Let's Talk about Your Experiences/Opinions/Thoughts about taking Martial Arts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, I don't know where all of you live, but where I'm from, standing outside your house could get you kidnapped/raped/killed. So yeah! Sophiagrace, I would totally sign up for martial arts classes hahaha!

A women's self-defense class might be better for that sort of thing.

Outright martial arts takes years to master -- years of daily discipline, weight training, etc. Unless you're up for that sort of commitment... then don't even bother.

Learning how to kick a guy in the balls is a lot faster.

1. Never study it to become a "Tough Guy/Gal" for show.
2. Your self respect increases, your respect for others increases, which in turn will get you respect.
3. You can feel safer walking down the street at night.
4. The satisfaction you feel when results show feels great and is a strong motivator. Very strong.

I find that Tae Kwon Do for me is a vehicle. I am a stronger person physically and mentally. I'm not qualified to teach as a professional, but I can still show people things if they're being picked on and stuff.

If I'm feeling stressed or angry, I just go into the other room and kick my heavy bag with all I have. It really helps. The discipline that martial arts provides can be beneficial in many aspects of a person's life.

Don't ever walk into a training center cocky or overconfident, because you will be humbled like you wouldn't believe. Although my
training sessions are private 1-on-1, I've seen countless people join a club to prove how tough they are. They never last there.

With your condition Sophia, it doesn't mean that you can't learn anything. There are many evasive techniques that you can learn. As I suggested, watch as many boxing matches as you can. Although boxing might not be your thing, watch fights and studying their stance, footwork, and punch techniques. More importantly, you will see their dodging and blocking techniques which you can practice at home with your own heavy bag and various other boxing equipment. It can only help.

Many people hate Mike Tyson, but that doesn't mean that he isn't an accomplished fighter. He knocked people out for a living! I don't care about the ear biting or his criminal background. The man was a brutal, successful, and a wonderful boxer. That deserves respect. Believe it or not, he is also a great teacher. Just find some videos of the man demonstrating shoulder snaps in his punches along with many dodges and blocks.

As long as you study martial arts for honest and pure reasons, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish, despite your particular
conditions. Sign up. Give it everything you have, and you will succeed I promise you.

Bob Arctor said:
Reacting with fight instead of flight when faced with no other alternative is crucial, I agree. I just think (in most first world situations) developing that instinct doesn't have a lot to do with whether or not you would kill someone. I mean just talking about hand to hand combat, if you can get the upper hand and subdue a person or knock them unconscious you'd have to go pretty far to kill them with your hands. What you're talking about seems to apply more to a gun fight, or if you were faced with multiple assailants and you had to kill to live. If you're talking about a fair fight you don't have to be willing to kill the person to defend yourself.

Most times, if someone is actively trying to hurt or predate on you, they will be armed - even if minimally. This gives them a huge advantage, on top of surprise and any other readiness. There are few to no 'fair fights' when realistically attacked and a large part /is/ mental; most criminals essentially seek to emotionally dominate even before any physical dominance, and generally succeed if the training isn't there to counteract.

I think it's very cool to learn martial arts. I would join but.... can't.

IO: would you tell me about your experiences with shotokan?

Badjedidude said:
A women's self-defense class might be better for that sort of thing.

Outright martial arts takes years to master -- years of daily discipline, weight training, etc. Unless you're up for that sort of commitment... then don't even bother.

Learning how to kick a guy in the balls is a lot faster.

Yes there is a workshop coming up. Actually it's today at 12pm.

But my thoughts regarding it are that I will forget the techniques eventually because I'm not practicing them over and over again.

If I take a martial arts course my reflexes will be much quicker. My response will be more ingrained.

JasonM said:
SophiaGrace said:
I want to be able to stand up to people when I know they are wrong.

NO! Steven Spielberg released Jaws in 1975, NOT 1974 YOU IDIOT. KARATE CHOP! :club:

But seriously, I got nothing. ;)

LOL

The first thing I thought when I read your post SophiaGrace was "What?" But I think I get it, you want to feel inside, that no matter how physically fit they are, or intimidating, you can stand up to them if need be. Not that you would attack someone or something, it is all for you, for you to feel more confident. I feel bad that people intimidate you so much, and hope you do find a way to not feel that way. (((SophiaGrace)))

SophiaGrace said:
Yes there is a workshop coming up. Actually it's today at 12pm.

But my thoughts regarding it are that I will forget the techniques eventually because I'm not practicing them over and over again.

If I take a martial arts course my reflexes will be much quicker. My response will be more ingrained.

Yes, but are you willing to spend YEARS to develop that sort of muscle memory? Not to mention the sheer cost of attending karate classes once a week (or more) for those years.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to discourage you. If you feel that this is what you need to do, then by all means do it.

I just want to be sure you're aware of how big a committment it is to start learning and practicing something like martial arts.

I have no experience but I have considered classes for my son and I. I am not so sure about him as he seems to know how to stand up for himself and I'm grateful for that. I wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea also because there's a time and a place for such lessons. It'd be good to learn in times where you may need to defend yourself. Better and less harmful than weapons.

Latest posts

Back