Random Observations, Thoughts, And Dumb Questions Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it with this garbage Skype? What the hell is so wrong with text chat any more? ******* Skype!

The accepted rate of acceleration of gravity in physics is 9.81 m/s². At what altitude (or rather, what distance from the center of the Earth) was that established? At what point does that number begin to fall to near-zero? I'm not super scientifically gifted and I've only made it past a remedial level of physics in school, but I wonder this anyway.

Imagine you're standing on a bridge over a railway line and there are 5 people beneath you working on that line. You see a runaway cart hurtling down the line towards the 5 people and when it hits them it will kill all 5. Stood next to you on the bridge is a man so large that, were you to push him off the bridge, he'd land on the track and stop the cart from killing those 5 people, but he himself would be killed. Do you push him?.
This is just one of many 'thought' experiments' out there - a tool often used in philosophy.

Scotsman said:
Imagine you're standing on a bridge over a railway line and there are 5 people beneath you working on that line. You see a runaway cart hurtling down the line towards the 5 people and when it hits them it will kill all 5. Stood next to you on the bridge is a man so large that, were you to push him off the bridge, he'd land on the track and stop the cart from killing those 5 people, but he himself would be killed. Do you push him?.
This is just one of many 'thought' experiments' out there - a tool often used in philosophy.

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=25866

9006 said:
What is it with this garbage Skype? What the hell is so wrong with text chat any more? ******* Skype!

LOL...always hating on poor lil' ole Skype. You're so mean.

9006 said:
Give me a reason not to :)

Haha! I don't know what to tell ya, dude. Skype's always been nice to me.

Maybe Skype just doesn't like you 'cause you talk honeysuckle about it behind its back. :p

Dissident said:
The accepted rate of acceleration of gravity in physics is 9.81 m/s². At what altitude (or rather, what distance from the center of the Earth) was that established? At what point does that number begin to fall to near-zero? I'm not super scientifically gifted and I've only made it past a remedial level of physics in school, but I wonder this anyway.

At sea level
Gravitational force is inversely proportional to r squared, so at approximately 200,000 km from the center of earth, the acceleration will be 0.01 m/s2. Ignoring the moon and all that

Scotsman said:

Not immediately. If I had sufficient time to think and act, I would push him.

MissGuided said:
9006 said:
Give me a reason not to :)

Haha! I don't know what to tell ya, dude. Skype's always been nice to me.

Maybe Skype just doesn't like you 'cause you talk honeysuckle about it behind its back. :p

Agreed. Skype is so awesome.

perfanoff said:

It's that awesome, you can't even change your chat font. It's too focused on video and voice calling, this is not something I'm interested in, and this is the problem with forcing WLM users to "upgrade" to this.

Have you been eating a popsicle only to get half way down and it a piece breaks off and lands on your lap or the floor? Frustrating indeed.

9006 said:
perfanoff said:

It's that awesome, you can't even change your chat font. It's too focused on video and voice calling, this is not something I'm interested in, and this is the problem with forcing WLM users to "upgrade" to this.

chat and fonts are overrated

perfanoff said:
chat and fonts are overrated

Maybe so, but you're on a forum, where chat is inevitable, along with fonts to be able to see what the hell people are saying.

I should have read through the thread to ensure no one else said the following: why in the "hades" is underwear white? It should have been black by default. At least now, you can purchase colored underwear; but back in the day, you could not.

perfanoff said:
linguistics

profile_picture_by_magness_makoyana-d60hymy.png

Do you think that retired boxers such as George Foremen and Mike Tyson still have the punching power to kill a normal person? Or are they too "Over The Hill"?

Is it me or are we missing a few pages from this thread?

If you run in a circle really really fast, as in light-speed fast, will you be able to tap yourself at the back, and if you look behind you, you can see yourself tapping your back?

Latest posts

Back