Missing out by not using chat?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annik

Reaction score
It kind of feels like theres some great party going on in a room and I'm just sat on the stairs on the hall...:(

I won't ever use it, I don't get on with chats at all, well the ones that even work on my computer that is. It just feel like its an easier better way of getting to know people and I just feel a bit left out.

I don't know maybe I'm just not in a great mood...

The way i've felt I've fit in on here was to join in chatting with others in the chatroom. the forum is like yeah waiting outside in the hallway, it's an extension of ALL, but, the chatroom is where most of the members that've been around the longest congregate.

I guess you might miss out on a few inside jokes, but it's not the end of the world. To be honest, it's not a whole lot of people using the chat anyway - it's a fairly small group, and yeah, among those some inside jokes form over time that may cause you to feel left out, but that happens in every type of social circle. It doesn't mean that you're actually left out on something phenomenal - consider it to be the same as Facebook pictures: they may cause someone to appear as if they're having an AWESOME life, while in truth, sure, it's nice.. but it isn't the very pinnacle of life's joy :p

Yeah I got the feeling a lot of older more regular members hung out there. I did try a chat on another site but no matter now quiet they are I just can't get on with them. I've noticed the odd in joke and stuff. I try not to feel left out because its up to me not to go in there but sometimes you start to feel it.

I dont feel welcome in the chat room...and i have no clue how to use it..X.x

Arcane said:

I guess I posted this to find out if its just me. I don't really "get" them. I've never tried it here so I'm not sure if I'd feel welcome.

Generally though because I don't use it I feel a bit in the background of things sometimes.

annik said:
Yeah I got the feeling a lot of older more regular members hung out there. I did try a chat on another site but no matter now quiet they are I just can't get on with them. I've noticed the odd in joke and stuff. I try not to feel left out because its up to me not to go in there but sometimes you start to feel it.

Anni you are a member of ALL. Period.

We value you here.

SophiaGrace said:
annik said:

Anni you are a member of ALL. Period.

We value you here.

Thank you :)

I can think of a few people

Evanescencefan, Minus, Sci-Fi.

They are never in chat but they are still an integral part of ALL.

Well thats true, I can't really think of this place without them at least.

Hmm I just notice a few members who I never seem to interact with for whatever reason. I seem to pass under the radar. Its more of a thing I realised rather than a complaint when I say that too.

That happens with me too anni. Some people I am interested in getting to know better, others not.

Annik, there have been times when I have felt that I did not fit in either; however, it is mostly due to the way I internally process information or arriving at a time when people are in personal chat with one another.

IMHO, our own thought processes can be our own worse enemies at times and sometimes we need to make ourselves vulnerable.

Since I do not like being vulnerable most of the time, I miss out on a lot in life if I am truly honest with myself.

SophiaGrace said:
That happens with me too anni. Some people I am interested in getting to know better, others not.

That's definitely true. I know I'm not very forward with my feelings, views or opinions most of the time. That's why I started to think not being in chat meant I was missing out because I wasn't getting to know people much or vice versa. I also find writing long replies hard.

Bones said:
Annik, there have been times when I have felt that I did not fit in either; however, it is mostly due to the way I internally process information or arriving at a time when people are in personal chat with one another.

IMHO, our own thought processes can be our own worse enemies at times and sometimes we need to make ourselves vulnerable.

Since I do not like being vulnerable most of the time, I miss out on a lot in life if I am truly honest with myself.

I'm completely guilty of putting my comfort before putting myself out there. I hate feeling vulnerable. I hate conflict too which I think stops me being more vocal as well.

Sure, there's a lot of regulars in chat, but also a lot of people who happen to stumble in on their first day. Come and check it out. You don't have to say anything, you can just lurk, many people do. Take all the time you need to get comfortable. It can really be a nice place, just give it a try.

Using the chat is definitely a unique experience from the forum, but like minty said it does take time to get comfortable with it. I lurk a lot ever since I first started using it. :p There are different people at different times, maybe you can check out when the best time is for you?

Try not to feel like you are missing out by not using the chat, but at the same time you are very welcome to join in if you feel comfortable to (I'm usually on around this time until late night in chat 1). Regardless, you are still a valuable part of this community, and I sure do like reading your posts myself. :) Hope things go well for you the next time you try, if you do.

annik said:
Arcane said:

I guess I posted this to find out if its just me. I don't really "get" them. I've never tried it here so I'm not sure if I'd feel welcome.

Generally though because I don't use it I feel a bit in the background of things sometimes.

As everyone else has said you're more than welcome in chat. :p

Sometimes I don't say much but just sit there and chat privately with people. It's easer to get to know someone that way. :p Quicker than messaging too. No one is forcing you to talk.

I will explain chat.

CHAT 1: For everyone. Peaceful. Calm. Happy. Fun.

CHAT 2: For the daring. The brave. Those who like cussing, sex, and cookies. Not for the faint of heart.

Everyone is welcome in either chat. But don't come to chat 2 and then complain if someone says the word, "fresia." Because you've now been warned. lol

mintymint said:
You fool!! You're scaring the ladies away from chat 2!! D:

That's ok... they're more than welcome to come to chat 1 :D

I barely used chat for the first three years of my four years here. I go to chat 2 now, btw.

Latest posts

Back