Official "Lonely Life Recent Game Happenings Thread"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tealeaf said:
****, and here I just purchased Wrath of the Lamb. I guess my roguelike journey isn't done yet.

I'm here to shoot monsters and eat Chinese food... and I'll shoot them right after I've finished this bowl of sesame chicken.

Ah, you're talking about the original flash version of Isaac! These days I always presume people are talking about Rebirth. In that case, you can scratch The Dark Room, The Negative, The Lamb, The Angels, Mega-Satan and The Lost. Everything else stands though.

Wrath of the Lamb is so much harder than the vanilla version and it's also harder than the remake is IMO.

user 130057 said:
Tealeaf said:
****, and here I just purchased Wrath of the Lamb. I guess my roguelike journey isn't done yet.

I'm here to shoot monsters and eat Chinese food... and I'll shoot them right after I've finished this bowl of sesame chicken.

Ah, you're talking about the original flash version of Isaac! These days I always presume people are talking about Rebirth. In that case, you can scratch The Dark Room, The Negative, The Lamb, The Angels, Mega-Satan and The Lost. Everything else stands though.

Wrath of the Lamb is so much harder than the vanilla version and it's also harder than the remake is IMO.

Rebirth comes after this. Give me a couple days. ;)

And yeah, it's hard. I'm also finding weird pee spots. This game makes me say so many awkward things.

Started back playing wow. horde on alterac mountain server, and seeing all the changes they made since 2011 pretty amazing all things considered for it to be a ten year old game theyve did a whole lot with it. And i hate to admit it but im even having fun with the (pokemon ) pet batttles lol. Also plan to play through the dragon age games, i got all those now, i beat the first one but havent really played the second and third so should be a good time killer. Really love that series and mass effect.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees this Steam holiday auction as counterproductive for players...

You want me to turn something that has other uses into a pretend currency good only for this event, then spend my time trying to maybe win something I can get through other means?

Sure, you could save money in theory, but as a freelancer time is literally money...

Next event, please.

Tealeaf said:
Maybe I'm the only one who sees this Steam holiday auction as counterproductive for players...

You want me to turn something that has other uses into a pretend currency good only for this event, then spend my time trying to maybe win something I can get through other means?

Sure, you could save money in theory, but as a freelancer time is literally money...

Next event, please.

Oh my. You're right, it does look rather silly.
Still, those card things don't really serve much of a purpose, do they?

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
Tealeaf said:

Next event, please.

I've never paid attention to them, but I think they can be sold.

Tealeaf said:
Tealeaf said:

Next event, please.

I've never paid attention to them, but I think they can be sold.

The whole thing is a bit pointless to be honest. Cards drop as you play games, then when you've collected the whole set, you can turn them into a badge - which gives you 100XP, a background, an emote and occasionally a 50-90% off coupon. You can level each badge up to a maximum level of 5.

As you gain XP, you gain Steam levels. These levels unlock profile features such as achievement and screenshot showcases and extend your available friend slots.

The problem is that the amount of card drops available per game is always half the cards necessary to make a badge, so you've either got to purchase them from other players on the marketplace, trade for them or wait for an incredibly rare booster pack to be awarded to you.

The only time I ever bother completing a badge is during one of the bi-annual sales, because then they award you a holiday sale card. Collect all of those and make the holiday badge to be awarded a random item from one of the free to play steam games that could be worth several hundred dollars... although it's more likely to be worth a few pennies.

In all honesty, you'd be better off just selling every card you get on the marketplace.

What this event is good for is allowing me to get rid of the hundreds of emotes and backgrounds I had sat in my inventory. It would have taken hours to list them all on the marketplace and I value my time much more than the few dollars they would have been worth. I ended up with 14000 gems - which should be just about enough to buy a pair of shoe laces :p

Good point. Might actually get a game out of them if a sale has the games cheap enough. Thanks for the heads up guys. Goodbye System Shock cards!

I take back the whole 'useless event/pointless gems' comment. It's actually been a decent event. Once you got past the stupid bids on the first 15 or so rounds, things became much more reasonable. If you timed things well and paid attention to how much gems were worth on the open market versus the actual retail price, then there were some great savings to be made on a lot of titles. It probably helps that I am more interested in indie games and new experiences over AAA blockbusters.

I've won a total of 38 auctions and the gems I used cost a total of £58. At their usual steam prices, the games would have cost £343. I saved almost 85% and that's way better than I would have achieved by waiting for the sale on the 18th. It's like a Humble Bundle, but I'm allowed to choose every game myself :D

user 130057 said:
I take back the whole 'useless event/pointless gems' comment. It's actually been a decent event. Once you got past the stupid bids on the first 15 or so rounds, things became much more reasonable. If you timed things well and paid attention to how much gems were worth on the open market versus the actual retail price, then there were some great savings to be made on a lot of titles. It probably helps that I am more interested in indie games and new experiences over AAA blockbusters.

I've won a total of 38 auctions and the gems I used cost a total of £58. At their usual steam prices, the games would have cost £343. I saved almost 85% and that's way better than I would have achieved by waiting for the sale on the 18th. It's like a Humble Bundle, but I'm allowed to choose every game myself :D

Curses! Missed that chance!

Thinking of downloading a game called Witcher. It says it needs around 16000 mb of disk space. Does this mean it takes around 16000 mb of Internet data to install it?

user 130057 said:

Curses! Missed that chance!

Thinking of downloading a game called Witcher. It says it needs around 16000 mb of disk space. Does this mean it takes around 16000 mb of Internet data to install it?

The Witcher is a great game. It's sequel is even better. If you're referring to what is shown when you click 'install' on Steam, then it is the total amount of HDD/SDD space required, not necessarily the size of the download.

If you just start installing it and then look at the download box it will show the size of the download rather than total space required.

Oh! (Thank goodness) Thanks! :)

Don't thank me yet - it might well be the same size! Some heavily compressed downloads are less than half the size, but others show no difference between the installer and the game itself.

I downloaded Shadow of Mordor the other day and it was a 35.1GB download, then a 7GB patch and a 3+GB texture file...

user 130057 said:

Don't thank me yet - it might well be the same size! Some heavily compressed downloads are less than half the size, but others show no difference between the installer and the game itself.

I downloaded Shadow of Mordor the other day and it was a 35.1GB download, then a 7GB patch and a 3+GB texture file...

I see you may be right. 10 GIGABYTES?!? Looks like I can pause the download though, so maybe I can stop it and continue it later?

user 130057 said:

I see you may be right. 10 GIGABYTES?!? Looks like I can pause the download though, so maybe I can stop it and continue it later?

Yes, you can pause and restart it as many times as you need without affecting anything.

user 130057 said:
user 130057 said:

Yes, you can pause and restart it as many times as you need without affecting anything.

I see. Nice! Thanks! :)

I've been reliving my early childhood by playing a digital version of the 1983 Fighting Fantasy gamebook 'The Forest of Doom'. I loved it just as much as I did when I was 9.

Sometimes I think Mass Effect was designed to troll me. The AI is weird and causes team members to get trapped between NPCs, and the characters get into weird positions.

Had started a new game and was mucking about near some markets when Garrus crouched down behind Kaidan. Was concerned he was the third team member to get trapped tonight so I went to talk to him. "You can buy anything you want here, legal or not," he says while staring directly into Kaidan's ass.

Did not have a response to that.

At least he wasn't trapped.

Started playing Witcher. Cool game, despite having a weird combat system.

Tealeaf said:
Sometimes I think Mass Effect was designed to troll me. The AI is weird and causes team members to get trapped between NPCs, and the characters get into weird positions.

Had started a new game and was mucking about near some markets when Garrus crouched down behind Kaidan. Was concerned he was the third team member to get trapped tonight so I went to talk to him. "You can buy anything you want here, legal or not," he says while staring directly into Kaidan's ass.

Did not have a response to that.

At least he wasn't trapped.

Huh. Weird. Wasn't there also something about the AI suddenly wandering into your line of fire?

Latest posts

Back