Quoits

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sad sack

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here ever heard of a game called quoits? Didn't think so. It's almost unknown in the U.S. outside parts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I *think* it's still played somewhat in England, although I may be wrong about that.

Anyway, quoits is like horseshoes, only they're round, which makes it much harder to play than it's more popular (but far inferior) cousin.

I purchased a set of quoits about a fortnight ago in Ephrata, PA (aka Amish country). I had a set once before but this hooligan we'll call "Jeff" abducted them from me several years ago.

Today, I played my first quoits match in years. I like to go to this park on Sundays to walk through the trails. Today, instead of taking my usual walk, I played a riproaring round of quoits instead. In an epic battle, I was able to defeat my brother by a score of 22-18, winning the game with a fabulous ringer (my second of the contest) .

I want to try playing every weekend. It's a fun activity that doesn't take up too much energy, or cause one to get too hot. (I hate hot weather) Hopefully, I'll be able to get the few acquaintances I have (3 in number) interested enough to at least play every once in a while.

Quoits was once as popular as horseshoes in America. It wasn't until the 1920s that the inferior game rose in popularity. Quoits is a game steeped in tradition. It dates all the way back to ancient Greece. The Romans played it as well. It spread to England by the 1300's. There is mention of the game being banned there by Edward III in the 1360's. I reckon Ol' Eddie must've been a horseshoes kinda guy :p

Although I'd like to play at least a game a week, I have bigger plans. I'd like to emulate the great quoitists of yore. I know my hopeful quoit enthusiasts will never go along with this (and goofy ideas like this one are why I'm always alone :p), but I plan on pitching quoits dressed in the garb of elder days. A periwig or tri-cornered hat, colonial jacket and knickerbockers, buckled shoes, and the aloof manner of the noblemen of olden times; this is the attire and the attitude of the true quoit enthusiast. Perhaps I will be adorned with a monocle as well. In between matches, I believe one should smoke a pipe. Quoits should be a dignified game. A game for ladies and gentlemen to play with dignity. One with sportsmanship and refinement.

That is quoits, and those are my plans for reviving a great game of days gone by. Would anywhere care to join in my quoits revival?

Latest posts

Back