Questions for the Men

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I also think it's pretty corny but if I was in a silly mood I would do it just for that specific reason. Because it can be funny to suddenly act that way and have fun with it. :)

What I find funny isn't always what everyone else finds funny though. I wouldn't be surprised if most people just found that weird.

MisterLonely said:
This was such a sweet topic, and now we start to honeysuckle all over it ~~romantically~~

Right? It is quite sweet.
I find it beautiful when people open doors for their significant others.

kamya said:
Yeah I also think it's pretty corny but if I was in a silly mood I would do it just for that specific reason. Because it can be funny to suddenly act that way and have fun with it. :)

What I find funny isn't always what everyone else finds funny though. I wouldn't be surprised if most people just found that weird.

That sounds cute, Kamya.

DarkSelene said:
Do you guys feel good about holding doors open? Every time I do it, I feel very useful and people are nice to me.

I do, when it's convenient for me to. Like others have said, it's common courtesy. I'd like others to do that for me, and I wouldn't like it if people let doors slam in my face. I would also feel bad if I let a door slam in someone else's face too.

DarkSelene said:
P.s.: What about opening doors in ~~romantic~~ scenarios?

I wouldn't do that unless a level of trust had been built up. I feel like romantic gestures have fallen out of favor, unless you are very established with the person. I wouldn't do this on a date unless they insisted on it. It seems to me that what used to be seen as chivalrous is now seen as weak and "uncool", and I don't want that.

ardour said:
Looking like you're deliberately being chivalrous comes across as corny in 2017. And of course they'd be women who'd take offence due to political views.

Yeah, I agree. People just don't want chivalry or romanticism anymore. They only want to see displays of power, prestige, or entertainment, it seems. If you're nice, people just think it must be because you aren't strong and cunning enough to be a jerk. I wonder if the economy has anything to do with it sometimes, if it's created such a culture of business and competition that has seeped into every aspect of our lives. I'm not really bent out of shape so much about opening doors as much as I feel like this is just one tiny symptom of this culture of hostile cynicism that's been going on.

I usually open doors and am very chivalrous all the time. Until we go steady for a year, then I start closing doors in front of her face for kicks, telling her to get her own water and am generally unpleasant. But that's just because I'm an evil kid stuck in an adult body.

DarkSelene said:
That's mean, Richard

Wait till you see me run around in circles around her until she slaps me. Pure evil, I tell you.
;-)

Seriously though, I'm always chivalrous because that's the way I was raised, but I usually stops because eventually someone takes little attentions for granted and doesn't bother trying to give it back. Chivalry works both ways, we're not in 1600 anymore. I don't enjoy being taken for granted. It's something I never understood why people start doing it.

You sound too energetic, I'm already tired reading this. Hahaha

I think the worst thing is when people seem to completely forget who they are with and why just because they had a fight or something like that. The back and forth of affection and appreciation should continue.

DarkSelene said:
You sound too energetic, I'm already tired reading this. Hahaha

I'm just fooling around lol. Read about 2 posts above.
I think attentions run both ways. Ironically, I haven't experienced often. I dated a girl for 3 years, she made me supper ONCE. I cooked every night.
I never got why people figure it's okay to have such one sided relationships, or where many women got this notion to be pampered. My philosophy is pamper to BE pampered.

I see one sided relationships everywhere, I think lots of it come from the assumption that women are more valuable in society.

Its hard for someone like me to be pampered so I haven't experienced that.

Latest posts

Back