No Family

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avi

Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there that doesn't have family? I'm in my mid 30s, my parents died and I have no siblings...no aunts/uncles or cousins. It sometimes make me very sad in a world where everything seems revolved around family...

When I open my family photo album all I see are ghosts...pictures of relatives long passed.

I understand this pain all too well. Although I am not 100% completely without family, I have only 1 living family member left. My mom stays with me. She needs alot of looking after, she is virtually blind, has heart problems, and alot of trouble walking so I have to look after her. Despite being the only family member left, I don't have a great connection with her. We get along just fine, but there isn't that 'mother/son' type of relationship anymore.

I say this as there isn't a Thanksgiving celebration anymore. No family dinners. No family trips. No birthday celebrations (except for hers), etc... It gets really hard for me around the holidays. It also doesn't help that despite my mom's disabilities, she still has tons of friends who still take her places, go out with her, etc...with me hanging alone.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it. But know, Avi, that I acknowledge your pain, and my heart goes out to you. If there is anything I can do to maybe help, if you just want to talk, let me know!

You are so kind to respond and share your story with me...sometimes I feel like an alien in this world because I have no 'family'. I try not to be sensitive when others are continuously talking about thier particular family events...I just smile and tell them how wonderful it sounds, but on the inside, it simply tears me apart. Your phrase of opening the family album and only seeing ghosts is very poetic and true.

I am married and consider myself very fortunate for my husband...I was crying to him yesterday saying how if anything happened to him I would be completely alone. He tried to reassure me that HIS family would be there for me, but I told him that they wouldn't...they are not my family and our only connection is my husband. I try so hard to have people like me, and they do, but people's family always comes first, understandably.

This is a lovely forum, I think it might help me...I just don't want to feel alone in my situation. Thanks again for replying.

i'm an orphan with an adopted family. i know im lucky to have them but i feel so distant to them. i have one brother but he looks like them, i know nothing about who i really am. this makes my lonliness even tougher. mostly i try to be humble and thankful but it does hurt.

seekingpeace said:
i'm an orphan with an adopted family. i know im lucky to have them but i feel so distant to them. i have one brother but he looks like them, i know nothing about who i really am. this makes my lonliness even tougher. mostly i try to be humble and thankful but it does hurt.

I understand how difficult that would be...not knowing where you come from...all four of my grandparents died before I was born so I have only been able to get bits and pieces of my family history. Would you be able to find any information from the adoptive agency?? The internet is a powerful tool these days...do you have a name of your biological parents? If yes, then you could possible do a geneology search.

My heart goes out to you...

Chris 2 said:
I wish I had no family:)

I actually chuckled when I read your post...the other side of the spectrum...interesting. I agree there are some crazy families out there! :D

Avi said:
Chris 2 said:
I wish I had no family:)

I actually chuckled when I read your post...the other side of the spectrum...interesting. I agree there are some crazy families out there! :D

Wow I hope that wasn't a rude reply or anything. And yes my family are crazy, and every time I see a man or women, I wish they were my mom and dad instead. I understand that it suck having no family but it also suck having a horrible family, but if you want we can trade places for a few years?:D No I wouldn't wish to have my horrible family on anyone, unless they are my worst enemy.

You know honestly I really don't want to be associated with any kind of ancestory. My first year in college I didn't even miss my family once, and I skip most major holiday: spring break, Thanksgiving without going home. This open my eyes on how much I hate them, like when I live with them I didn't know I hate them that much, but for the first time in my life I finally understood that it wasn't me that should feel guilty, it should be them for treating me like crap. I am home right now for the summer, and I am going crazy. Plus if they weren't alive, I would be able to kill myself, but unfortunately they are still alive, and for many years to come.

Avi that does sound sad. I have a little family left. A mother who has gotten up there in years. She is pretty much it though i do have a brother that i see once ever two years and another who has severe mental problems and doesn't seem to be to sure who he is or who may be around him.

Latest posts

Back