Is it normal to be very very lonely even if you have people around you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulsister

Reaction score
I feel so alone, my parents are a nightmare, my dad is a control freak, my mum has alot of problems & drinks, i have a boyfriend, but all he talks about is work & his friends.

I used to self harm, i started at the age of 12, but i dont do it anymore, i sometimes feel like i want to because of how i feel.

I have a few medical conditions that get me down, i jusrt feel like i have nobody to talk to.

Don't you have any friends that you can count on. Please don't hurt yourself. If I found out taht any of my friends were doing that I would feel like garbage. have you tried bringing problems up to your boyfriend? He might need to understand what you are going through. If you need someone to talk to I personally am here for you and I'm sure pretty much everyone else here is too.

Aedammair

soulsister said:
Is it normal to be very very lonely even if you have people around you?

I couldn't say that it is 'normal' but it sure does happen. Sometimes being around people just reminds me of how alone i am.

As Aedammair suggest, talk to people here.

its the same for me when i see people it makes me realise how dissconnected from them i am. there are lots of people here who will listen.

Aedammair said:
Don't you have any friends that you can count on. Please don't hurt yourself. If I found out taht any of my friends were doing that I would feel like garbage. have you tried bringing problems up to your boyfriend? He might need to understand what you are going through. If you need someone to talk to I personally am here for you and I'm sure pretty much everyone else here is too.

Aedammair

Hi, Thank you for your message,
I find it hard to talk to my boyfriend about this, as he does not really understand, & i dont have any good friends to talk to.

But thank you for your support & kindness, it really does help to know that there are people who care. x

It's normal or common if you grew up in a disfunctional enviornment.
You can try reserching on Aduilt Children Of Alcoholics or Co-dependency.
There's probably other traits, thinking patterns you might be able to
relate to or identify with.

Recognitions or admittion is the first step. Perhasp a part of you
already knew somethings wasn't right or healthy as a child....

Growning up being programmed in such as condition you've developed
habits to survived...such as isolating, disconnecting or numbing your
emotions.There's 13 basic triats of an ACOA...there's more.
Traits such as self sabatge. A sense of never being good enough.
Over achiving/ under achving. People pleasing (earning love)...
Feeling of being alone and fending for yourself as a child in order to survive. Perfectionist..becuase you werent allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.
Making mistakes is a part of learning and growing...in a dysfuctional enviorment it's tabooo.
You either got servear punishments or ridiculed for every mistakes you made.
Getting blamed for everything...(Alcoholics blame
and manipulate people around them..mostly their love ones...)

Bascailly if your parents didn't know how to deal with thier own emotions
or problems..how in the world would they be able to help you with your emotions or problems.
All they can say is....GET YOUR honeysuckle TOGETHER or sit down and STFU, without really
giving you intructions, living tools or copping skills...

Maybe you weren't allowed to expressed yourself or you had to walk
on eggshells. Your parents were too cuaght up in their own disillusions
to nuture you mentally, emotionally or give you living tools, copping skills.
Worst they might had past on a lot of disfucntional behaviors, guilt, shame...etc..

You walk on eggshelll becuase you're not sure what ya going to get from day to day..
One of your parents have DR. JYCKELL and MR. HYDE behaviors becuase of ALCOHOLISM.
The other one is a control freak (CO-DEPENDENT) becuase the alki is at the wheel of
a run away train and wrecking everything...The co-dependent is actaullly sicker than
the alki..becuase they are a mental and emotional wreck. The ALKI holds everyone
mentally and emotionally hostage...if the alki feels like honeysuckle...everyone in the household
must suffers too......

You know what I'm talking about...

Adandentment...you might feel mentally or emotionally abandent by your
parents even if they didn't physically leave you.

Guilt...perhaps you blamed yourself for your parent's troubles.

Sometimes the pain is so great...you mentanlly and emotionally shut down
or numb out inorder to survive as a child...
It became a habit and you continued those habits into your adulthood...
Some ACOA end up abusing drugs and alcohol themselves (numbing out or escaping the pains)

It's kind of like you were living in a hypnotic state...

You can tried attending support groups to get help and support from
people that had grew up in simular circumstances and had found a new
way to live or HEAL. People that will listen to you, undersrtand you and
not judge you. You don't have to do this alone.

Breaking the cycle is not easy. It's like going against the grain
of everything you had belived in or thought. It will feel like a part
of you is dying..the sick part. It depends how deeply ingrain it is
within you. It's okay to cry, It's okay to feel angery, it's okay to feel
hurt. it's okay to feel whatever it is that you feel....
The more you process your emotions...the more you will heal..
The more you will be able to LET GO of them.The more you will
mentally and emotionally mature..
Sometimes it can be very overwhelming...becuase some of us had
stuff our emotions all our lives...

A part of you already knows this or is aware of this or wants to get well..
or awaken. You saw the elephant in the living all your life and was never allow
to say anything....

Re-programing or reparenting myself hasn't been easy.
All kinds of stuff i had to work through....such as my neggative inner vioce.
It's very subtle.

Please give yourself a break. You cant change your parents...however
you can try to change yourself....
Love yourself first and formost and be gental to yourself.

Sure iam lonely when people around me...You see,not everyone has same character.Some people will be different only.Some people choose and talk.Some people are not sociable including me.

I certainly believe that it is understandable (as opposed to normal) to feel lonely despite having people around you.

I feel lonely and I am surrounded by family and am very rarely on my own. In fact I would say since starting a family I feel more lonely than I did when it was just myself and the wife. I dont know why because my 2 little boys are always full of energy and laughter and keep me on the go constantly. I kind of hoped having kids would stop me feeling lonely and act as a substitute for friends but not at all.

I definitely feel the same..I get extremely lonely around lots of people...i mean Im usually just fine alone..but around others..it just reminds me how awkward i get.

when i feel the loneliness is nasty...maybe the best way to get rid of it is to accept it as part of me as myself, then i wont push myself so hard to fight against it...
Its not about the normal or the abnormal.i think there's only semi-normal...now i am sitting at my desk in office, supposed to be busy while **** it i dont really have much to do, and thats usually when i start to watch others buzzing around and wonder whether they have their own tough problems or not..(maybe not...:S)

I think sometimes when you have people around you it can make you feel even more lonely, knowing that they're there but you can't seem to talk to them.

Latest posts

Back