Questions for the Men

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, you can train a man to put the toilet seat down, it took my mom 15 years, but she did it to my dad.

But yes, love conquering all? Bullshite.

Never go into a relationship hoping to change the other person.

Yeah never enter a relationship thinking you are going to change someone. That is what the actual relationship is for. Well at least that is what I think most females think anyway.

Then again we have to ask are we only talking about personality flaws? What about asking someone to lose weight and get in shape? Is that not a change that would be a good thing in the long run?

And what if the person has put on weight due to medication? Or what if they have a condition that doesn't allow them to do much exercising?

But why would you be asking in the first place? Wouldn't you care about them no matter what?

It's not just a question of them being unattractive. It has to do with their health and well-being. I would argue that asking is caring. Neglecting the issue and ignoring it is not.

I think what AFrozenSoul is saying is that it is *because* you care about them that you feel they should lose weight. (I just noticed bookbinder has made this point ahead of me.) Other examples would be to ask your partner to stop smoking, or stop taking drugs, or stop drinking too much, etc. If you can see that these habits are having an unhealthy impact on them then you would want them to stop. Of course sometimes the situation isn't so clear cut - you wish the person you were dating would dress better, and you're sure it would benefit them to do so, but is it really a matter of self-destructive behaviour or just a matter of taste?

I've been in relationships where I've been pressured to make changes to myself. I think this is actually pretty normal, and initially I'm happy to try and accommodate the other person as much as possible without making too many demands of my own. The trouble is that there are some things you can't change about yourself without ceasing to be the person that you are. I believe it's very important that both partners try to figure out where these boundaries are drawn and try not cross them - otherwise what you're really saying is that you wish you were going out with someone else.

I think that unconditional love is ok... but it is also very detrimental to people. Weight lose for me would be a health and an apperance concern. There are some things that cannot be changed as well. But it never hurts to ask. It also never hurts for the person being asked to try. Personally I think that if you care about someone you would want to make yourself better.

AFrozenSoul said:
I think that unconditional love is ok... but it is also very detrimental to people.

My personal belief is that love is unconditional... relationships aren't.

AFrozenSoul said:
mintymint said:
My personal belief is that love is unconditional... relationships aren't.
So you love anyone and everyone without knowing who they are?

You'll have to explain to me how you got there :p

mintymint said:
You'll have to explain to me how you got there :p
Simple, I took the term unconditional as literally as I could. So to give a simple example, do people who love each other know each others name? There is a condition, does that person appear to bed happy, another condition. In the purest sense of the word for love to be unconditional you would have to love and support everyone.

Just playing semantics, plus if love was unconditional I would have had more than 1 experience with it.

u guys are funny as hell lmao. some very witty responses. i know when i ask a girl if her weekend is free, its generally just interest in what shes up to. when i date a girl with problems it usually starts out as a friend asking for help.. a girl will talk to me about her insane depression, or some other psychological issue she faces.. then we will talk more and more and she will "fall in love with me".. and this point im generally pretty close to her and we talk about everything, i may have developed feelings for her too, and then, we start dating.. thats how i end up dating a girl with issues. although i must admit, a girl who always wants to cuddle is welcome here.. i must be honest and say that sometimes the oversexual relationship or the relationship with a girl who will defend you till every drop of blood has left her body can be kind of fun and make you feel important.. awefully selfish of me... hmm... *starts feeling self loathing*

Latest posts

Back