People have lost their minds

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I concur.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

― J. Krishnamurti

That's why I would prefer to live in past decades, as in the 50s or before. I'm not naive or gullible to say that the past was perfect, because it wasn't, but, in my OPINION, it was far more interesting and healthier than now.
Just look at today's world affairs. Does it seem nice? Althought it is a good thing that technology and science advanced and made current life easier and more pleasant, it also made the modern people weak, spoiled, selfish and foolish. Just look at social media, and how people react and interact on many places on the Internet. Just check, for example, this forum. If we live in such nice age, why many flock to here? Why more and more people are increasingly lonely and depressive? Mental health is deteriorating and day-by-day society gets colder, more selfish and more vain.
I wonder where this world is going to. Certainly not to a bright and nice future.
I apologize beforehand for my English skills, since it's not my native language.

I don't really see people as proud to be viewed as ignorant but more like ignorance passed off as some kind of secret knowledge that needs to be promoted.

I think it's capitalism that's at least partially to blame, because I feel like a lot of the time there's more than one factor for why things happen. In capitalism, you only need to be smart enough to do your job. That's the only thing it wants you to think deeply about. It doesn't have any interest in, or use for teaching you to think deeply about other things. In fact, under capitalism, the less you think deeply about everything else, the better off you'll be.

Also it promotes a cold, cruel, competitive survival-of-the-fittest mentality. I think that's why life feels like a race more now than before, even though all this technology was supposed to make our lives easier. And I think it also at least partially explains why we're lonelier now too. I don't feel like the technology itself is to blame - more so the culture that, instead of creating more free time, it's instead used to maximize efficiency - which winds up creating more work time. The way it is being used, is creating the opposite effect.

I really feel strongly that technology should be used to lessen, or even do away with, survival of the fittest. It's an inherently cruel philosophy. And most of us are not the fittest, so I don't know why we would want this. I feel like the further away we get from that, the happier we will be. I think we can, and should, evolve beyond it.

And a non-endorsement of capitalism, isn't the same thing as automatically endorsing communism by the way. I just feel like there's nothing that says capitalism is perfect, and should never be questioned, and shouldn't change to be more compassionate, or change with the times.

I don't know what we can do though, because we still need to incentivize things, and we still haven't found a way to divide resources in a better way that we can all agree with. I'm not an economist, I don't have the answers. This is just the feeling that I get.

Last edited:
I try not to pay attention to the ugliness in life. If you look at negative things your mind will be affected negatively.

If you keep your eyes on the beautiful side of life then you will feel much better.

If ignorance is bliss, well then, I choose to ignore the ignorant.

I don't know what we can do though, because we still need to incentivize things, and we still haven't found a way to divide resources in a better way that we can all agree with. I'm not an economist, I don't have the answers. This is just the feeling that I get.
As people get more desperate, history suggests that they're not going to rise in a mighty working class tidal wave and wash away their oppressors. They're gonna turn on each other.

As people get more desperate, history suggests that they're not going to rise in a mighty working class tidal wave and wash away their oppressors. They're gonna turn on each other.

That's what I'm afraid of. I think it's going to be that way at first - in fact that's how it is right now. But I think if it gets bad enough, in time, things will get better and sooner or later, we'll have to start having serious talks about changing things, when the way it's been in the past simply becomes unsustainable. I haven't been following too closely but I'm glad to hear about all the strikes and stuff that's been happening lately. It's good to see people saying "no" to exploitation. Hopefully it will change the direction of things in the future, at least to some degree.

I try not to pay attention to the ugliness in life. If you look at negative things your mind will be affected negatively.

If you keep your eyes on the beautiful side of life then you will feel much better.

Actually, I do agree with this in a way. It can drive a person crazy, and get you down in the dumps focusing on everything that's wrong in the world. The way I see it, if it's not your job to solve these problems, if you aren't actually equipped and skilled to solve it, then you're probably better off not focusing on it, to avoid feeling angry or down about it. And to avoid getting caught up in one outrage after the next, while not actually doing anything about any of it because you're not directly involved in it, so to you it's just an abstraction.

It's easy to lose your identity, lose the plot of your own life in these things.

I value my ignorance sometimes. A lot of things out there are only designed to lead you on or sell you something. Products.. politics.. Paying attention is not always the smartest move

I concur.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

― J. Krishnamurti

That's why I would prefer to live in past decades, as in the 50s or before. I'm not naive or gullible to say that the past was perfect, because it wasn't, but, in my OPINION, it was far more interesting and healthier than now.
Just look at today's world affairs. Does it seem nice? Althought it is a good thing that technology and science advanced and made current life easier and more pleasant, it also made the modern people weak, spoiled, selfish and foolish. Just look at social media, and how people react and interact on many places on the Internet. Just check, for example, this forum. If we live in such nice age, why many flock to here? Why more and more people are increasingly lonely and depressive? Mental health is deteriorating and day-by-day society gets colder, more selfish and more vain.
I wonder where this world is going to. Certainly not to a bright and nice future.
I apologize beforehand for my English skills, since it's not my native language.
Your English skills are perfect ! I agree with every word you've written....I have felt like this for awhile now....I pray for unity in our country again.....I was born in the mid-50's and grew up in the 60's, had my 2 daughters in the 70's ...my grandchildren are growing up now...nothing like the world their parents and I grew up and became adults in...I feel there is a true mental health pandemic...Have so many people always suffered or is it just becoming so noticable....people are cold, rude and have definitely lost their manners and need to find them...thank you for posting this response....I feel so less alone in my thoughts.....God bless..

You are not alone....my oldest daughter .....has closed her mind to the ignorance , hatred, anger in the world....she was very into positive changes in the world but the nastiness and lack of untiy and manners finally became not a part of her and her life...so she stays away from it all.....you are not alone...

I have no idea what you are talking about. ;) TV is helping to educate us all.

iu

Latest posts

Back