Popular kids (product placement)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
People moan about ******* cigarette smoke bringing cancer, but the studies which should really be carried out would be on what capitalism does to the soul. Product placement won out, and we've now taken it from film sets to the streets, where your shoes are more likely to get you the Girl, and the band names you drop get you friends.

I hear people talk about "the Establishment" all the time. There is no establishment, there are just people with more friends than you. You fresia with Gordon Brown, one of his friends are likely to kill you. If there's a system out to get you, it's the people with loadsandloadsa friends in every school or university year. And they're the ones talking about the Establishment, of course; as people grow older they stop bullying the smaller kids and start bullying the government instead. And they call it 'idealism'.

fresia the popular kids: you can't have fifty meaningful relationships. They're turning friendship into a product; they're counting them up on their facebook and messenger accounts. I prefer loners. Sometimes I talk to the popular kids when they're outside smoking (because the concern for popularity exceeds that of cancer in them) and I think, 'I'm against you, ************ - each part of you. I'm against your products, your bands, and your band products, and everything that flows between.'

Money makes the world gose around..Of course youth or teen is the biggest consumer...and targeted.
Young people or teens are retarded and very impressionable. Their brain hasn't fully develope and
most are emotionally immature...
To keep people immature or stop growth...You just feed them fucken drugs and alcohol...makes
them retarded and slave to the fucken grind. Party on and be Cool, bitches...:p Fry those fucken brain cells.lol
Bling, bling your fucken ding..ding and there's plenty more of where that came from.lmao
Keep up the fucken Jones...and get a new unltimate plasma 80" flat screen...fresia it..just make the entire wall the screen..lmao
Establish your fucken credit for fresia sake...lol

They taught me that honeysuckle in my freashman class in HS...ffs.
In the USA. You're a consummer and tax payer.

As people get older, they learn that life is too fucken short to be worrying about a bonch of crap
and they don't need that honeysuckle.

Actally...I like that new 2009 camero that's due to be release. I want that honeysuckle !!! It's bitchen dudes..
I ma be the first som ***** to own that car on my block:p
It fullfills me and the meaning of it is..."fresia you all mother *******"...lol
Who the fresia wants to grow up...especially if you're fucken my age...lmao

The only thing the popular kids had were friends where I come from, most of them with too many and the relationships seemed quite absurd. Also, I like the loners and the weirdos, always have and always will. Why? Most of the time they have something more interesting and insightful to say, that is, if they ever do say anything to you.

Firstly, I don't really like the idea of comparing humans with animals (bad things await down that road). Secondly, I'd say that I'm the anonymous one - someone with hundreds of friends on facebook has most likely been browsed by thousands of people. They're like mini-celebrities. I'd say being popular means sacrificing your integrity though, because a big part of that mentality is picking on a chosen outcast (that is how many people bond) or at least associating with people who do that. Also it irritates me how product-driven popular people have to be, and how they form a perfect cog in our consumer society. Finally, I find that the sheer amount of their friendships distorts the meaning of what we call friendship, giving the whole thing a certain amount of consumerist cynicism. You know how on the Simms you go up to people and talk to them and see their like of you rise, then you go onto the next person? I'm pretty sure a lot of people think frienship really works this way.

little_buddha said:
Firstly, I don't really like the idea of comparing humans with animals (bad things await down that road). Secondly, I'd say that I'm the anonymous one - someone with hundreds of friends on facebook has most likely been browsed by thousands of people. They're like mini-celebrities. I'd say being popular means sacrificing your integrity though, because a big part of that mentality is picking on a chosen outcast (that is how many people bond) or at least associating with people who do that. Also it irritates me how product-driven popular people have to be, and how they form a perfect cog in our consumer society. Finally, I find that the sheer amount of their friendships distorts the meaning of what we call friendship, giving the whole thing a certain amount of consumerist cynicism. You know how on the Simms you go up to people and talk to them and see their like of you rise, then you go onto the next person? I'm pretty sure a lot of people think frienship really works this way.

1. What's wrong with comparing one animal to another?

2. The real problem I fear here is more the behavior that comes with the consumerist mentality in that we've stopped seeing people as the ends but more a means to an end. We use people and that's fine and dandy. It pervades every facet of modern society, it's not about the relationship and the other person it's about the orgasm and status they bring. It's not about enjoying someone's company it's the fact that knowing someone brings forth a social or material benefit, etc.

In all honesty I'd like to think there was some nice grand good old days that were somehow different, however all the retrospect is skewed by the idealism that the few who took the time to write down said history had. Like Sol in Soylent Green said "Aw, nuts. People were always rotten. But the world 'was' beautiful. "

Somewhere in this world a small group of people have found the perfect balance between community and individuality.

I've interacted with a few different counterculture groups in my 28 years, and there's always been an irony. A cultural movement forms with the intent of affirming the individual. More people join in, also hoping to be valued as individuals. The movement becomes a scene that's not just centered around music, but also clothing style, political attitude, drug use; whatever it may be. Eventually, in order to fit into the "counter" culture, you must wear the correct clothing, listen to the correct music, know the right slang terms, have the correct ideology, and otherwise put a whole lot of effort forth to modify your appearance to conform. Defeating the whole purpose of a counter culture.

I can't say that I ever stopped searching for a community within which I'd feel at home. But notions of popularity certainly died by the end of college. Eventually everyone goes their own direction. The popular people probably developed the social skills to keep some friendships alive. Guess I have to envy them in this.

Latest posts

Back