Random Observations, Thoughts, And Dumb Questions Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonYells said:
If you run in a circle really really fast, as in light-speed fast, will you be able to tap yourself at the back, and if you look behind you, you can see yourself tapping your back?

This is impossible, but even if it were since your body is made of different particles, they'd be spread out all over the place, you'd quite literally disintegrate, you wouldn't have a body to speak of.

Now to my observation: Has anyone else noticed how iTunes has got progressively bigger? It's almost 100MB now! Pfft, just like any other peaces of honeysuckle software, starts off small and neat, ends up big an bulky with many features nobody even uses.

I'm watching the movie "Platoon" and I'm curious about something. Say a military person is out on a weekend leave, goes to a bar and commits a crime. Who charges the soldier? The civilian court or military?

Has anyone ever seen the movie "Happiness"? I was floored. That is one raunchy movie, but intriguing as hell. It would be pretty inappropriate to tell how gross the ending was. What a frickin' odd film that was.

I wonder if F1 drivers get cheaper insurance and if so, by how much?

5071b7afed8cc_zpsfaa35202.jpeg

9006 said:
I wonder if F1 drivers get cheaper insurance and if so, by how much?

The FIA makes a profit in the business of Super Licence by making it mandatory for the licence-holder to pay an annual fee. According to a report on the BBC, the cost of a super-licence rose by an average £8,700 in 2009, and there was an extra charge of € 2,100 per point earned in 2008 - up from €447 per point in 2007. In 2010, Lewis Hamilton would pay £242,000 for his licence for the season.

Reducing the cost of the Super Licence represented a significant policy shift for FIA's then-president Max Mosley, who wrote to Formula 1 drivers in February 2009 suggesting that they "race elsewhere if they were unable to pay for their super-licences." After Mosley met with representatives from the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) on March 23, 2009, the FIA issued a statement: "Following a very positive meeting between FIA President Max Mosley and representatives of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA), a proposal will be made to the World Motor Sport Council to revise super-licence fees for drivers in the 2010 championship".

In November 2012, however, FIA announced they would again increase the cost of the super licence. According to McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh, the proposed increase would lead to a basic fee of €10,000 ($12,800) for the super licence plus €1,000 ($1,280) for each world championship point. 2009 Formula 1 World Driver's Champion Jenson Button objected, and expressed his position that all current F1 drivers should pay the same flat fee for their Super Licence:

Personally I don't feel that we should be paying different super licence fees for different drivers and different point situations. I mean, when you get your licence to drive on the road, because you do more miles you don't pay more for it, do you? And you don't pay more for a licence in any other category because you've got a better car or whatever, so it should be a flat fee.

In 2009, Button's total super-licensing costs were approximately €1M ($1.28M).

So... well maybe, but the super licence will wipe any savings out! :D

It had always bothered me that peanuts were called peanuts, I knew peanuts grew underground, and I thought they were tubers. So they should be called pea tubers. Well something didn't quite feel right, so after years of having this theory, I finally began research, and found out peanuts, were not tubers at all, because the stem of the peanut starts above ground and then grows underground. They are instead a legume.
What I learned from this, no matter what they are, they sure taste good, and you can't really make ants on a log without it.

Garbageman said:
It had always bothered me that peanuts were called peanuts, I knew peanuts grew underground, and I thought they were tubers. So they should be called pea tubers. Well something didn't quite feel right, so after years of having this theory, I finally began research, and found out peanuts, were not tubers at all, because the stem of the peanut starts above ground and then grows underground. They are instead a legume.
What I learned from this, no matter what they are, they sure taste good, and you can't really make ants on a log without it.
I love peanuts!

Einstein theorized that if you traveled faster than the speed of light, you would travel back in time.

So if you traveled back before you left, and didn't leave... then did you ever leave at all ??

If you received a testicle transplant, and you fathered a child.... Who's DNA would the child have ?

Travelling "back" in time isn't exactly that. According to new theories (I'm just picking one) you travel through dimensions and will ultimately end up in another, weather that's an extension from your primary one is almost impossible to predict! So if you end up in another dimension you wouldn't be travelling back before you set off.

I'm not sure about the testicle thing, I know they don't do such transplants. Your testicles produce more than just sperm and I don't think your immune system would be so welcoming. Perhaps it would be a bit of both since they're just the "factory", it still have to take things from your own body in order to produce.

Current estimates are that our sun will run out of hydrogen to burn in about five million years. Coming up to that point, the sun may expand into a "red giant", at which point Mercury will be absorbed. Venus would be cooked & then absorbed. Whether the sun would absorb Earth or not depends on how large it would grow as a red giant. What is beyond dispute is that as the sun expands, temperatures on Earth would rise as a matter of course. The ozone layer (if any is left by then) will dissolve. Plants would wilt & die. The seas will boil away. Life on Earth will be impossible by that point.

MTrip said:
If you travel faster than light, you would possibly cease to exist as a physical entity. Your very atoms would fly apart & you would become pure energy. Not a bad way to go...

The amount or energy to exceed the speed of light would create a singularity before this anyway.

MTrip said:
Current estimates are that our sun will run out of hydrogen to burn in about five million years. Coming up to that point, the sun may expand into a "red giant", at which point Mercury will be absorbed. Venus would be cooked & then absorbed. Whether the sun would absorb Earth or not depends on how large it would grow as a red giant. What is beyond dispute is that as the sun expands, temperatures on Earth would rise as a matter of course. The ozone layer (if any is left by then) will dissolve. Plants would wilt & die. The seas will boil away. Life on Earth will be impossible by that point.

Yes, but random.

Alienated said:
So what about this...

If you received a testicle transplant, and you fathered a child.... Who's DNA would the child have ?

I'm assuming in this situation you somehow don't have testicles, and then get 1 from a donor. So in this situation, the child would have 50% of their DNA from the original owner of that testicle :) And the other 50% of their DNA from the child's mother of course :)

Latest posts

Back