Is race a big deal [to you]?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more thing.. As I said, I have little to no experience with non-white people, so I well may be wrong. It just seems to me that another race often implies a different culture/temper/mentality, with which I may not connect well. That, not really a color of skin, is why I'd prefer dating someone of the same race.

apparently not for me since when I read the thread title I was like "whaa? like a foot race? What is this girl smoking??"

lol then I got it lmao. For me I don't think its ever been an issue, as far as who I love anyway, I like all types. I'm caucasian and have found myself attracted to probably every other race out there at least once...in fact, I think someone quoted me as saying "White guys are boring" once. I was kidding, I do that a lot :p I won't be naive and deny that in more serious relationships big cultural differences can be an issue between the individuals themselves and/or thier families. So, yes, no, depends on the person, that person's community, and how comfortable they may or may not be with going against thier communities norms, if that be the case.

Like anything else, no simple answers, except that if you really love someone I think anything is manageable. And in my experience, the family usually learns to adjust :p

DayvanCowboy said:
Also, yeah, someone mentioned this before but I think you are really talking about "ethnicity" than race because there are only two....on this planet atleast.

Three, actually: Caucasian, Mongoloid, Negro.

I would never date a guy outside my race (Caucasian). I just woudln't.

Race is a non-issue. We are all but one people. The girl next door (no pun intended) with the same skin as myself could probably be more of a nut-case because of her upbringing than the one with - as someone has already put it - polka dots. It's the environment that people grow up in that causes them to be who they are, and this is true of all races.

I think it is more of a non-issue up here in Canada than anywhere else. We can joke about our differences without offending anyone. For example, a black head of state would probably not hit the headlines as easily.

and tramp,
i bet theres alot less gang violence because the counter culture is way different most anywhere else besides the states. theres a different dog eat dog mentality here.
*sigh*
*wondering if rents cheaper in canada(?)*

loketron said:
and tramp,
i bet theres alot less gang violence because the counter culture is way different most anywhere else besides the states. theres a different dog eat dog mentality here.
*sigh*
*wondering if rents cheaper in canada(?)*

You say "hella"...are you from north Cali? lol

Crap, sorry for the late reply!

Thanks everyone, always nice to hear what you all have to say. :)

I've thought it through and in a way, I'm glad he came out with it when he did, he was definitely turning out to be crush number 987943857 :D So he probably did me a favour telling me now and not months down the line.

Naleena said:
Panda said:
So it made me wonder, is race a big deal or even a issue with you all? I've never really thought about it, myself. If I like someone, I like someone. But I am quite simple... :p

Hello Miss Panda,
I have taken a vacation from talking to people about their problems because I need to recharge my batteries. Trying to keep it light and get through some crap of my own. However, I will make an exception in your case, girlie.

I think the boy was trying to pay you a compliment. You never know what kind of cultural or religious background someone comes from.

It's not easy for some people to make the decision that they will date outside of their race. They have thier families too, to think about. Some of them wouldn't be happy at all.

It can get very complicated when you bring in those cultural factors. I dated a greek boy who I could never marry because I am not greek.
I have had people not like me because I am not completely one race. I am part caucasian and part hispanic. Dad was Cuban and mom a southern girl. You wouldn't believe the hispanics that do not like mixed blood....lol You would think as much racism that is hurled their way they would have a little more heart. I've gotten it from both sides.

As far as my feelings? I think if two people can love each other and are strong enough as a couple to overcome any biases they may encounter, why not? Sometimes the question is, is this relationship worth going through x, y, z? Trust me, those families and friends can be hell on someone who strays out of the circle. Strangers too, but to a lesser degree.

What would I do? I don't care if the person I love is purple with yellow polka dots. If anyone didn't like it, I'd say "f*ck 'em." But that's just me. :)

How funny now that you mention it I"m pretty strange. Please take this with a grain of salt but I don't date within races if I had the chance. And as far as my family go, I laugh, I cry, and most of all I don't care. sigh

Panda said:
Thanks Silvernight & Naleena! <3

Admittedly it's never been something I've ever thought much of, (then again, finding a guy of any race is hard enough and my boyfriend history is non-existent :D). I don't understand why he'd say that but also let me know he likes me (or would've...if I wasn't Caucasian) in the same sentence, though. Apparently with him it's more a preference thing, maybe if his family had issues with it instead of him, it might not be so bad.

I don't have an issue with him having a preference, but the whole "Oh, but y'know...if you weren't *whatever race*...I'd definitely like you" speech was a bit much considering he doesn't even know I had any interest in him whatsoever

I think i'm better off sticking to being single. Less confusing :D

I don't know why anyone would not want to have you as their gf? That boggle the mind:rolleyes:

I am of asian appearance, but am strongly attracted to white/european/western females. Maybe that's why I'm still single! :D

However, the number of interracial couples I see is quite minimal; and from what I gather, most people over here in Australia don't seem to want to date outside their race. :(

Latest posts

Back