Lets Be Proactive and Excercise Together for Better Health & Self Improvement

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^walking in the rain is nice

I want to lose 20-30lbs
but I don't have time for gym I have two 5lbs dumbbells
any thoughts?

Hi friendlygirl, the gym doesn't have to be time consuming, although I would recommend if you want to lose weight that you could give deep water running a try, a quick 20 mins session every second day would make an impact.

Powerwalking? Powerwalking with your 5lbders?

Do you eat a healthy diet already?

Did legs yesterday - the less said about that the better. Today was a light upper body workout and 10 mins on the treadmill. Tired, but happy again.

Alma lost her spoon said:
Hi friendlygirl, the gym doesn't have to be time consuming, although I would recommend if you want to lose weight that you could give deep water running a try, a quick 20 mins session every second day would make an impact.

Powerwalking? Powerwalking with your 5lbders?

Do you eat a healthy diet already?

I do eat home cooked meals and mixed of everything, and yes I eat veggies and fruits.
geez, sarcasm much dude, I should eat less, it's not like I'm obese, I just want to look more lean.

Cavey said:
Did legs yesterday - the less said about that the better. Today was a light upper body workout and 10 mins on the treadmill. Tired, but happy again.

I LOVE leg training!
mmmmmmsquats!

Deadlift/squatjump supersets FTW!

Cavey said:

I LOVE leg training!
mmmmmmsquats!

I have a pre-existing problem with my knee joints that prevents me from doing squats properly. I have to find some other way to work my legs - and none of them are particularly interesting. I can do deadlifts, but even those are a struggle and I don't want to ruin my joints any more than they already are. It's pointless me being in shape if I'm crippled with pain ;)

I find working my legs to be a bit of a chore because of this, but I also don't want to have a big old upper body supported by two chicken legs. lol.

Cavey said:
Cavey said:

I LOVE leg training!
mmmmmmsquats!

I have a pre-existing problem with my knee joints that prevents me from doing squats properly. I have to find some other way to work my legs - and none of them are particularly interesting. I can do deadlifts, but even those are a struggle and I don't want to ruin my joints any more than they already are. It's pointless me being in shape if I'm crippled with pain ;)

I find working my legs to be a bit of a chore because of this, but I also don't want to have a big old upper body supported by two chicken legs. lol.

Try resistance bands! No heavy weights and you can get different strengths and there are loads of leg exercises you can do with them that isn't strenuous on the joints!

Without being a vegan or vegetarian, what do you consider healthy eating?
Is it simply not too much of anything, a good mix of the main groups (especially vegetables and fruits), and good preparation of the meats you do eat? Because that's how I've been doing it for all my life.

And I burn. Intense running and skating weekly (pre ex snack is peanut butter/wheat/banana), gym 3-4 times a week, some in-home stuff (butt stuff with ankle weights, pushups, curls... used to do dumbbell fly... thinking I could stand to do more in home with abs using ankle weights). I stopped drinking green tea for a while (the kind I get is expensive), but been drinking too much other teas with sugar. Wanting to cut back on sugar, I went and bought my old favorite green tea again and feel like I'm ready for war once again.

Cavey-that sucks about your knees, but at least you're doing what you can.

Hi jjam,

What I consider healthy eating(& I'm not veggie nor vegan-though I don't eat red meat nor pork as I don't enjoy it) is staying away from processed foods in the main, I avoid refined sugar where I can & I mostly stay clear of wheat-though I do eat wholemeal pasta & cous cous from time to time.

My diet mainly consists of fresh fruit & veg, lean protiens, essential fats from cheese, milk, eggs, oily fish & avocados(mmmm avocados) plus fibre from brown rice, oats, also nuts & seeds.

I regularly eat kimchi for it's bacterial benefits.

I allow myself the odd item of food that isn't on my healthy list, but to be honest I enjoy healthy food more than any other-my parents took me to the doctor when I was 4 because they thought I had food issues-I insisted on having my veg raw, I refused to eat stodge, preferred fresh fruit to sweets/crisps etc The doc told them he wished all kids had my 'issues' lol

I'm looking forward to a spot of DWR tonight!

Tonight was CHALLENGE NIGHT YAY!!:D

15mins on the rowing machine to warm up then...

Supersets of 8 reps each of the following

Straight leg deadlift, bent over rows, shrugshrugcleans, front squats & shoulder press

I lost count on what I *thought* was the last set(aiming for 4 sets) & wasn't certain whether I'd finished 3 sets or 4(it was quite intense haha) so I did another set to make sure-that'll teach me to lose count haha I may have done 5 sets in the end but I know I didn't stop at 3!;)

There's a possibility I wont be able to get to derby training tomorrow evening-if so I'll have to settle for some DWR instead-we'll see.

Early morning sword practice at the beach, being out in the open air to practice is fabulous-though not always possible in this part of the world.

As the first rays broke whilst I was working on drills & then the opening part of the set I was reminded of the importance of harmonising the 5 Chinese elements of Water, Wood, Fire, Earth & Metal & how working out there this morning I was indeed working to be balancing & uniting the elements.

Happy days!:)

I just got back from a 4 mile brisk walk in the morning rain. It was very relaxing until I got to the railway bridge and decided the steps needed sprinted up and down a few times. There was a young woman looking at me like I was an escaped mental patient... luckily, I don't embarrass easily these days :)

I have an ear infection and it's affecting my balance, so no strenuous activity for a while... unless I get bored, which is likely, and then I may 'forget' this advice and decide to rearrange my home by picking up my weights and moving them around until I decide where they should be placed. *cough*

Littlesecret said:
Cavey said:
Cavey said:

I LOVE leg training!
mmmmmmsquats!

Try resistance bands! No heavy weights and you can get different strengths and there are loads of leg exercises you can do with them that isn't strenuous on the joints!

Because of the nature of my 'problem', I even find things like this difficult at times. I've watched others using them and it never really seems to be doing much of anything - it also doesn't involve huge weights! Where's the fun! :p

I'm in a stoopid mood this morning - it'll pass as soon as i eat something. You hope...

As predicted I couldn't make it to derby training this evening so I went to the pool for some DWR fun instead-afterwards I treated myself to some time relaxing in the steamroom.

Bed now & up early for morning workout tomorrow yuss!

in the last week or so I stopped exercising, yesterday I took the resolution: if I have the strength to cry, I have the strength to exercise - did 4 floors of stairs up and down for 24 times yesterday, today 50 min of yoga - still crying though

This morning's workout was brought to you by the letter 'F':)

Five sets of Fives of squats & deadlifts, plus Flys..

Oh & F is also for Fuckwit! As in this Fuckwit left her chalk at home & has ruined her lovely girly hands lol

^^Peaches-sometimes it just needs to come out-the crying I mean-hope you feel brighter soon.

Today was HEAVY DAY YAY & my workout this morning was brought to you by the number 3(3reps/sets) hahaha

Front squats, stiff leg deadlifts & shoulder press:D

A couple of girly girls were tittering at the fact that I obviously hadn't bothered to do anything much with my barnet this morning, I ran my fingers through it before leaving the house, what? lol-I'm going to the gym I really don't give a monkeys chuff too much what it looks like-gonna have to wash & do it afterwards anyways. I wonder how much time they wasted doing their hair & makeup before they came to the gym this morning-not to mention that they didn't appear to do much in the way of actual 'exercise' whilst they were there anyways, but if laughing at my slightly unkempt look makes them happy then I'm good with that:cool:

A couple of girly girls were tittering at the fact that I obviously hadn't bothered to do anything much with my barnet this morning, I ran my fingers through it before leaving the house, what? lol-I'm going to the gym I really don't give a monkeys chuff too much what it looks like-gonna have to wash & do it afterwards anyways. I wonder how much time they wasted doing their hair & makeup before they came to the gym this morning-not to mention that they didn't appear to do much in the way of actual 'exercise' whilst they were there anyways, but if laughing at my slightly unkempt look makes them happy then I'm good with that:cool:

Alma, you rock with that sort of attitude. And so right, too.

Aw bless ya LadyF <3 thanks!

I just don't see the point in sprucing myself up for the gym, when I came home I had a shower, put on nice smellies, did my hair & even put a skirt & makeup on as it's my day off & it's good to have a change from having to wear trainers etc/workwear.

Ok, I am joining you healthy people!

Mine is definitely also a 'self-improvement plan' as someone else mentioned. I smoke around 20 a day, drink every weekend, need to lose loads of weight but also, want to do other achievements that will help my confidence too. I've already started a course to help me on my way to my future career (I'm currently in the midst of a career change) so I am on track with that but one of my goals - apart from the ongoing health ones - is to get a driving license. I am 36 and STILL don't have one!!!!

But, aside from that, first things first. QUIT SMOKING! I am actually at the stage of almost hating it now so hopefully it wont be too much of a challenge....although, I've been a smoker for 21 years, sooo....

I'm not sure I can face going to the gym like others on here though. Far too self conscious thanks to my pasty skin that has a tendency to go bright red at the slightest exertion!

I have a great goal though. In 9 months time, I will be attending the renewal of vows of a friend whom I was the bridesmaid for at her wedding 10 years ago. Now, I am no Kate Moss, my mate got married in Cyprus so I wasn't used to the heat and my dress was red. In the photos I look like a bright red, sweaty, uncomfortable plum!

So here goes guys! Operation Anti-Plum starts...Monday!

A couple of girly girls were tittering at the fact that I obviously hadn't bothered to do anything much with my barnet this morning,

That's another thing that puts me off the gym, people like that!!! Good on you for not caring.

Latest posts

Back