Questions for the Men

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay lads, a question for the left side of your brain...

Would you change for the woman of your dreams, if she'd support you to change? Or are you stuck in your ways?

I always thought I'd rather be partnerless than change who I am as a person for any man... :cautious: But as I get older I think... well maybe I could stop my flirting addiction and concentrate more on being the ideal partner.
Both men and women change when they unite in marriage IF they want to have a successful marriage. I changed many things about myself just to make relationships work. It's about being willing to sacrifice to make the other person happy / comfortable. But, there is obviously a point where it becomes unbalanced. As much as I don't really want to work any more. If I some how ended up in a relationship with someone and she felt that I should work like she does and contribute then I would. But, it would have to be a job that I could tolerate not one that she would want me to have.

At this point I would have to change a lot about myself and I don't really feel like doing that. The woman of my dreams would be fantastic for about a month or so and then she would just become normal like everybody else. So, I would problem smile at the woman of my dreams, maybe even nod at her. But, then I would turn and walk away. Well, unless we are talking about Androids again. In that case I would sign up immediately and hand over my wallet. Because then I wouldn't need to change at all. That would be the absolute best!!!

Both men and women change when they unite in marriage IF they want to have a successful marriage. I changed many things about myself just to make relationships work. It's about being willing to sacrifice to make the other person happy / comfortable. But, there is obviously a point where it becomes unbalanced. As much as I don't really want to work any more. If I some how ended up in a relationship with someone and she felt that I should work like she does and contribute then I would. But, it would have to be a job that I could tolerate not one that she would want me to have.

At this point I would have to change a lot about myself and I don't really fell like doing that. The woman of my dreams would be fantastic for about a month or so and then she would just become normal like everybody else. So, I would problem smile at the woman of my dreams, maybe even nod at her. But, then I would turn and walk away. Well, unless we are talking about Androids again. In that case I would sign up immediately and hand over my wallet. Because then I wouldn't need to change at all. That would be the absolute best!!!
You are romance on a stick! Willing to sacrifice to make the other person happy... that nearly got me emotional, and no my mascara is not waterproof. You make me think of the "better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all" quote... Do you disagree with that quote?

You are romance on a stick! Willing to sacrifice to make the other person happy... that nearly got me emotional, and no my mascara is not waterproof. You make me think of the "better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all" quote... Do you disagree with that quote?
Don't worry I'll say something really stupid in a minute or two and then you won't be so emotional.

Yes. I agree. But, to a point, IMO, after each person we love and loose our intensity to love another is deminished. I think at this point I would love a woman about as much as I love food. It just isn't as special any more. But, at the same time we don't realize how much we loved that person until they are gone. It's all so **** complicated. Ha! ha!

Don't worry I'll say something really stupid in a minute or two and then you won't be so emotional.

Yes. I agree. But, to a point, IMO, after each person we love and loose our intensity to love another is deminished. I think at this point I would love a woman about as much as I love food. It just isn't as special any more. But, at the same time we don't realize how much we loved that person until they are gone. It's all so **** complicated. Ha! ha!
As much as food!! How many people have you loved? :oops:

Would you change for the woman of your dreams, if she'd support you to change? Or are you stuck in your ways?

I always thought I'd rather be partnerless than change who I am as a person for any man... :cautious: But as I get older I think... well maybe I could stop my flirting addiction and concentrate more on being the ideal partner.
If you change for someone, it ultimately won't work and won't last. You can change for someone, but it has to be for yourself, first and foremost, to be genuine. If we're talking about profond changes in one's core personnality. It also takes a very long time, years, sometimes decades.
If we're talking keeping the toilet seat cover down, that shouldn't be too hard.. Also, not everyone has the capacity, or even the deep will, to effect those types of changes. Sometimes, you can also do that and realise a long time latter that it was a wrong choice.

Ultimately, though, I'd rather someone who embraces me for who I am, rather than who she wants me to be. Because that's what I would do to her. If I start to want to change the person I fell in love with, I might wake up one morning next to a person I don't know, and don't love, anymore.

I think about 4 maybe. One I really loved. It seems like she took a big chunk of my love with her and I was never able to recover it.
Yes, those experiences can leave lasting scars. The first woman that I ever said "I think I love you" to openly answered with "oh well." Another woman who I had known for a number of months and started to fall for really surprised me. One evening, we were lying on the floor and I opened up and told her how I was starting to feel about her. She literally got up off the floor, walked out of the apartment and closed the door behind her without saying a word. I sat on the floor processing that one for a while. Apparently I had misread some signs. She didn't call me and I was terrified to call her. She never really explained it and we never really spent any more time together after that. Things seemed to have been going well up to that point. I won't go into my ex-wife, but the level of betrayal there reached lethal levels that took me a few years to get over.

There is one more utterly absurd story that would take too long to relate, but again I was pretty deeply in for someone and it blew up in my face. I can pretty much say that I loved all 4 of those women, but each experience, one after the other, did take bits and pieces of trust, care and hope out of me. It's harder to open up and love someone new after getting your emotions scraped across sandpaper 4 consecutive times. By the time I met my current wife I had given up, but she persisted in asking me out despite my resistance and for once everything worked out. No games, no guessing, no bizarre behavior. She just told me that she wanted to be more than friends and let me decide what to do next. We moved very slowly and all remains well. But I wish I had met her earlier in life when I was less jaded about relationships and didn't feel like an emotional scouring pad. I sometimes feel like those other 4 women took an unfair amount of my capacity to love out of me and my wife didn't get to fully experience that earlier me. In any case, we're okay now, so the story has a generally happy ending, at least.

If either of us have to change from what makes us characteristically who we are as individual people, I wouldn't want it. Of course if I find someone that I'm willing to be with I'm going to naturally change certain behaviors, but that's because me as a person in love is different than me as a person who is single.

That's actually the conflict that made me stop dating all together, as opposed to the run-of-the-mill dude that's upset because he got a couple bad eggs. My idea of myself in a relationship is 100% the opposite of my idea of myself while single. It's a bit fish-out-of-water.

If I tried to live both ways according to the differential factors of what my values are, it'd just fresia my life up chronically switching between the two. In fact I don't actually know anybody that's of that inner dualism to that level. That's the thing about getting older, eventually you lose the ability to have the energy you used to and you have to make harder, but smarter, decisions.

If I start to want to change the person I fell in love with, I might wake up one morning next to a person I don't know, and don't love, anymore.

This is next level, this actually opened my brown but contact lense covered blue eyes... I'm sitting here like, wow, he just hit the nail on the head, I think more men have experienced this than women (if im honest) that they make all the changes, wake up, and the woman is looking at him like... I miss the "old" you... 🙃 completely failing to understand she asked for this .. "new" him... this I have seen countless times.

It depends but some adjustments would have to happen. And of course I’d have to clean the kitchen floor, do the dishes daily and not have laundry scattered around the place.
I love how these are things you do in relationships and not just everyday 😅

This is next level, this actually opened my brown but contact lense covered blue eyes... I'm sitting here like, wow, he just hit the nail on the head, I think more men have experienced this than women (if im honest) that they make all the changes, wake up, and the woman is looking at him like... I miss the "old" you... 🙃 completely failing to understand she asked for this .. "new" him... this I have seen countless times.
That's part of the reason my bed has been empty for 15 years. Too many people out there try to appreciate what they want, instead of what they have. The woman of my dreams would know this, share this and enjoy me for who I am and wish to become. She'd also know and enjoy that I let her grow the same way and appreciate her more for this.

That's part of the reason my bed has been empty for 15 years. Too many people out there try to appreciate what they want, instead of what they have. The woman of my dreams would know this, share this and enjoy me for who I am and wish to become. She'd also know and enjoy that I let her grow the same way and appreciate her more for this.
15 years! omg, im sorry that sounds hard. But yes, people look at others a "opportunities" rather than who they actually are. I am even guilty of this, if I see a guy with "potential" I think, if only I could make him more... tough and sprinkle some "toxic masculinity" on him... but I started thinking, what if me changing him, just makes him resent me and never find someone that would love all of him... exactly how he is.

15 years! omg, im sorry that sounds hard. But yes, people look at others a "opportunities" rather than who they actually are. I am even guilty of this, if I see a guy with "potential" I think, if only I could make him more... tough and sprinkle some "toxic masculinity" on him... but I started thinking, what if me changing him, just makes him resent me and never find someone that would love all of him... exactly how he is.

Im curious, what do you mean by make him more tough and toxic masculine? I mean is the guy a soyboy? I can understand you wanting to toughen him up then. But is he just a regular guy that you want to be a some kind of biker dude or gangbanger?

Can I ask, do you think you try too hard to impress when in relationships ? Is that why theres such a huge gap between who you are, and who you are whilst dating?

No, actually it's because I have different standards for myself in a relationship than I do for myself when I'm single. Because I value the relationship. There isn't much that I value when I'm single, and that's why my behaviors change. I never really got into one night stands or flings. I think I had maybe one or two, just to have the experience. And what I got out of it is that it reduces the value of sex for me to a commodity of mediocrity, which is the exact opposite of what I try to achieve in a relationship, that is, something of substantial value in longevity.

But at the same time, it seems somewhat nonsensical for me to continually seriously investing into relationships just for a woman to monkey branch off on a quest to chase the fabled dragon. I don't knock it, I'm perhaps jaded from it, but I understand it for the nature that it is without it actually causing me discomfort. I can do poly or monogamous relationships, but it needs to be clearly established in the beginning what it is and it needs to stick to that adherence.

The collective quest to find "the one" to me, is like going to a car dealership and driving every car on the lot to find out which one you like the best, only to find out about 2 years later that it doesn't really matter which car you got, because the car salesmen is still a car salesmen nevertheless, and you were going to get jipped no matter which option you chose because that's the job of the salesmen. --Ironically, I hate sales because I'm in operations management, so sales managers pitch me an idea and I rebuttal with why it won't work when that idea is applied. 😂

So yes, I take relationships seriously, but also I don't have the bleeding heart adherence to the idea that love is this coveted special magical thing, either. The majority of that for me can be explained through neuroscience/biochemistry, and the complexities of the evolution of human psychology.

Do I like love? Yes, of course.
Is it something I can't live without? No.

I feel often like I owe it to my partner to put my best effort in, even if I know **** well that it's probably not going to work out for one reason or another. And the reason why I feel that way is because I understand the deep instinctual driving factors behind human behavior, which is really nothing more than just a collection of various different forms of instinctual fears that give rise to instinctual aspirations and actions.

I *can* be emotional if I chose to be, I'm traditionally a live musician, so that's innate in me, but I also understand that in order to survive in this world the way that I feel has to be put aside for higher logical deductive reasoning and rationale.

I don't go into poly relationships with emotional attachment invested beyond a certain point, because truthfully those are more just for fun for me than they are for commitment, and I don't go into monogamous relationships without the intent of trying to approach it emotionally from a traditional stance with a somewhat modified formality in that I'll likely be somewhat reserved until I've become comfortable enough to relax.

In short: I'm trying to live my life, not put people on pedestals and build egos, but have an actual, functional, stable lifestyle. Nor do I need my own ego built, because that's the quickest way for me to get thrown off of my focus on myself. And so that's why I don't really do power dynamics outside of the bedroom and why I'm kind of a hardass about it.

Im curious, what do you mean by make him more tough and toxic masculine? I mean is the guy a soyboy? I can understand you wanting to toughen him up then. But is he just a regular guy that you want to be a some kind of biker dude or gangbanger?

Lol honestly.... I will admit this... I looked up the term soyboy on google, there I said it. I feel so much more transparent now.

How to answer this, hmm, I think, unfortunately I attract men who... aren't "strong enough" to be with me. That is all I attract, I have different theories as to why this is... but I won't bore you with them lmao.

I don't want a biker dude, or a gang banger, I just want a guy thats mentally stable and not afraid to be masculine as thats what I'm attracted to. However, a lot of men have been force fed a lie that every woman wants a man who acts like a woman...I cant think of anything worse... for myself anyway.

Latest posts

Back