No one wants to commit anymore

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kamya said:
Im not going to want to start a family after my 30s and i dont want to be someone elses meal ticket. She will need to bring at least something to the table or its just not worth it.

I'll say this: I don't identify with MGTOW. Their right-wing politicizing of a "not political" concern is frightening. That being said, where I live, the laws pretty much encourage divorce-as-vocation. I'd love to meet a woman to have an actual relationship with, but in this case, "actual relationship" and "marriage" are antonyms.

I would like to find someone who is ok with me not wanting to live together. It seems like that will be a minority.

TheDude76 said:
kamya said:
Im not going to want to start a family after my 30s and i dont want to be someone elses meal ticket. She will need to bring at least something to the table or its just not worth it.

I'll say this: I don't identify with MGTOW. Their right-wing politicizing of a "not political" concern is frightening. That being said, where I live, the laws pretty much encourage divorce-as-vocation. I'd love to meet a woman to have an actual relationship with, but in this case, "actual relationship" and "marriage" are antonyms.

Men going their own way? I'm not quite sure how what Kamya says coincides with that. I don't particularly know much about the whole MGTOW movement either, nor do I care. But I see nothing wrong with someone saying they want someone to bring something to the table as well. He's not a louch on a couch, so why should he desire his partner to be one?

VanillaCreme said:
TheDude76 said:
kamya said:

Men going their own way? I'm not quite sure how what Kamya says coincides with that. I don't particularly know much about the whole MGTOW movement either, nor do I care. But I see nothing wrong with someone saying they want someone to bring something to the table as well. He's not a louch on a couch, so why should he desire his partner to be one?

That was meant as a preface to my own post, but as far as relevance, the main crux of that movement's issue is that guys aren't looking to be the "meal ticket". The rest of their "we should go back to the way things were" arguments I don't agree with. On that one matter, though, I do. That's why a lot of guys won't commit.

TheDude76 said:
That was meant as a preface to my own post, but as far as relevance, the main crux of that movement's issue is that guys aren't looking to be the "meal ticket". The rest of their "we should go back to the way things were" arguments I don't agree with. On that one matter, though, I do. That's why a lot of guys won't commit.

Sorry but I've never heard of this. MGTOW also hates traditionalism, hence, bringing back the past. MGTOW is not a solid movement, so the fact you heard a couple of guys saying this doesn't mean it's a core belief in it.

TheDude76 said:
VanillaCreme said:
TheDude76 said:
kamya said:

I'm still not totally sure what the whole movement is really for. Seems like a bunch of bullshit to me. But now my question is, does it have to be a part of a movement in order for someone - not just a guy - to not want to be someone's meal ticket? I mean, can you really blame someone for saying that? If a female were to have said it, then she'd be empowered. But a guy says it, and it has to be a part of this whole caca-poopoo movement. We're all supposedly equal, but it's based on our gender how things are taken.

I'm sure if I learned in detail more about the whole thing, I'd understand it more. But as of right now, it doesn't make any sense to me.

VanillaCreme said:
I'm still not totally sure what the whole movement is really for. Seems like a bunch of bullshit to me.

Read this carefully.

VanillaCreme said:
But now my question is, does it have to be a part of a movement in order for someone - not just a guy - to not want to be someone's meal ticket? I mean, can you really blame someone for saying that?

No, your right, but that's not even the 10% of what they say.

VanillaCreme said:
If a female were to have said it, then she'd be empowered. But a guy says it, and it has to be a part of this whole caca-poopoo movement. We're all supposedly equal, but it's based on our gender how things are taken.

You answered your own question. It is a gender issue and that's why is taken from the male perspective.

VanillaCreme said:
I'm sure if I learned in detail more about the whole thing, I'd understand it more. But as of right now, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Something I missed: It shouldn't be called a movement because it doesn't have collective goals. It's just the individual resolution of a man to choose his own path and ignore society's expectations, nothing else. At this point it doesn't even has to do with romantic relationships anymore.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:
But now my question is, does it have to be a part of a movement in order for someone - not just a guy - to not want to be someone's meal ticket? I mean, can you really blame someone for saying that?

Originally, that was pretty much the sum total of the MGTOW thing. Later, people added all this right wing, "the government is wrong", misogynistic stuff, and as that's not my thing, I was specifically stating so.

TheDude76 said:
Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

Originally, that was pretty much the sum total of the MGTOW thing. Later, people added all this right wing, "the government is wrong", misogynistic stuff, and as that's not my thing, I was specifically stating so.

MGTOWs believe the majority of women view men as resources to exploit, which is pretty extreme and dogmatic even if one tries to ignore the Going Galt nonsense.

ardour said:
TheDude76 said:
Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

MGTOWs believe the majority of women view men as resources to exploit, which is pretty extreme and dogmatic even if one tries to ignore the Going Galt nonsense.

We are here to exploit. It's called "divorce".

I don't understand why people need groups to believe what they want to believe. You want to "Go your own way," fine, ******* go, but how is it "going your own way" when people are telling you which way to go?

TheRealCallie said:
I don't understand why people need groups to believe what they want to believe. You want to "Go your own way," fine, ******* go, but how is it "going your own way" when people are telling you which way to go?

I believe the original intention was to compare experiences, which would have been all well and good. Unfortunately, some folks with very pointed views redefined that group, and now it is what it is.

TheDude76 said:
TheRealCallie said:

I believe the original intention was to compare experiences, which would have been all well and good. Unfortunately, some folks with very pointed views redefined that group, and now it is what it is.

Men were going their own way long before, but they didn't know that much about each other before the internet came into existence. So when they crossed paths they didn't collectively decide what that "way" was...they were already on it and as TheDude pointed out, shared and compared their experiences.

There are elements within MGTOW co-opt the label and push it in a very specific direction. Traditional conversatives, strict biological determinists or people from the far-right. And there is even an element that is opposed to men's rights advocacy because they believe completely opting out of the "system" is the only way to properly fight it.

...and why do people need groups? Because collectivism in humans is a thing.

I do want commitment, but I am a woman. I still believe somehow I can find love, and that by some magical reason it will be mutual, and that person will want a commitment to me too.

Sadly I am not in that place right now. Dont know if I ever will be. I dont want to hope, because hope gives you the illusion that it is going to happen when it might never happen. but I dont want to be a pessimist, or depressed either.

I have been alone for a while, you start getting used to things being that way. maybe that is all I will get.

Rodent said:
Men were going their own way long before, but they didn't know that much about each other before the internet came into existence. So when they crossed paths they didn't collectively decide what that "way" was...they were already on it and as TheDude pointed out, shared and compared their experiences.

I suppose that's what I don't really get. Okay, they were going their own way, but does it have to be a movement? No one really cares where whoever goes. I don't get why it has to be put out there like that. But I could say that about a lot of other things as well, and I do.

VanillaCreme said:
Rodent said:

I suppose that's what I don't really get. Okay, they were going their own way, but does it have to be a movement? No one really cares where whoever goes. I don't get why it has to be put out there like that. But I could say that about a lot of other things as well, and I do.

I guess you could call it solidarity. There's no small amount of social pressure for a man in a long term relationship to enter into an uncertain financial arrangement in which there is much to lose for nothing more than social approval. I find it comforting knowing that other guys out there are dealing with the same relationship issues, although as I stated before, that MGTOW group really has gone casters-up.

TheDude76 said:
VanillaCreme said:
Rodent said:

I guess you could call it solidarity. There's no small amount of social pressure for a man in a long term relationship to enter into an uncertain financial arrangement in which there is much to lose for nothing more than social approval. I find it comforting knowing that other guys out there are dealing with the same relationship issues, although as I stated before, that MGTOW group really has gone casters-up.

Exactly, now we are getting there. Movements form around shared ideas and values and as I said before, collectivism is a thing and most people will seek for some sort of community or solidarity. Unless you are a very strong individualist. Which I believe you are, Nilla.

But I think it's terribly wrong to assume that nobody cares where these men are going. Or that nobody shamed them for the outrageous choice of taking care of themselves first...which happened long before extreme voices became louder within the movement.

Latest posts

Back