Rat-eating plant discovered in Phillipines.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great plant but i wants some movement as in a Venus Flytrap.

That's amazing plant. It should be planted on farms to protect various fruits and we don not need some pesticides to kill them. Rats and insects are harmful to most plants. I think that discovery is a breakthrough. We could use that plant as a replacement to the hazardous pesticides that was used by farmers.

hey that's a great idea crystal i never thought of using carnivorous plants for protecting crops before

those kind of plants are so cool

i feel a little bad for the little mice though

:(

Well, trouble with that is you would need to also plant ones that would eat insects, and I imagine not all insects are attracted to the odor of the fly traps and such...

I dunno. Something to look in to, maybe...or just develop/use organic pesticides and repelents.

I guess a big part of the problem is the practice of growing huge tracts of the same crop. According to some things I've read, that allows large infestations of the insects and diseases that prey on said plant species, as opposed to a more diversified crop.

Brian said:
Well, trouble with that is you would need to also plant ones that would eat insects, and I imagine not all insects are attracted to the odor of the fly traps and such...

I dunno. Something to look in to, maybe...or just develop/use organic pesticides and repelents.

I guess a big part of the problem is the practice of growing huge tracts of the same crop. According to some things I've read, that allows large infestations of the insects and diseases that prey on said plant species, as opposed to a more diversified crop.

Now we just need to discover a new plant that eats lazy people :p

Yeah and blastoise would probably just make it grow.

Oh yay now we're on Pokemon! I own this subject! :D Anyway, I think any plant that does something other than lean into the sun the entire day is pretty awesome, so, props to the carnivorous plant.

Yeah those plants are cool. They are called nepenthes or tropical pitcher plants. Though it's a great idea, they probably wouldnt be too good to use for rodent/insect control in farms or gardens becasue they need a lot more humididty to thrive than typical crops and garden plants like.

Check out this monster!

pitcher-hur.jpg

The plant's pretty creepy too!

Just kidding, I dont even know that guy. But seriously, that one could probably catch a whole family of rats!

If any of you are interested in carnivorous plants (it's actually quite a fun and interesting hobby) check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Garden...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250737873&sr=8-7

I own a copy and it's great. Here are a couple more pictures of a couple of my favorites...

c-na.jpg

N_bicalcarata_upper_JF.jpg

drosera_intermedia.jpg

I had a fly trap when I was a kid. I always thought it would be sort of cool to build a terrarium and raise some different types. They certainly are fascinating.

Do you grow any, F.E.D.?

I'm quite interested on that plant and I want to know its other features. I see a big rat running on our floor that also destroys some of our things like clothes and utensils etc... I'm thinking if that could be stored in a house with humid temperature. I'll use that plant instead of a rat killer products. lol

FearEmptinessDespair said:
Yeah those plants are cool. They are called nepenthes or tropical pitcher plants. Though it's a great idea, they probably wouldnt be too good to use for rodent/insect control in farms or gardens becasue they need a lot more humididty to thrive than typical crops and garden plants like.

Check out this monster!

pitcher-hur.jpg

The plant's pretty creepy too!

LMAO! :p

Brian said:
I had a fly trap when I was a kid. I always thought it would be sort of cool to build a terrarium and raise some different types. They certainly are fascinating.

Do you grow any, F.E.D.?

I have in the past. They start doing good then I get lazy with them and forget to water or feed and they die on me. I will try again once my terrarium is finished and the misting system works (it's automated so I wont have to remember to water! :) )

Here's some pics of what I had for a while...
http://imageevent.com/audiomaster/carnivorousplantvivarium?rotp=7542&

I didn't know that there are carnivorous plants. Where is their mouth? lol? It's almost like a monster plant but if we take a look at it, we can use their bad features or characteristics in a good way like the plant could be used to as a natural insecticide/pesticide. It's cheaper and was done naturally. Our ecosystem is balanced by having a prey and predator relationship which the predator only kills those harmful prey.

crystal said:
I didn't know that there are carnivorous plants. Where is their mouth? lol? It's almost like a monster plant but if we take a look at it, we can use their bad features or characteristics in a good way like the plant could be used to as a natural insecticide/pesticide. It's cheaper and was done naturally. Our ecosystem is balanced by having a prey and predator relationship which the predator only kills those harmful prey.

Haha, guess with pitcher plants the mouth would be the opening in the plant where the insects/rats/people fall in...with venus fly traps it would be the "pouch" that closes around its prey when it's triggered, and sundews and butterworts/bladderworts dont really have "mouths" because their prey just gets trapped on the sticky outsides of the plant (kind of like a spider web) and get digested on the spot; their nutrients going straight into the plant.

May be a crappy death, but if I was a bug Id choose that over being sprayed with pesticides, or if I was the rat, choose it over being killed with poisons that rot my insides, or starving to death on a glue trap.

You're absolutely right, Crystal, about there being a ballance in our ecosystem with a preadator/prey relationship, however I do not believe that any organism (plant or animal) has bad characteristics. Everything is here for a purpose. And in fact, harsh as this may sound, I believe we (humans) are the only creatures on Earth who are harmful to that ballance. Actually that must be a scientifically-known fact by now.

Intellegence has come at a cost to our delicately-ballanced planet and it's billions of inter-connected life forms. At least we are aware of that fact now, and it seems like we're doing more and more each day to help, which is good. I only hope we havent already taken things too far...

crystal said:
Our ecosystem is balanced by having a prey and predator relationship which the predator only kills those harmful prey.

This statement is ironic if you believe what I said. We're the only truly harmful creatures on Earth, and yet we have no predators. Except ourselves of course. Just something to think about.

Arguments?

Agreements?

I'm just wondering that, that kind of plant is carnivorous when animals that eats them is called herbivores. Wow, a carnivorous herb. That's a miracle for me. hehehe

Well, thanks for that information FearEmptinessDespair. If I were a rat, I won't slide myself in that monster but I'll just commit suicide by eating racumin. I want to die eating rather than I was the one that is eaten. lol.

Ecosystem is like life. Our population is balanced by deaths which also equates to every newborn that is adding the population. The world can't occupy us all if all of us lived in the planet

Latest posts

Back