OWS: Real or just a Fad?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
Occupy Wall Street. It's a hot topic! Not only in the U.S., there have been protests in Canada, Italy, Australia, and the UK!

So what do you guys think about these people? Some say they are just regular people who want change, some say they are whiny, lazy people who just need to get to work.

I think we are ripe for a revolution... Lets just hope it doesn't require violence.

It's a fad, whether or not it actually has an impact and creates change. It's just like when farmers and truckers blocked up roads and congested highways trying to make a point. They raised awareness for whatever it was all about, but in the end it really didn't bring much change. People get swept up in these so called "political movements" or "rallies" or "protests" because it's the "in" thing to do. Then when change doesn't come or takes too long, they just give up and move on to the next "event".

Well its nice to see that people all over are begining to recognise and want to change the inequalities, but like most protests-this is just going to go unnoticed i think.
Here in England, there are people camping outside a cathedral in london-the people that run it said they could stay there-now they are telling them to go away as they have had to close the cafe and the shop. I think that sums up how a lot of people think. We all complain about how bad things are getting, some people decide to do something and get a bit of support, then the support disappears really quickly, and then we moan about the protesters getting in our way.

There is also the issue that no one is going to listen. Millions protested here against the wars in iraq-but they didnt listen. thousands protested against the university fee changes-no one listened. This one is tiny in comparison to the others we have had- so no one cares.

Nothing will change-the people they are protesting against own the wealth-nothing will make them change their mind and give up their money-why would they! They dont care about anyone else.

It used to be that non violent protesting could really bring about change. It was a big deal because violence is a horrible solution to problems. It becomes part of problems. However, people today don't seem to take protesting as anything more then annoying. People have a south park type attitude towards people who take the time to speak up. So protesting is losing it's usefulness. People used to know that violence could come if nothing changed. So many people are so apathetic that protesting seems to accomplish very little. The only recourse is that at some point things will get bad enough that it will require more then just protesting. There are many who have been clamoring for years for armed revolution. It may eventually come to that.

To me it seems as if the rich get bolder and those who are not in the 3% become more and more unimportant. If you have enough money you can buy anything. Commit murder and buy your way out. Rob whole nations and walk away without any justice.

I guess that people are also scared to protest to the level they used to do in some cases. Police attack protesters and then there's always the anarchists that decide that they will turn up and start smashing things- they ruin everything. Any widespread support that the public has for protesters turns to disgust when they are around-like the London riots, G20 riots, Student fees etc. I speak of English experiences because that's what I know more about, but im sure the same applies all over. Maybe the OWS will get anarchic.... If you look at the uprisings in other countries they all have violent moments-maybe that is the only way.

I really doubt that will happen in place like the UK or USA though- people are too scared to do that-or just don't think its necessary. I mean most people have homes and do not face serious troubles so therefore feel content in their lives and believe the crap that politicians spew out about the situation getting better. So until things get really really bad, or until a person comes along that starts a revolution like Russia's, get used to the injustices with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer!

Ya, the anarchists are a group that are actually paid to behave that way by people who want to see protests broken up. I have seen footage of protesters fighting with these people. Trying to figure out what was going on. And they have found out that these people are out to sabotage things. Hosted even by those who bring them in.

The entire Occupy movement is just a fad. They can't really change anything.

Because here's the ***** of it: IT'S NOT WALL STREET'S FAULT. The clear majority of bankers and wall street employees are guys who make maybe $60,000 a year and bust their asses working 70 hour weeks (or more) and have college degrees. ALSO... Wall Street and the banking system, as well as the stock exchange, is what drives capitalism. Capitalism is what's made America strong and it's one of the fundamental beliefs behind American ideology.

Are these protesters trying to get rid of capitalism or destroy the banking industry? That would only cripple the U.S.

It would make more sense if these people protested outside of the homes and mansions of the uber rich that they CLAIM they are targeting.

It's my opinion that these protests will effectively accomplish nothing while allowing the protesters to feel like they actually have done something. It's a salve for the masses; nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not even sure that the issue will be seriously brought up during 2012 campaign debate.

Honestly, I'm surprised people didn't get riled up earlier. 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' as was the saying in Network. Problem is, they're not going to achieve anything, I fear. Except maybe catch a cold or a beating.

The problem with OWS, in my opinion, is that they have no leaders. They're selling this as a good thing, 'equality is good' and all that, but in practical terms a movement needs leaders to keep things cohesive and on-message, to prevent things from fizzling out in different ways.

India had Gandhi, the Civil Rights had King, the Suffragettes had Pankhurst, not to mention the other lower leaders and organisers who didn't make as big a public impression.

There doesn't seem to be anyone centrally thinking about what's good capitalism and bad capitalism, what's the useful engine of change and productivity stuff, and which companies are exploiting their workers and the environment, conning their customers, and so on.

There needs to be leaders looking through the published accounts of big companies, look at which pay their ground-level staff peanuts so they can pay their executives millions, and target them, rather than generically target 'Wall Street' because that's where they understand capitalism as happening.

I'd like to believe that change is coming, but don't see it happening.

Nothing is going to change in my opinion.

Economic inequality should be research though.

Nothing is going to change in my opinion.

Economic inequality should be research though. I'm not saying inequality is a bad thing too, we don't want to end up communist.

kamya said:
Eh? Has any protest ever worked since the internet happened?

Facebook, youtube and twitter helped the Egyptian revolution.

Here in Sacramento, there's been an occupy gathering in Cesar Chavez park downtown. The park is open 5am-11pm. They've been repeatedly kicked out and/or arrested for setting up camp there after 11pm and refusing to leave.
There's been talk for several years in the city about whether or not to allow the homeless to camp in a "Safe Ground" as camping is illegal in the city but with massive budget cuts to public services, the homeless have nowhere to go. There is still no Safe Ground but now there's these occupy people demanding the right to camp. Why haven't they been fighting for the rights of the down and out to camp outdoors for the past few years? Or maybe they don't count the homeless as part of the "99%". It's just nonsensical to me.
After the first heavy frost in the Big Apple, the OWS people will go home.

Teresa

SofiasMami said:
After the first heavy frost in the Big Apple, the OWS people will go home.

Unfortunately i probably agree with this.

In the modern west protestors tend to be posers rather than those who're driven to put in the legwork to make lasting change.

Latest posts

Back