Pessimism & Optimism

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haz

Reaction score
Just a thought I want to share.

Lately i've been approaching life doing away with pessimistic and optimistic ideals, through trial and error i've come to a tentative conclusion that both of these are a cancer of the mind colouring our actions in certain ways that are rarely beneficial to us.

Pessimism would appear to set us up for inevitable failure and a "quitter" attitude when the going gets tough, whilst optimism sets us up for hope which may not be grounded in anything concrete and disappointment when things don't go as planned. Surely there must be happy balance in between, a cautious outlook which concentrates more about what we have to work with and what can be done resulting in the best possible situation for ourselves.

Thoughts? I have not fully taken these ideas to heart, but I have been trying to apply them over the past week or two with some limited success. I just want some feedback.

"Surely there must be happy balance in between, a cautious outlook which concentrates more about what we have to work with and what can be done resulting in the best possible situation for ourselves."

That's probably the best possible way that a person can live their life. CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC. You have to figure out what you are capable of accomplishing and try not to expect too much from life.

I like to think that I can both hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. Pessimism is not for me, but I find that pragmatism and utilitarianism can work alongside a positive attitude just fine.

mintymint said:
I like to think that I can both hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. Pessimism is not for me, but I find that pragmatism and utilitarianism can work alongside a positive attitude just fine.

+1

If there is a happy between I want to know about it. God knows I need a happy medium. I hate always shielding myself from disappointment. Because it is ruining my life. However, I do not deal with disappointment well. I am already depressed enough, and my happiness is like a card house. It comes crashing down with the gentlest breeze.

life is getting old. i was sitting in my car earlier staring at the pond asking "him" to talk to me. ive asked "him" many times before. show "he" is real and tell me everything is fine. or just end it now and end me. im just so overwhelmed by my own thoughts and trying to figure out other people and how they think. i feel like im nothing and have failed thus far as a person. maybe its the mental abuse ive suffered in the past or what im doing to myself.

AFrozenSoul, I find what you typed to be very relative to me.

Latest posts

Back