Playing in the dirt

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanillaCreme said:
You know, I totally said that I wanted to start growing some sort of veggie. I really want to grow potatoes, however, they may not turn out like I'm thinking. So tomatoes, maybe? Anyone give me some tips on veggie growing?

Absolutely, Nilla - I'll help in any way that I can. I've provided some links at the bottom of this post, should you decide that you wanna try out that green thumb. :p

The first thing I would suggest is that you find out your planting zone. If I remember correctly, you are in MS, which is likely similar to mine - zone 7-8. If so, tomatoes are definitely a good, hardy vegetable for you to plant. They mature in about 2 1/2 months and at this time of the season I would recommend that you pick up a starter plant, don't start from seed.

You also want to give some thought to what variety you want to grow, determine how much volume you need, e.g, whether you are planting for canning purposes or everyday eating or both, and make sure you have the space and either stakes or cages, depending on the variety chosen. You can probably still plant some bush beans, eggplant or okra now, too. Maturity time for those are similar to tomatoes, so again, buy plants, not seeds. Home Depot usually has a pretty good selection.

And, if you start now you can still plant potatoes for an early October harvest. Be sure to find seed potatoes, not the regular potatoes from the grocery store. Tractor Supply has carried them in the past or you can order them online. If you decide to try potatoes, be prepared, as I hear their 'care' can be a tad laborious. They like a very loose soil, which should be amended and compost used, where possible. There is hay/straw involved and continual 're-layering' as they start to sprout. If you want to try it, a friend gave me an interesting method using old tires (lol) that I would be happy to share.

You will be able to plant some other cold weather crops in another 4-6 weeks, like broccoli, lettuces, pumpkin, carrots, cabbage, etc. Since you are ahead of the game, you can start some of those from seed.

Personally, I find gardening very relaxing and rewarding. Gives me time to think and get away from the stresses of life for a bit, In turn, I get the satisfaction of yummy fresh veggies that aren't full of sketchy pesticides.

Hope that helps a little, but let me know if you have any questions. You can PM me, if you prefer.

Find Your Planting Zone
Home Gardening in Mississippi
GardenWeb forum

Today's haul - squash, zucchini, beans, bell peppers, cayenne peppers, banana peppers, tomatoes and a few pods of okra. I had already frozen two gallon-sized bags of beans and peppers last weekend, so it seems all this rain that I complained about was beneficial, after all. :D

And, I think I saw the beginning of an ear of corn. It would be the first ever that I have successfully grown, so...fingers crossed! *claps excitedly*

b062d7de-f3ed-4b68-a9e5-cc2522c0880d_zpsf915fc5b.jpg

I used to grow roses. When I was a kid, I always had to help in the garden. It was huge.
I don't mind the dirt so much....
It's the ******* BUGS I can't stand!!!!!!!! :club:

Limlim said:
Holy honeysuckle it's like free food that comes from the ground! :O

It's only so bountiful because of all the naked rain dancing I've been doing, Lim.

EveWasFramed said:
It's the ******* BUGS I can't stand!!!!!!!!

I am with you, Eve. I like 'manicured suburban' nature, I am terrified of 'scary woods' nature.

I love flowers and I would like to do some gardening but at the moment living in so small place without almost no garden... :/

ladyforsaken said:
^ Way to go, MissG! Also, those tomatoes look so yummy omg :O
Thank you, Lady. I had the absolute yummiest 'mater sammich for lunch today. :D

EveWasFramed said:
LOL!!! I'd pee my pants if that thing crawled on me!
You're bad, Minus!
Agreed. Icky bugs. Bad Minus.

lonelyfairy said:
I love flowers and I would like to do some gardening but at the moment living in so small place without almost no garden... :/
Have you tried container gardening? You can harvest a whole bunch of cherry tomatoes from one plant and they are pretty small and compact.

Runciter said:
Free food that requires no effort to grow. Yum.
Dare ya!

MissGuided said:
No need. I've eaten fried crickets, meal worms and even ant-lollies! Fried crickets were the best, quite nutty and crunchy. I could go on all day about the virtues of eating insects but I don't want to sidetrack a thread dedicated to such a noble pursuit. :)

Yeah I got some pepper plants, they do real good here. Tomatoes aren't bad but last year, bugs ate them up, so I didn't plant this year. What all do you stick in, penis enthusiast ?? Would you like help planting your garden ?

Alienated said:
Yeah I got some pepper plants, they do real good here. Tomatoes aren't bad but last year, bugs ate them up, so I didn't plant this year. What all do you stick in, penis enthusiast ?? Would you like help planting your garden ?

o_O

MissGuided said:
Icky bugs. Bad Minus.

I pout
2vkzr6s.jpg

I hope the preparation crisp up the meal worms. Seems a little mushy for my taste.

EveWasFramed said:
Something tells me that Miss G doesn't let just anyone plow her garden. :club:

Well I know from experience... you can't get the job, if you don't apply... And if she is a true penis enthusiast, as she says !! Well I got the enthusiastic penis, and right man for the job ! And this is a lonely forum, so I was just putting it out there is all !!

Latest posts

Back