Missing out by not using chat?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! Its never been that I don't feel welcome in chat, I've never been on it here. I'm just a little phased by it I guess. I do feel on and off I should try it though. I may lurk just to see, please feel free to blank me!

I've been on other chats and I honestly couldn't see any sort of coherent conversation it seemed to be a room full of people talking to themselves...hmm. I think I'm better with the kind of one on one IM kind of thing.

Oh and don't think I'm necessarily scared away from chat 2! ;)

Chat2 can be a hell hole now and then, especially if the ravenous, cruel, cold-hearted beings known as "the girls from chat 2" choose you as their.. .. target.. (d)
But hey, otherwise it's pretty much a lot of fun =D

I used to chat with people frequently in the past. It's true that you can easily get to know someone this way too well, too fast.

I imagine it would be difficult not to feel welcome in a chat if you feel uneasy about them in general, and the chat GUI here is rather confusing. I thought I was the only one who didn't get it. =/

I agree that writing long replies can be an excruciating process. If this doesn't work for you then chat is worth a try. You don't have to say much in those. Perhaps after a while of becoming acquainted with the chat, the whole idea of not feeling welcome there will go away. Good luck to you.
:shy:

Everyone should come into chat at least once. Just to see what it's like... but KEEP IN MIND. Every chat will sometimes be fun and sometimes be boring. Every chat room changes from day to day, depending on members in it, on mood, on time of day... lots of things.

So just try to find what time of day and what other members best suit you, and then go into chat when they are there or when the conditions are right. :)

You can choose any name you want in chat,so people in it don't know who you are on the forums,if that's what you want.Some times it's a hoot in there,sometimes it's not.It's a bit like going down the local pub.
Please come in and chat,me and BJD will look after you!

Vagrant Legacy said:
Chat2 can be a hell hole now and then, especially if the ravenous, cruel, cold-hearted beings known as "the girls from chat 2" choose you as their.. .. target.. (d)

I will remember this. (d)

Are you kidding Liley? He was pretty much talking about just you there. He was just being polite by keeping it general and not singling you out. :D

Anyway I feel too self conscious about PMing people if I want to get to know them, so I find chat is a better environment to do that in. That's my take on it at least.

Limlim said:
Are you kidding Liley? He was pretty much talking about just you there. He was just being polite by keeping it general and not singling you out. :D

I will remember this, too. (d)

I agree with you Limo when you say it's a good place to know someone better. I like that it's direct. you either like or dont like that much someone. Chat helped me make more friends than the forums. It also helped me understand them better and Really get attached to them.

Liley said:
Limlim said:

I will remember this, too. (d)

you have a lot of remembering to do (hehe)

and yes I agree with a lot of people who posted. depends on the time of the day, mood, etc, etc, sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's so boring. So you just have to give it a chance, and try it yourself. And I think a lot of people are interested in getting to know you Annik, in forum and in xat. At least, I am one of them for sure :)

aww floff well said. :)

And yes, I'd like you to come to xat too, Annik. Maybe we can talk about books <3 :)

Vagrant Legacy said:
But hey, otherwise it's pretty much a lot of fun =D

Ok now I'm freaked out by chat 2! :p

DreamerDeceiver said:
I used to chat with people frequently in the past. It's true that you can easily get to know someone this way too well, too fast.

I imagine it would be difficult not to feel welcome in a chat if you feel uneasy about them in general, and the chat GUI here is rather confusing. I thought I was the only one who didn't get it. =/

I agree that writing long replies can be an excruciating process. If this doesn't work for you then chat is worth a try. You don't have to say much in those. Perhaps after a while of becoming acquainted with the chat, the whole idea of not feeling welcome there will go away. Good luck to you.
:shy:

Eek the thought of it being confusing doesn't really inspire confidence. I'm really not good with the way they work at all at the best of times.

I have issues with long replies just because I have a bit of trouble trying to get my thoughts into order and expressing myself. I think I'm just out of practice. In the past I've written long letters and emails. I also really don't have the energy (intelligence?) to go through about answer every single point someone makes like some people do. I don't know maybe I just don't have a thing about proving people wrong. I think what I think and I can let people think things around me. I think it comes from a lifetime of being ignored, answered for and talked over

Badjedidude said:
Everyone should come into chat at least once. Just to see what it's like... but KEEP IN MIND. Every chat will sometimes be fun and sometimes be boring. Every chat room changes from day to day, depending on members in it, on mood, on time of day... lots of things.

So just try to find what time of day and what other members best suit you, and then go into chat when they are there or when the conditions are right. :)

Good advice and honestly its not like I'm going to go in there once and complain it was dull! The reason I tried the chat on the other site was because there seemed to only be one man and his dog in there most of the time!

Hmm well I think I'd be on early hours here because thats when I tend to be online!

Jilted John said:
You can choose any name you want in chat,so people in it don't know who you are on the forums,if that's what you want.

Sneaky I like it! Seriously though I could do that just to peek in and see what its like.

Jilted John said:
Please come in and chat,me and BJD will look after you!

:D

Limlim said:
Anyway I feel too self conscious about PMing people if I want to get to know them, so I find chat is a better environment to do that in. That's my take on it at least.

Thinking about it I don't think I've ever sent anyone a PM first. I reply to them but I don't initiate them. There's probably people I'd like to message but I don't because yeah I feel self conscious too.

floffyschneeman said:
and yes I agree with a lot of people who posted. depends on the time of the day, mood, etc, etc, sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's so boring. So you just have to give it a chance, and try it yourself.

Yeah I'm starting to think it would take a few go's in there to really get the feel for it. I'm sure if I tried it I would give it a proper chance and not just write it off straight away.

floffyschneeman said:
And I think a lot of people are interested in getting to know you Annik, in forum and in xat. At least, I am one of them for sure :)

Liley said:
aww floff well said. :)

And yes, I'd like you to come to xat too, Annik. Maybe we can talk about books <3 :)

Aww thank you both, thats really nice :) Though it does make me slightly nervous due to my shyness and the fact I think I'm quite dull! :shy:

Book talk would be cool though. :D

Wow this probably one of my longest ever replies...

I've never been in chat. :)
Someday when I'm feeling bold, I'll try it. I'm terrible at chatting in real life and have no idea how I'd be at it online. I've never felt on the "outs" on the forum, though :)

Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Someday when I'm feeling bold, I'll try it. I'm terrible at chatting in real life and have no idea how I'd be at it online. I've never felt on the "outs" on the forum, though :)

Teresa

Glad to hear from someone else who hasn't tried it. I think I'm worse at chatting online than in life. As soon as enter a chat room (the few times I've ventured in to any) my mind goes completely blank. I wonder if its my shyness. I don't think I've ever stayed longer than 5 minutes in one. :rolleyes:

I came to this forum specifically looking for live chat, simply because a chat room makes me feel less alone than a forum most of the time. I've had some really good laughs and met some awesome ppl in chat. There's also been plenty of off days and times when I felt left out...especially when I first got here, but that's unavoidable in any social situation. For the most part I enjoy the chat room and have found most of the ppl there to be nice, welcoming and fun to talk to. I agree with what some others have posted about the atmosphere of the room changing from day to day, but you don't have to be some kind of amazing conversationalist to join in. As long as you're respectful I think you will be welcome there.

annik said:
SofiasMami said:

Teresa

Glad to hear from someone else who hasn't tried it. I think I'm worse at chatting online than in life. As soon as enter a chat room (the few times I've ventured in to any) my mind goes completely blank. I wonder if its my shyness. I don't think I've ever stayed longer than 5 minutes in one. :rolleyes:

Just go in there and blag,I do,they are only people,the same as you and me.

RyanEhf said:
I came to this forum specifically looking for live chat, simply because a chat room makes me feel less alone than a forum most of the time. I've had some really good laughs and met some awesome ppl in chat. There's also been plenty of off days and times when I felt left out...especially when I first got here, but that's unavoidable in any social situation. For the most part I enjoy the chat room and have found most of the ppl there to be nice, welcoming and fun to talk to. I agree with what some others have posted about the atmosphere of the room changing from day to day, but you don't have to be some kind of amazing conversationalist to join in. As long as you're respectful I think you will be welcome there.

I can understand what you mean about it helping you feel less lonely. Its more immediate I guess and more like a real conversation. Though I find sometimes that messages help me the same way. Sometimes on the boards I can feel a bit like I'm floating about by myself not really connecting with anyone.

Jilted John said:
annik said:
SofiasMami said:

Teresa

Just go in there and blag,I do,they are only people,the same as you and me.

Believe me I'm blagging most of the time on the forum! I wouldn't have said a thing otherwise. :rolleyes:

Annik, I went into chat yesterday, had a great time, and actually laughed hard several times.

It is great to see people interact in a different light.

You should go ahead and give it a try.

I am glad I did.

Bones said:
Annik, I went into chat yesterday, had a great time, and actually laughed hard several times.

I am glad I did.

It was nice having you in chat with us. :)

Thnx

Badjedidude said:
Bones said:

I am glad I did.

It was nice having you in chat with us. :)

Wish more people would come to the chat who are on the forum. :(

Latest posts

Back