Procrastination

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke_S

Reaction score
There are things that need doing, or things that take longer than they should, I often find myself doing other things to deliberatley ignore something of greater importance because it takes it off my mind.

Its good to escape reality now and then by playing videogames, watching a film, whatever...but sometimes I think I do things just to escape who I am, and by escaping eventually find it difficult thinking through and coming to terms with necessary things.

I've been thinking, sometimes it's better to do nothing, and to just listen to your thoughts, than to push them aside...

I've been watching my thoughts lately, catching them head on, instead of brushing them under the mat, its difficult, but I can feel myself improving.

I'm working on cutting out things that I always knew were of small importance, such as randomly browsing the internet or youtube from time to time just from pure boredom, I'm working on filling this time with self-realisation and productivity.

I'm looking at time as something that may be non-existent, because I put things off due to time, time is what makes everything seem so important, because time is all we have, and it worries me that one day my time may be up.

I've been having sleepless nights thinking about what I should be doing, all the things that need to be done, all of what there is out there for me, and how I feel I need to act before its too late.

I feel a strong urge to do something greater than I've ever done before, maybe I've been waiting for the right time, but then again I don't think I ever will be ready so it may be worth just jumping in at the deep end...

yeah...luke

just know that you're not the only one...actaully a lot of people have procrastantion problems.
Your mind and body seek the path of least resistant or whats easiest.

I rather be mowing my yard in 110 degree heat than to go write my resume..
becuase the most important thing I'm suppost to do is write my resume...lmao

It just takes practice and a little bit of self discipline.

I used to make a list for my work and at home.

Making a list helps me a lot. It helped me cleared my mind.

However for a while...especailly at work.
I dreaded certain projects or contacting certain clients becuase of the difficulties.
I found myself stress and worried through out my days or work week.
I started praticing doing the hardest thing first..this way everything else is down hill after that.
It wasn't easy at first becuase I experinced fears and anxieties of having to inform my clients
or boss of the bad news or tackeling a project the was very difficult.
By being able to do that I knew I was capiable of accomplihing a lot.
Muilty million dallor contracts is always a challenge.

At the sametime ...my boss didn't give me all those responsiblities over night.
He gave me somthing he thought I would accomplish...howevre it was still a challenge for me.
I made mistakes ...lots and lots of mistakes...but they weren't million dallors mistakes.
I try to apply that same principle into my own life.

Luckiely there were a couple of men that came into my life that help me.
My football coach and my drill sargent....every once in a while ..thier vioce
will kick in my head and encourage me.

I also have a couple of sponsor today that will help me and encourage me.
For the most part I'm learning or applying self motivation and encouragement.

It dosn't happen over nite...
Just keep at it Luke.
It takes around 21 days to break habits..
Also in the process of trying to break our bad habits...we'll slip or slide back...that's okay.
Just encouage yourself to move forward.

You were born ready!

I keep a notepad on my desktop with a list of things that need to be done. And it definitely helps me get them done.

Back in school, when I had assignments I would leave it to the last minute and dad would help me. It is easier if it is something that interests you, and english assignments just wasn't my thing.
Now days, I am doing an Electrical Apprenticeship and I have more study now than ever before. I have laid down my rules, that I will study Mon, Tue if I have material. And if I need to put more time into it ill do it on a Thurs, this leaves Wed for Collage and a couple of hours after in the library to study with a mate who is also keen and wants to put the effort in. Always good to have some competition in tests! :D and leaves Fridays and weekends free. Which is a good compromise for me.

But I have to admit there is one thing I have been procrastinating. And that is my Skills-Tracker. Once a week I need to fill out a form and enter it online. This builds up and when I go to get my licence I have a record of what I have done. The first year I have skipped and this year I have done about the first 6 weeks, which leaves me with about 20-24 weeks of papers to fill out at about 30 mins each. I have decided I will do 4 a week until I catch up, which I have not started.
If I don't do it, I wont get my licence! :\

As for boredom, no one should ever say they are bored. I do find a lot of people who turn to the internet to defeat their boredom that I talk to and say they are bored. I tell them (now that I have learnt) that I will only put effort into a conversation if they are willing to contribute to. 1-way conversations SUCK!

You can do anything if you put yourself to it. And it sounds like your heading in the right direction. Keep up the excellent work and let us know how you are traveling!

Samuel

i have horrible anxiety about not doing the things i should be doing. i think its one of my worst emotional weights. and no matter what i do, i always feel it wasnt good enough, and that there is something more i should have done. its just horrible.

Latest posts

Back