online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow

Reaction score
This is the third thread I've recently started in this board...I know, I'm a nerd. Lol.

Anyway has anyone ever had luck with online dating sites? I've only tried one free site [okcupid.com], and after messaging some 20-30 different girls I gave up. Only one actually replied, and I found she lived way too far for my liking. This was about a year ago.

To me, it seems much harder online than dating in real life. Its so much easier for the girl to ignore you. In fact, my question to the guys [that have tried it] is which sites are the best? If any ladies have tried it, how would a guy have to word his profile to interest you, since there are so many hopeless guys to turn down.

I haven't been on any online dating sites, but I did join a dating service that was conducted via the telephone. I went on quite a few dates and found it quite good, but your phone time was charged by the minute and I found it way to expensive to use the service, so I left.

Snow,

I have been on a dating site, christiancafe.com and that's where I met the guy I've been seeing for the last 6 years. We lived a couple hours apart, but he lived near my parents, so we saw eachother once in a while. He was more settled into where he was living than I was, so I gave it two years, of distance friendship (you can't really create a "relationship" starting that far apart even if that is your ultimate goal, so a friendship is so much better), and if that was able to be maintained, then I was willing to move. That was four years ago, and things are good. I think it depends on what you are really looking for as to what site you want to use to meet someone. There are so really "trashy" sites (my opinion only) where people are looking soley to score, or to cheat, etc, not for a real, lasting relationship.

I found my first, only and current love via a dating website. It was a swedish one which have changed name and all that now, so i don't know whether it's good or not, but back then it was great. It had this "love-meter"-bar which showed Your match with another persons profile directly when You visit that profile, Madeleine, the woman of my life, had a 95 % matchh so that meter was almost full. I sent her one message and then we both were caught. ;)

The profile should be filled with Your most positive traits to begin with and Your less attractive personalities toned down at the end. ;) "Everyone can change" is a phrase some people might consider putting into it as well, hehe. =)

if he said i'm humble and i'd like to get 2 know you..that'd do it for me..
all i can say..i think online dating is great...but emotions are emotions..i didnt realise it at first..but you can really fall for someone over the net..so becareful..lol..lots of great relationships come from the net..i dont know any sites..but yea..you might get hurt a lot trying..and getting hurt is never good..it can drain you of your fire! lol..but i think if you deal with people near you and meet up your chances are good...
good luck n let us know how ir goes

I've dated online in the past. I find it easier to get to know someone online because you can change your wording before sending it out, even when IMing. That way you don't feel like such a social klutz. You can take words back before you've even used them, so it's a much easier way to battle your shyness and learn more about someone before they can be too quick to judge you. You just have to be honest and sometimes that's hard if you're afraid you're not sophisticated enough. Also, being online, your expressions, body language, and tone don't betray you :)!

I have several email friends whom I've never met, but I feel for sure they might not be interested anymore if we met in person, so I feel safe this way.

Both Jales and Pebblette I think really mentioned the key point...the "safety" of the e-mail without ever meeting. I liked how Jales said it...you can really fall over the net...is it is exactly that mixed blessing of being able to edit and select your words without your body and tone getting in the way. I would caution that if you want something to become a tangible relationship beyond the e-mail then to move to phone or a safe meeting as quickly as possible. Not everyone intends it; but your written self can often be slightly different than your spoken self. It is like reading a book and then seeing the movie and realizing the movie character doesn't look or talk the way you imagined them.

Maybe you can even try online games lol.. but erm people aren't looking for solely relationships on there, but it happens sometimes. I see it alot, people being good friends, playing together a lot and then it turns into something more. Dunno about dating sites though. You have to be careful with anyone you meet on the internet. Yeah you can fall for someone online.. and hard too if you go in too deep. Make sure you call them up, etc. and make sure they are real/not a scam before you get too involved. Internet can be scary, anyone can make up any identity! :(

Ive tried, nobody ever replies, dont understad why. Did it last time just to prove a point to my boss. My boss dosnt quite seem to get that its hopeless for me to try yet. :p

If I wanted to choose one to go with I'd go with Eharmony. It's a far more complex way to match people which is the complete opposite of your typical dating site. Although from what I understand they only match Male-Female couples, so it's not exactly for everyone.

sloth4urluv said:
Ive tried, nobody ever replies, dont understad why.

That was my experience. Actually i did get a quick note from a couple people but after i responded i never heard anything again. I would go over my response time and time again trying to understand what i had in there that would drive someone off.

I also found the profile thing really hard to write because it seem that i have no real interests or good points. I found that to be a difficult part of the online thing in that you are kind of forced to be a little egotistical or else sound like a total bore. While the total bore part may be true it isn't really a good selling point.

I've had moderate success with OKCupid. I've only chatted with some people and yes, most people will ignore you, and yes they will do it based on your pic, so really take time to choose a good pic. It's sad but as soon as I put up a few more attractive pictures of myself people really looked at my page a lot more.

I am HORRIBLE at verbal communication when I am nervous, I stumble on words, cant think straight, and say things I shouldn't. When I can type out, edit, erase, THINK for several minutes about what I am going to say I really feel a lot better about it. I love IM/Email for this reason.

I'm not willing to pay for anything online since I think most of them are scams anyways, save for maybe a few, and OKCupid has a lot of new things they are adding to make it better and still free. Why should you have to pay to meet people like you? When you fill out your profile do not rush, and do not try to accommodate what other people may want, write whats natural, and do edit it do be clear and unique. Your only chance to meet someone really compatible is to be honest in your profile, so that when that right person reads it, it just clicks for them: "Omg, he is just like me, he understands me."

I never tried that but i think it would be fun lol

sloth4urluv said:
Ive tried, nobody ever replies, dont understad why. Did it last time just to prove a point to my boss. My boss dosnt quite seem to get that its hopeless for me to try yet. :p
Its cause you are a hard head and never listen to me. You dont need sites. Just call that girl and tell her you like her! Like i said yesterday, the worst you can get is a no and dont have her and be alone for sometime that is the same situation you are in right now. GUYS!!!

It's sad but as soon as I put up a few more attractive pictures of myself people really looked at my page a lot more.
-----------
lol of course... thats why i was always aganist to see my friends before i really love them (and let them see me). Cause one day you will know that person so pretty well (cause we are chatting, if we were in real life we would quiet, watching a movie) that you just dont give a S if he/she is fat, ugly, if the nose is in the midle of the forehead and so on... But i think on those sites, if you dont put a pic, nobody will look at you. Too bad cause one day we all will get old and the beauty will be just a good memory lol.

I am HORRIBLE at verbal communication when I am nervous, I stumble on words, cant think straight, and say things I shouldn't. When I can type out, edit, erase, THINK for several minutes about what I am going to say I really feel a lot better about it. I love IM/Email for this reason.
------------
You need to get over it ^.^ or you are not going to go to the second step that is meeting the person o_O Well, if its really too hard for you, and if she loves you lots, you can meet and take laptops :] It will be like chatting using a webcam but closer x)

I tried on line dating i dated someone for a 8 months then
im not sure what happened we just .....stopped talking :/

Hijacc said:

Arent you too young to be dating? NVM i started with 15 (but the first kiss was with 13 and it was ewww lol )

Humm if you still liking her send her an email or call her.

Luna said:
Hijacc said:

Arent you too young to be dating? NVM i started with 15 (but the first kiss was with 13 and it was ewww lol )

Humm if you still liking her send her an email or call her.
Too young?Me?lol Im ready to carry on a full blown relationship if fate permits it :p anyways most kids my age arent even virgins
:/ ......love knows no boundry's

And itd be kind of retarded that after 2 years i call her back
"oh yah were was I?"
I mean I loved her and all but I think if I called her back now it would just create problems
she's probably found somebody else anyways so if shes happy im happy no need in stirring up trouble.

Lol Teens are so **** cute lol How you can be sure she has someone? Maybe she is alone just like you. And how you know she doesnt feel the same? Just wait her birthday (good excuse) and call her lol Something that ive noticing meeting you all is that you try to imagine what girls think and i dont know about the rest of us but i thing that if you dont ask you will never know.
Ohhh just in case you listen to me, be sure its her birthday cause a guy that i.... (he was not my bf. In parties, sometimes, if theres a cute guy and he comes to talk to you, he can ask you to "ficar" with him that means a bf for the time that the party lasts). Well... anyway.. after a long time i didnt talk to him cause he got me in trouble, he called my house and my mom answered. And he asked to talk to me but i was out so my mom asked "Do you want to leave a message for her?" and he said: "No, i just wanted to say Happy Birthday to her". And my mom said: " But today its not her birthday" And he said: "of course it is" so they started with yes! no! yes! no! So my mom finally said: "Do you want to argue? u.u Her birthday is in 10 days! u.u I was there when she was borning, you think i would forget? u.u"
The guy never called again :p
So find a good excuse and be sure you are totally right, if someday you try to call her x)

Well why don't you just mail her and ask. Say something like I was just wondering how you are. If shes not interested then you have not lost nothing but maybe a bit of pride.

Because she stopped answering my calls :(
okay....And she was one of the only girls
i felt that way about and i dont know her birthday

Latest posts

Back