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VideoVidiVisum

Reaction score
Okay, so almost exactly three years ago when I only had a few months SI free and was still struggling daily with it, I met someone.

I was at my dad's NA home group, and since it was nice and sunny out I decided to walk over to the dock and hang out there. (I hadn't started going to NA for myself yet.)

At the dock, there were a few people messing with their boats, the usual crowd. But then there was a boy around my age who was just walking his dog. His dog came up to me and I of course pet it. The boy sat down next to me and threw a couple sticks for the dog, and we started talking. His name was Tucker. He was a year older than me. And he had a year SI free. It seemed like we had a lot in common.

Time went on and we exchanged numbers and texted a lot. We met up at the dock for several Sundays. We even had an incident where we kissed in the library. For various reasons, we never actually dated, but we got very, very close. He trusted me with things that most people don't know to this day. And I did, and still do, trust him implicitly.

Flash forward to a few weeks ago. He was browsing his facebook for people to text, and saw me. Texted me. I had just broken off my engagement a few weeks prior, and it was nice to talk to someone I trusted so much.

I'm in a place where I don't want to rush into any relationship at all. I'm not interested in anything serious. But this boy is someone who I never stopped liking, not really. I can honestly say I love him. I'm not IN love with him, but I do love him. So when we started talking and hanging out... my feelings and emotions were compromised.

We ended up sleeping together. I broke it off. Told him I just wanted to be friends, because otherwise I'd fall for him way too hard. He told me he really likes me, a lot. Yay, right? Except he isn't in a place personally where he can be in a committed relationship. He's "still growing up" and he wouldn't be able to stay faithful. "It might not happen right away, but it would happen."

Which, hey, kudos to him for the honesty. I really really appreciate it. I still trust him, because he's given me no reason not to. But man does it hurt. It hurts a LOT. Every time we talk, one of us says something like "I miss you" and it breaks me.

Last week he was sick. Like, at the doctors constantly and on meds sick. I was pretty concerned. I wanted nothing more than to be there to take care of him. I checked in on him every day regardless of whether he responded. On Sunday, I took a picture of myself on the dock. Sent it to him. That night, I wrote a poem called "Just Another Sunday at the Dock."

There isn't really anything I can do, but I've been hurting. Cried myself to sleep the other night over him.

I'm lonely.

It's hard getting through times when you're not ready for a serious relationship. But it sounds like he's in the same place... Hopefully one day you'll both be ready? (And I hope he feels better soon!) *hugs*

Well it kind of sucks because I'm cool with going on casual dates. But not with him. Because there's no guarantee he'd actually want me if it came down to it. And he is feeling much better now =] (hug)

I'm sorry. It sounds like you can keep him as a friend but you have to keep him at arm's length because he might hurt you.

btw you can text me any time and blabber.

I like talking to you viv.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You met a guy, went on "little dates"...etc. Ended up sleeping with, then you broke it off right afterwards. After you broke it off, he told you he likes you, but isn't looking for a committed relationship (and you said you weren't looking for one either "I'm not interested in anything serious"). Seems like a pretty nice guy if you ask me, given that he was honest (I know many guys are complete ******** about getting sex).

So waht exactly is the problem here? Why not try to enjoy the moments you spent together and move on. If you feel like you really like him, but know you can't be together for good reasons, simply distance yourself from him and contact him less. Move on, he isn't the only guy on the planet. I understand you have a whole bunch of chemicals in your brain making you feel a certain way, but IMO the more the stay in contact with him, the worse it will become until it blows up. You don't have to lie to him about the reason for not staying in touch as much.

passage said:
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You met a guy, went on "little dates"...etc. Ended up sleeping with, then you broke it off right afterwards. After you broke it off, he told you he likes you, but isn't looking for a committed relationship (and you said you weren't looking for one either "I'm not interested in anything serious"). Seems like a pretty nice guy if you ask me, given that he was honest (I know many guys are complete ******** about getting sex).
If you read correctly, i said that myself. He is a great guy. Very honest. Very worth my time. Also, yes, we only went on little dates. However, we also spent 3 years pouring our guts out to each other because there was trust to fall back on. So don't cheapen it with little quotation marks and by skipping over it.

passage said:
So waht exactly is the problem here? Why not try to enjoy the moments you spent together and move on. If you feel like you really like him, but know you can't be together for good reasons, simply distance yourself from him and contact him less.
He is one of my best friends. I refuse to just drop him because I like him. Seems counter-intuitive to me.

passage said:
Move on, he isn't the only guy on the planet. I understand you have a whole bunch of chemicals in your brain making you feel a certain way, but IMO the more the stay in contact with him, the worse it will become until it blows up.
It's really not the chemicals. The less time I spend with him the more I romanticize him. Other men have plenty of time to fresia with my endorphins.

passage said:
You don't have to lie to him about the reason for not staying in touch as much.
Where did I say a **** thing about lying to him? I haven't lied to him since 2009 when I told him I didn't like him and then turned the color of a tomato, subsequently coming clean in a matter of minutes.

I feel like you didn't really have anything to say, simply skimmed the post, and then wrote something you thought would sound smart and rational and make people take notice.

I agree with Callie sometimes theres not an easy answer but it was a sad story that might still have a happy ending one day.

Maybe the best person to talk about this to is him to be honest, you seem to understand each other well and are able to say how you feel. I think if you have that you'll be able to work out something that works best for both of you.

"Whatever works"... that should be your thinking. Good luck!

*hugs* Vivy. I'm sorry that you are going through this. But if I may share what I think (from what I have understood with what you said) I think it's also not healthy to be his friend while still liking him, specially when you also don't feel like you are ready for a relationship. I don't mean you should end up your friendship, cos you'll forever be friends as long as you see each other as that. But it would hurt you badly to talk to him regularly, be his friend when there's still a part of you that might want him more than that. If you're not ready for a relationship, give your self sometime of her own, give your heart a time to relax. Treat yourself and just take care of yourself. Cos this person might be a good friend to you, but good friends can also hurt us, much much worse than people who are not our friends, because they actually mean a lot to us. It might help you to distance yourself a bit cos even if you don't go out on dates, it won't stop your heart from the possibility of really falling for him. From how you described him, he sounds like someone who would understand if you focus on yourself for now. Just this time when you're going through some tough times. take care of yourself and hugs. :)

The Good Citizen said:
I agree with Callie sometimes theres not an easy answer but it was a sad story that might still have a happy ending one day.

Maybe the best person to talk about this to is him to be honest, you seem to understand each other well and are able to say how you feel. I think if you have that you'll be able to work out something that works best for both of you.

"Whatever works"... that should be your thinking. Good luck!
yeah, or "whatever happens, happens" lol

floffyschneeman said:
*hugs* Vivy. I'm sorry that you are going through this. But if I may share what I think (from what I have understood with what you said) I think it's also not healthy to be his friend while still liking him, specially when you also don't feel like you are ready for a relationship. I don't mean you should end up your friendship, cos you'll forever be friends as long as you see each other as that. But it would hurt you badly to talk to him regularly, be his friend when there's still a part of you that might want him more than that. If you're not ready for a relationship, give your self sometime of her own, give your heart a time to relax. Treat yourself and just take care of yourself. Cos this person might be a good friend to you, but good friends can also hurt us, much much worse than people who are not our friends, because they actually mean a lot to us. It might help you to distance yourself a bit cos even if you don't go out on dates, it won't stop your heart from the possibility of really falling for him. From how you described him, he sounds like someone who would understand if you focus on yourself for now. Just this time when you're going through some tough times. take care of yourself and hugs. :)
You're probably right, and I've been distancing myself. But I don't think I'm ready yet to let go of the type of friendship we have atm.

You just gatta feel that love and peace inside of you somehow.
YOu have it already. its always been there. You where borned with it.
You havnt grown up that much yet...which is a good thing. Your not all that sick.
Some of us are sicker than others....
You havnt forgotten your innocents...the unconditional love you have for yourself already.

Latest posts

Back