interest groups

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
I'm looking to get in touch with people who want to discuss their interests. Those don't have to be _my_ current interests because I'm looking to broaden my horizons and it's entirely possible that what someone else is into will become something I'm into as well. If some activity or object or concept occupies your mind and feelings, tell me about them and we'll see whether they make me curious.

Since I'm between jobs right now I actually have more going on than usual...all the extra time/energy etc.

I'm relearning programming (C++ to start, probably QT to follow)
Learning Spanish (Duolingo is phenomenal, decent community) If I manage to learn it, I'll certainly move onto others.
I have in the past few years gone bungee jumping a few times, and next weekend I'm going on a hot air balloon ride (my wife and I are scared of heights, so it's good therapy). Ziplining has fit in there too.
We occasionally drive out to the coast to play in the ocean.
I used to enjoy hobby role-playing (Paladium, AD&D, for preference)
Putting together models, hobby electronics, playing with magnets, conducting other nerd-related activities.
Masturbating
Community Theater (a lot of fun, but there's a pretty hefty time-investment. It's another repository of the socially awkward, so if you're even a little confident (and not too douchy) you can be king :) )
I've played around in local politics - didn't care for it much, but it's something to do.
Hobby gardening - I grow my weed of course, but we also grow fruits and vegetables. Not enough to live off of, but enough to ease the burden and give us some tasty treats.
Auto repair - not really a hobby, more of a necessity. This one is terminally on the back burner for me, just like my motorcycle repair. Too much other crap going on.
We just bought what we hope will be our permanent house, so we've been doing a lot of home improvement stuff.
Community College courses (even noncredit classes) have done ok as far as introducing me to other people with like-interests

Pft...what else? Besides everything? If we can afford it, this fall we'll be learning how to hunt/skin/etcetcetc, which should be fun.

In that vein I play around occasionally with my guitar, with my bow and arrow, and trying to learn how to juggle. Oh, and if I'm feeling ambitious I try to ride a unicycle.

I can't think of anything else, but if nothing there gives you any ideas I don't know what else to tell you :D

I'm kind of overwhelmed. If I can pick out one, two or three of those things to discuss further with you, I shall.

:) No problem, I totally get it. The proverbial "Jack of all trades, master of none" sort of thing...but I'm getting a little better :)

Most of what's listed above are either past interests or things that are indefinitely on the back burner...I was just giving you some ideas of what has/hasn't been particularly good for my social life.

I figured I should latch on to this post and try to establish a list of things I like and/or am interested in as it's rather disturbingly startling how little there is of that. I don't know if I should have included the voyeurism part but I guess I was kind of grasping at straws. None of these are very developed to the point where I could talk much about them and many are nothing more than passing whims. Still, I guess it's a start:

I'm very interested in acting as well but I'm completely at a loss as to how or where to go to do anything to express that. It would be cool if there was like a group or something.

I like running long distances.

I like going to metal concerts, raves, or music in general although paradoxically I don't actually really know much about music and I don't think I could actually hold a conversation about music.

I like writing in the abstract sense of it would be cool to write something odd to have a laugh but hate the actual process of writing and the organizational concentration it takes to do so.

I like stand up comedy, humor and general absurdity. I don't like to take things seriously because doing so tends to remind me how bad I am at handling basic things in life.

I have kind of an interest psychological conditions and the bizarre but true things that happen, people snapping, serial killers,...I always wonder what makes people the way they are

Voyeurism

Dancing, because why not,that sounds fun

Trolling internet forums (I barely ever post but I spend far too much time looking at what other people post and wondering what it's like to be them)

I keep thinking I should get more into anime or Magic but I never do

I also think I could totally follow competitve eating the way most people follow other sports, establish a fantasy league, etc...idk just think it'd be cool to be avant garde

Unicorns

Negative thoughts

So there's a list of things I sort of could like. I'm not really sure why I posted though.

Oh, I also keep thinking I should teach myself philosophy if only to make myself sound more intelligent at parties

What you describe isn't trolling but lurking. Every time I join a new group conversation medium I order myself to lurk for at least four weeks before posting anything, but I always fail. :(

designing digital solutions to problems (it sounds like a job, in my case it's still halfway with a hobby)
shooting/ directing movies (that one is in the past)
I'll have to add stand up comedy / and cracked.com!
activism - ecological stuff, human rights etc
jazz - finally learning some theory and learning some instruments a bit better
I love Arduino and Rasperry Pi and the creativity that goes with them but it seems I have a blockage towards hands-on technology, I should take a course or something
I used to write short stories about the decadence of society
I used to knit and tried to connect a knitting machine with the computer (and failed, that stupid blockage)

I would like to learn to grow plants
Learning to draw a bit better
I have some books about how to dye wool
I have a pair of unused quads to do rollerblade disco, I swear I will learn to use them at some point
I have never been on a horse and I feel I should

MisunderstoodVacancy said:
I'm very interested in acting as well but I'm completely at a loss as to how or where to go to do anything to express that. It would be cool if there was like a group or something.
I got involved initially by taking a theatre course at the community college. I happened to catch the eye of someone that was involved in a local Improv group and he invited me down for auditions. I have never had an easier time integrating with a group and don't expect it to ever be that easy again, but that's where it started. You could probably look for local theatre groups - I found others that played in local bars and stuff - and do the same thing. Catch a show, stick around and talk to the cast. If they like you (even remotely) they'll drag you along for the ride.
MisunderstoodVacancy said:
I like writing in the abstract sense of it would be cool to write something odd to have a laugh but hate the actual process of writing and the organizational concentration it takes to do so.
I'm trying to overcome this obstacle as we speak :-/

Far, far too much for one lifetime :) let's see if I can narrow it down

Gardening / Mycology / Permaculture
Electronics (I hate coding)
Video games (mostly pc on steam)
Artistic endeavors, mostly sculpting, chibi doodles
Tutoring online
Aspiring crazy cat guy
Physics
Architecture (particularly Earthships)
Kenpo
Ecology
far too many others, like cussing at autocorrect

May I ask what some of your own hobbies are Mickey?

Gaming - Mostly Steam and Online games.
Science - Mostly Chemistry and Biology, I like to discuss about how things work from a Chemical or Biological perspective.
Imagination - I like talking or even analysing Sub cultures, Tropes and alternative realities presented by movies, ganes, or even create my own (perhaps even write a story with someone.)
Philosophy - Mostly Moral or Social philosophy.

These are mostly my interests!

Reading
Literature
Feminism
Social Justice
Survivalism/Bushcraft
Car Restorations
Tae Kwon Do
German
Netflix

I'm interested in
psychoanalysis
applied philosophy
literature
metal music
movies (the insane ones, psychological ones, thrillers)
and tv series (vikings, revenge and such)
You can PM me if you're interested in one or several of these fields.

Lots of writers here :D
If you (um, or anyone) would like to be friends on a Steam account, send me a private message?
I enjoy some co-op or multiplayer games, I know it's not ideal but I've met great people in various places online.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and everyone's lists are too long :(

I have no idea how people find enough hours in a day to pursue 20 different interests.

All the best to all of you, but I've changed my mind. I'm just too different from other people to have anything in common with you.

It doesn't matter if you have things in common or not.
Personally I can adapt to any kind of conversation.
I've only added those interests because YOU asked for them.

Sorry but I don't think that having a 'look' in interests is enough.
You could at least try to hold a conversation with people (at least a few) who took the time to answer to your thread.

mickey said:

I have no idea how people find enough hours in a day to pursue 20 different interests.

All the best to all of you, but I've changed my mind. I'm just too different from other people to have anything in common with you.

I don't pursue all my interests everyday or even any of them at any day.

Just sometimes when I feel like it which probably makes me rather dull inside.

mickey said:

Hey don't feel overwhelmed or discouraged, I'm sure like myself people were listing the things they like most in life. I am not constantly spending hours on end making arduino/lego creations or playing backyard farmer, I just listed a number of things I commonly fill my life with, things I enjoy.

What do you enjoy? It doesn't have to meet other's criteria of interesting or be a tremendous amount of things, so long as you enjoy it.
Don't feel disheartened, there's no competition here :)

I have a really strange problem that I'm having trouble understanding. When I see people listing up to 25 different interests, my mind seizes up and it's like I lose the ability to think. I'm not able to pick out one or two or three of their interests and start a conversation about them because...I'm just not able. Dunno why. It really does feel like I'm a different species from everyone who has posted a list in this thread.

Well im interested in anything interesting:) But I loveee languages, I can speak a few and I always like to learn something new to say in a new language:)

mickey said:
I have a really strange problem that I'm having trouble understanding. When I see people listing up to 25 different interests, my mind seizes up and it's like I lose the ability to think. I'm not able to pick out one or two or three of their interests and start a conversation about them because...I'm just not able. Dunno why. It really does feel like I'm a different species from everyone who has posted a list in this thread.

Mickey, can you stop focusing on those feelings of being unable to relate and take a chance on your own question?
C'mon, no competition, no need to impress people... what is something YOU like? Something you could call a labor of love, something you could do all day long and not even care if you got paid for it or not. What's interesting to you specifically?
No judgement, and it doesn't even matter if it IS very different from others, what do you love?

Latest posts

Back