Me, myself and... Nope, just me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never gone to the cinema alone, again eating out or have a coffee on
my own sounds way too depressing for me, except when I am on my way to
somewhere (e.g. used to travel a lot visiting family and friends or if I have
some errands to run etc). When I have the opportunity to go with someone I
like I am all in and enjoy the time immensely, but I am not heading out
somewhere just to do something alone even shopping feels better with
company.

It's hard to see the point in being around people when there's no interaction. You may as well be doing something else instead of sitting there staring at a wall, nursing a drink. Visiting relatives, going for a run,reading, anything to occupy the mind. Going out alone when there's no purpose is always depressing. It gets to the point where I feel better if a shop assistant smiles at me, even though it's obviously part of what they're paid for...

Being out in a crowd does help curb that isolating feeling I get sometimes. Its being able to pretend I'm like everyone else, just dashing about, doing my business, just like they are. I might have a loving wive and adoring children waiting for me at home....no one knows different. There's the element of human contact that I miss and as much of an introvert and loner that I am/have become I need to mix with people occasionally.

Grackle said:
Being out in a crowd does help curb that isolating feeling I get sometimes. Its being able to pretend I'm like everyone else, just dashing about, doing my business, just like they are. I might have a loving wive and adoring children waiting for me at home....no one knows different. There's the element of human contact that I miss and as much of an introvert and loner that I am/have become I need to mix with people occasionally.

You know, there is some truth to this when you say no one knows different. That can actually help those who feel anxious when out on their own, if you manage to embrace that perception. The fact is, people know nothing of you at all, in reality 99% of people don't really care who you are, what you are doing or why... You are just another person amidst the hoards of individuals doing their own thing.

I would never do any of that stuff alone apart from the cinema and concerts, not that those two are particularly social experiences anyway seeing as you're just watching. I'll be going to a music festival alone this year because I loathe the thought of my loneliness and anxiety winning over and missing out on something I really always wanted to experience. There are some benefits to not being tethered down with other people, as I can go where I want and see who I want and I'm sure that goes for a lot of different events.

ShybutHi said:
Grackle said:

You know, there is some truth to this when you say no one knows different. That can actually help those who feel anxious when out on their own, if you manage to embrace that perception. The fact is, people know nothing of you at all, in reality 99% of people don't really care who you are, what you are doing or why... You are just another person amidst the hoards of individuals doing their own thing.

That's true, no one cares or are consciously aware of the fact that I am none of the things I wish I was. I guess only I care.

Latest posts

Back