Playing in the dirt

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been growing my own food in my back garden past couple of years.... got the red onion skills at level 99. grow a bit of everything...t's good, tastes wayyyyyy better than the plastic stuff you get out of big market chains.

Bob Arctor said:
I am not opposed to mud wrestling.

Intrigued! But, how do you think we can convince Jedi and Limlim to don mankinis?

Smokey said:
Been growing my own food in my back garden past couple of years.... got the red onion skills at level 99. grow a bit of everything...t's good, tastes wayyyyyy better than the plastic stuff you get out of big market chains.
OH, I *so* agree! I have been doing a garden of some variety for years and there is nothing like pulling some veggies right out of the garden and practically straight to the table. And, you can save a ton of money, too. I freeze a lot of my harvest, but this year one of my girlfriends will be showing me how to use the pressure canning method. I hope I don't screw it up and end up with a black eye from the lid popping off. :/

Did you get anything started in your zone yet this year? I brought home 18 veggie/fruit plants, 9 herbs, 30 annuals and 56 seed packets, so I've definitely got Spring Fever, lol.

Nah, I've got about another 3/4 weeks before I can start pulling from the garden. With the climate there is only certain times of the year i can get cranking.

Everything i want this summer was planted a while ago so hopefully I get a good one this year...

I do however grow herbs in doors.... got tons of herbs. Micro greens, basil you name it i got it.

That's awesome. We just had our last frost recently, so I'm in a bit of a rush to get these into the ground today and tomorrow. I'm adding corn this year, although, I've never had much luck with it before. Then the usual peppers, cucumbers, melon, strawberries, squash, zucchini, eggplant, okra, pole beans and radishes.

Plus, I was able to find organic San Marzano tomato seeds, so I'm stupid excited about canning those suckers later.

I love fresh herbs, grow all the basics and dry / jar them for later use, too. I found a fun little variety this year - Chocolate Mint! How cool is that? Smells exactly like a chocolate mint candy.

What veggies are you growing?

I grow wild strawberries in my garden for the birds. It's a little compromise i have with them... I have pa very delicate balance with nature going on in my set up, with the pay off for them being all the strawberries they desire.

MissGuided said:
Soooo, am I the only one who has an interest in flower or vegetable gardening around here? Anyone else perchance?

I love it too. I grew some mint, dill and chillis! But one day my mother discarded them just like that.. so that broke my heart and I never planted anymore. At least not until I have my own place. :)

MissGuided said:
^It would be impossible for me *not* to have faith in someone with such a spectacular beard, Jedi. I do believe Lim covets it, as well.

As requested....
photoapr07000032.jpg

MissGuided said:
blackdot said:
I love doing gardening.
Are you planting anything this year?

I grow things for nature. I grow things for bees. Things for caterpillars. Things for butterflies. Things for birds. Things for hummingbirds.

Ever since you mentioned this G. I've been imagining the smell of fresh turned dirt and the warmth of it on my hands....

I've gained access to a 15'x15' garden plot that hasn't been used for about five years, hope I get some warmer (and dryer) weather pretty quick....

Gardening tip....

If you've got some land that doesn't produce that well plant lots of turnips. Once they mature get a goat or two. Let them loose on the turnips and whatever else grew there for awhile. After they've grazed off all the turnips, etc. and fertilized the area get a rototiller and turn it all over (I suggest getting the goats out of there first, they're mean little b******s). Cover it with straw for the off season. When gardening time comes you should notice a huge difference in yield.

Rumour is elephant poop is the best garden fertilizer....just sayin'

^Wonderful advice, BC....got any goats you're not using, lol?

I picked up 10 more plants today - I am pretty sure I have overextended myself on this 'little' project.

MissGuided said:
^Wonderful advice, BC....got any goats you're not using, lol?

I picked up 10 more plants today - I am pretty sure I have overextended myself on this 'little' project.

The local Bargain Finder said these were free to a good home...
photoapr07133548.jpg

First baby tomatoes of the season starting to show themselves.....might be silly, but I'm sort of proud right now. :)

1stcherrytomatoes_zps00bdc085.jpg

Uh... Both, it looks like the entire thing is made of woodchips instead of dirt.

Limlim said:
Uh... Both, it looks like the entire thing is made of woodchips instead of dirt.

Ahh, Canadians - bless their hearts. The black is mulch, so woodchips was a good guess. The orange-y color underneath is what we affectionately refer to as, 'Georgia Red Clay'. Our soil is not typically 'fluffy' and 'loamy' like most dirt. It's very compact, very acidic and has a consistency similar to...well, clay. It also creates stains in your clothes that cannot be removed without an act of God. You have to mix other components with it like, peat moss, lime, organic compost, etc. to really have a successful garden. I wasn't as diligent this year, thus my excitement that something was actually bearing fruit.

The reddish color in the upper right is a fallen leaf from a nearby tree in the landscape.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I would, if I didn't have such a dirt phobia. I hate to get dirty, I'm constantly washing my hands.

I can understand that, Muse. It's not for everyone, but it's so cathartic for me - it's my 'zen', I guess. If you ever find that your desire to try it to be stronger than your dislike for dirt, let me know. I can give you some tips to avoid looking like you just climbed out of a ditch. :D

You know, I totally said that I wanted to start growing some sort of veggie. I really want to grow potatoes, however, they may not turn out like I'm thinking. So tomatoes, maybe? Anyone give me some tips on veggie growing?

Latest posts

Back