Next Gen is a step back

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Lager

Reaction score
So as you probably know the PS4 and now the Xbox One are inbound. I was a fanatical Playstation follower (and PC gamer) until the arrival of the 360. I loved my time with the 360 but I think it's time to go back to PC gaming.

The Xbox One looks like a real money consuming piece of honeysuckle unfortunately. So many anti-piracy measures and all around lack of humanity. No backwards compatibility either, Google if you want the full disgusting details. The PS4 is definitely the sane choice out of the two, though there may be more 'pleasant' surprises from the PS camp.

These are the consoles of the future but the hardware they are using is outdated from the get-go. This is much more noticeable this time around since great computers cost next to nothing now, and if you know your stuff you can save a fortune on top of that.

Granted that console games are designed to run on said console without any pussyfooting and on occasion, hardware compatibility can be a problem on the PC... But do you really want to stoop to the demands of the companies if they are behaving this way? I was looking forward to getting my hands on one of these futuristic crates but now I am not so sure. Thoughts?

I stopped console gaming after PS2, although my computer is very outdated as well ^^;
Luckily, I'm a sucker for retro gaming <3

And that's why everyone should buy a Wii U... jk. I'm not a huge gamer; I only have about 5 or 6 games for my PS3. I use it mostly for Netflix and Amazon streaming video, plus as a DVD/Bluray player. I also liked it because it was region free, and I like to play Japanese imports. I think it's served me quite well, overall. I definitely think I have gotten my money's worth out of it. I think the convenience that consoles offer is a huge part of the deal. It is for me. Just plug it into your TV and get relatively smooth operation all from the comfort of your couch. Plus, a lot of gaming is becoming accessible via streaming services, so the importance of raw specs may likely diminish. How much is a PS4 projected to cost?

Edit: I do like PC gaming as well, I should mention. But it depends on the situation. Obviously for stuff like RTS games I use the PC, also I guess Minecraft. But I'm definitely trending towards using it a lot less.

yea... i think microsoft is doing what is basically committing commercial suicide when it comes to the console market. all sony has to do now is have the PS4 not require an online connection and not have some ridiculous used games policy and it will be a no brainer on which console to buy. for the most part, people are stupid though. so i bet people will buy it anyway. as if we dont let corporations dictate enough about our lives already. that movie idiocracy often looks like a vision of the future.

at least the PS4 is a game console, that also does other things.

after that xbox one presentation, it seems more like microsoft wants it to be a media device... that also happens to play games. a step backwards indeed.

I'll stick to my 360 for now, don't get as much playtime as I used to anyway.

for the most part, people are stupid though.
that's it in a nutshell imho.
the world is full of stupid people. and therefore consoles and anything else that the corporations want to push is going to sell.
infact, I bet they could make the worst piece of crap possible with nothing but a good marketing plan and people will line up over night to buy them.
oh wait.. that's hardly a prediction.. it happens all the time!

i'm a pc fan myself and I see gaming consoles as simply an alternative for those who are pc illiterate, but honeslty pc's are no better when it comes to games.
they can make a brand new game play perfectly on a console that's 3 years old, but the pc version that looks pretty much exactly the same wont run unless you have a brand new $250 graphics card or better? all because the added some shadows to back of a blade of grass or something irrelevant.

it will never end unless people start denying them and boycotting certain products or companies.

edgecrusher said:
yea... i think microsoft is doing what is basically committing commercial suicide when it comes to the console market. all sony has to do now is have the PS4 not require an online connection and not have some ridiculous used games policy and it will be a no brainer on which console to buy. for the most part, people are stupid though. so i bet people will buy it anyway. as if we dont let corporations dictate enough about our lives already. that movie idiocracy often looks like a vision of the future.

Yeah but does the PS4 crave electrolytes?

I believe that both of the newer consoles, PS4 and Xbox One, are prime examples of forgetting where one comes from. They no longer care about gamers. They just care about what they feel will make them the most profit. And I honestly think they'll both lose out. They're going to lose a lot of gamers with these.

I love the Xbox 360, I think it powered over the PS3 with ease, despite the fact you have to pay for Live, but I've read a few reports on the One and initial thoughts are that it doesn't look good, and if they're true; I'm not sure I want one.

I've had issues with most devices produced these days, they're being designed to be ever more integrated into the internet, and that frustrates me. Yeah there are some benefits, but the Xbox One apparently is taking this "to the next level", talking rubbish about utilizing all the internet has to offer - so in other words, Facebook, Twitter, Bing, Skype, Cloud... basically the same shite that most other devices have.

Also, the use of a Kinect 2.0 in order for it to even function is mandated, it seems as though you'll be using this as motion control as apposed to the usual pads, although I don't see anything wrong with them.

So apart from regional locking on the One, it will also install each and every game on the 500GB HDD (No, not SSD as were rumored, I think that would have speed benefits) so you don't have to use the disc (although it'll be locked to each specific console) but personally I hate this "feature", although I don't think it's something that's confirmed but has existed in a few different reports.

I'm rambling a bit now, but basically this is a summery of my disappointment of it. This doesn't sound like a console for a regular gamer, just a hyped up media box intertwined into the internet with a gaming function that's probably not much better than the 360. Oh and it's not even been confirmed that you can even play a ******* game when not connected to the internet!

I think M$ are shooting themselves in the foot by designing/advertising the Xbox One as more of a media center appliance than a gaming system. The PS4 looks more promising than One, simply because it's advertised as a console geared more toward gaming and caters to developers. Time will tell though.

Also, contrary to this article, the Xbox One and the PS4 are NOT "a generation ahead" of modern high performance PCs. That's just silly.

PC Master Race forever. :cool:

I know everyone is weeing from excitement at Last Of Us but MGS5 is going to be insane. The facial animation and environmental detail is crazy not to mention the completely revamped gameplay mechanics. Watch Dogs is going to be on PS4 AND PS3 in case anyone missed that... Should be interesting, just like with Hitman: Blood Money back in the day. It looked like absolute dogshit on PS2 (obviously) compared to the 360 version. The limits of the current gen have been hopefully maxed out but a cross gen comparison in a game such as Watch Dogs is something I yearn to see.

GTA5 is for the current gen and apparently will remain that way. A bit odd? Admittedly it is coming out very soon.

I've begun giving sermons on what the end of this generation and the eventual discontinuation of XBL support for the 360 (and by extension, PSN for PS3 as well) will mean for people's "digital content." A lot of people are seemingly genuinely surprised and scared at the idea that all of the DLC, XBLA games, and even and especially Games on Demand games that they've bought will eventually (and within the next few years, most likely) be disappearing forever.

The XBone is a console bogged down by the most ludicrous DRM and "security" features I've ever seen or heard of. Just the sheer magnitude of its mandatory intrusion into the privacy of the player is bad enough, but coupled with the "daily online check-in" requirement and the much-talked-about used game "re-licensing fee" (or whatever they're calling it), I would never imagine buying one. Any one of those features alone would be enough to completely kill my interest in it, but all three together?

I'm also not interested in allowing the government to watch and listen to me via the mandatory Kinect described above. Yeah, yeah, I know, it sounds like conspiracy theory stuff, and MS will probably guarantee it won't happen, but does anyone seriously think the government won't be secretly (and illegally) collecting all of the visual and sound data the Kinect observes (read: records) while paying off MS under the table? They already do this with all sorts of other media companies, and even if (you claim) they don't, it's not something I'd be willing to assume they don't do. But really, the scariest part isn't that they would be doing it, but that the opportunity to do it even exists (whether or not they actually do), paid for entirely by the consumer, no less.

Unless the PS4 comes out with no "mandatory online access" style DRM, no used game restrictions, no mandatory privacy invasion hardware, and no other surprises that could ruin it like the XBone destroyed itself, OR if the WiiU actually ends up getting decent games, I think I'll be looking backwards and enjoying the very extensive library of existing games from the current and previous generations. All of which still function at or near 100%, mind you. I can buy a used PS2 or Gamecube or Xbox game and have the entire game accessible from the start (no DLC, no 'day 1' patches, etc). And I think I could go for the rest of my life without ever buying another console after the current gen, and still have more games than I would ever get to play be available to me.

I think HD and current generation graphics standards has smothered the creativity of the gaming industry, it certainly helped kill off the JRPG genre. Too much in the way of time and resources and disc space is spent on presentation, not enough on gameplay, story, characters, art design and game mechanics.
There were a few games worth the time; GTA 4, the Mass Effect Trilogy and Lost Odyssey (a total throwback), but overall this generation has been uninspiring and I see it only getting worse as things progress into the next.

I do not want a cable box and game system in one where the games are secondary and consist of bland FPS, racing games and cookie cutter "role playing" titles with all the creative elements removed, and that's ignoring the other issues people are bothered about. Also how many next gen games is a 500GB hard drive going to be able to hold??

Apparently, Microsoft is investing one billion in games for Xbox One... I have a feeling they're going to lose a billion dollars.

There's so many 360 games I still have to play I think I may skip a generation and play cheap second hand games.

The Xbox reveal was a joke. I'm surprised they didn't integrate Farmville support in the One (Or did they?) Why would I want to buy a social media-centered console when a PC can do all of that and so much more!? I don't understand what Microsoft is thinking with this heavy-handed DRM either. After years of bad press and customer complaints about DRM, this is what they decide to do. My support for them vanished faster than a disgruntled EA employee's tweets.

I did really like Sony's press conference, the focus on games and developers was just what I wanted to see. And unlike Microsoft, their support for indy devs is good, with the potential to be great. But as Boston Lager said, Sony may have some 'pleasant' surprises coming soon too. I wouldn't doubt that Sony will continue to wow people in the coming months with their focus on games and dev support, but they could drop some serious bombshells in between the good news:

Sony Exec: "inFamous 3 looks great, right?! Ahem....By the way......online passes are now mandatory for all PS4 games."

That's not a real quote of course, just an example of something that wouldn't surprise me, but I'm sure Sony will have some bad news. I guess we'll see.

Locke said:
Sony Exec: "inFamous 3 looks great, right?! Ahem....By the way......online passes are now mandatory for all PS4 games."

That's not a real quote of course, just an example of something that wouldn't surprise me, but I'm sure Sony will have some bad news. I guess we'll see.
If that was the worst Sony came out with, that would be a godsend. Online Passes aren't a problem for me since I buy everything new the day it comes out.

Onto the matter at hand... The Microsoft conference was pretty disappointing. The idea of them referring to it as an "Entertainment System" rather than a gaming platform really got on my nerves. The lack of ANY real gameplay apart from a second of CoD was a real disappointment too.
It's funny that the only people who would have watched the Microsoft press conference would have been the gamers, the fans interested to know what they had next. That entire conference was then spent shafting the people watching it and favoring the people who could realistically not give two shits about what the Xbox One could do with movies.

Microsoft are doing a better job at selling PS4's than Sony ever could.

Not all bad news for Microsoft though. They have 15 exclusives lined up for the first year of the platform with 7 or 9 (I forget which) being new IP's. Meaning that we'll probably see a new Forza, Gears, Fable, Halo, Alan Wake (Fingers crossed) We'll see how things go that I guess... Microsoft have until the end of E3 to really wow me on this. If the exclusives are good enough, I'll take whatever they're giving.
After all, I bought a PS3 just for Uncharted and MGS4 and I haven't regretted the purchase since.
That, and Microsoft are apparently "reviewing" their stance on pre-owned software. They freaking better be.
They'd better be reviewing a LOT of things after the intense backlash they received over this reveal.

PS4 looks cool though. Genkai system (That I'll never be able to use because Australia's internet sucks balls) looks amazing. Sharing and streaming content wherever, whenever is amazing... And the fact I could jump in and help a friend who is stuck at a certain point in a single player game is freaking AWESOME. I sense potential money making business here ;)
Killzone 4 looks alright. Infamous 3 looks about as good as I thought it would. Drive Club is shaping up to be a great racing title. About time.

We'll see what other tricks Sony can pull out of their hat... If they want to dominate the console market, now is their prime chance to really WOW us. If they can win now, they'll have a great lead.

Steambox might get announced at E3 too apparently.. Rumors spreading about it. I don't really believe it, but we'll see... That'd be interesting. Especially since I'd hardly call Nintendo in the Console War anymore with that failure called the Wii U.

I'll stick with my 360 for now; I wasn't impressed with the Xbox One much so I might look to either the Wii U or PS4 if I get a next gen console at all.

rdor said:
I think HD and current generation graphics standards has smothered the creativity of the gaming industry, it certainly helped kill off the JRPG genre. Too much in the way of time and resources and disc space is spent on presentation, not enough on gameplay, story, characters, art design and game mechanics.
There were a few games worth the time; GTA 4, the Mass Effect Trilogy and Lost Odyssey (a total throwback), but overall this generation has been uninspiring and I see it only getting worse as things progress into the next.

I do not want a cable box and game system in one where the games are secondary and consist of bland FPS, racing games and cookie cutter "role playing" titles with all the creative elements removed, and that's ignoring the other issues people are bothered about. Also how many next gen games is a 500GB hard drive going to be able to hold??

I hear you on the lack of JRPGs. I found I had to get my fix for them from my PSP. It seems that's where they all went this gen. (Seriously, there are a lot of good ones on it for some reason). I don't even like portable gaming devices, but that's what I had to do to play the games I like.

Though now that the vita is out I'm sure they'll stop making them for handhelds too.

rdor said:

Edward W said:
There's so many 360 games I still have to play I think I may skip a generation and play cheap second hand games.

Most games across all the previous generations were always honeysuckle. The output of games is now so high that it's difficult to keep your eye on the proverbial ball of quality. The last three years have given us some games worth remembering and replaying. Let's not forget: Metro 2033 + Last Light, Max Payne 3, Spec Ops: The Line, Red Dead Redemption (!), Deus Ex: HR, Dishonored.

Greed has destroyed many great franchises but the technology available to devs now can help produce some revolutionary games. In the right hands.

Latest posts

Back