My social issues...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice

Reaction score
So this is pretty much my life story so bear with me haha.

Anyways, I've been shy for a long time ( I know this sounds weird, but I've been told that I was very very out-going when I was really young), probably since I started elementary school. This is not where my problems begin however,as I was quite content then and had lots of friends despite being shy.

High school was bad. I didn't fit in from the start, but I was lucky enough to have a small (but very tight-knit) group of friends. I even somehow miraculously got a boyfriend(who I am still with). It was nice, I really enjoyed the times I spent with my old group of friends.

Things started to get bad once everyone started dating. We didn't hang out very much anymore. It was especially bad once two of the friends in our group started dating each other. It made things very awkward for everyone else, as they were a badly matched couple, and their being together caused a lot of problems(ex: constant fighting between them). It also caused my one friend who was in the relationship to act like a physco. (We will call her Nancy)

Nancy was a bit of a control freak to begin with but it was tolerable. But when she started dating our friend it got even worse. It's like all the fun was drained out of her. All that was there was this controlling witch. Soon no one ever wanted to hang out. My friends found other people to hang out with and I was left to my own devices. We still talk but we don't hang out like we used to.

Nancy and I had a very big falling out because I told her how I felt about her behavior. It wasn't pretty, but I do feel happier not having her in my life. The only problem is that it cause a big rift in the group. Even though we weren't hanging out like we did before it still made things very difficult. It's like Nancy tried to make sure I wouldn't have anyone to hang out with on the weekends.

Now that school is over it hasn't gotten much better. I never hang out with any of them, I'm lucky if I get to talk to them. I spend most of my time by myself now, as my boyfriend has become obsessed with trying to become a professional muscian and doesn't have much time for me. It really hurts me, but I think thats another thread all together hah.
As for the people at work, they are all great and I get a long with them well. However, they are all older than me, which makes it hard to hang out with them because they only want to go to the bar and I'm underage. It also doesn't help that I feel stupid and self concious when it comes to asking people to hang out. It's pretty lame.

So now that I've had my little rant, my question is where is a good place to meet people? How can I make myself feel less awkward and weird when trying to make plans? Thanks for reading :)

I'd like to tell you where a great place is to find friends but I don't have any idea where.

Maybe trying Craigslist, give that a go, we used to have something like that here but they changed it to a dating website and I was so pissed about that. There's another website but it's new (to make friends in my hometown) so I'm going to have to wait until someone else posts in the near future.

ive been wondering the same thing for awhile too- where to meet people. maybe you could take a class at a community college? ive made a few friends in my classes in college this semester. you could try volunteering, or going to a church. there are some young adult groups in churches.

i know how you feel about your boy ignoring you. i felt, and still kind of feel, the same about my boy. but depressed people often feel this way. its good that you're taking responsibility for your own happiness.

Latest posts

Back