Rather Surreal and Confusing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jean-vic

Reaction score
I was at work the other day, minding my own business at my till/checkout (or other regional variant of the same) when a girl was put on the till opposite. We've been paired up before and had a laugh, but that was about it. It was no different this time. Having a laugh and generally just getting on.

About half way through the shift, though, she gets my attention and asks: "Are you free tonight?" Now, that struck me. In my experience, you ask that question if you are intending or hoping to do something with that person. For example, I will ask my mates if they're free if I fancy going to the pub. Anyway, I said I was free and asked her why. She then said, "There's a great band playing at The Venue, tonight. You should go." A customer came to me at this point so we couldn't finish, but it played on my mind.

When my next break came, I went to her till and said, "Yes, I'm free tonight. Why?" She repeated the line about the band, to which I asked who I was supposed to go with. She then replied, "I get off at 10." I tried to say something but she interrupted to me to say, "Take your missus/Mrs." I told her I was single. She replied, "Oh. I thought you had a girlfriend, for some reason. Go with your mates." I said my mates wouldn't want to go that far out for a band. I then asked, "Do you want to go?" to which she replied, "I'm already going with a lad, I think." I just said, "Oh well", made a joke about watching crap tv at home and left it at that.

It really has been confusing me, though. The phraseology she used, the questions that seemed as if they were intended to fish for answers, particularly the girlfriend one. I asked someone else about it and they admitted it was strange.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Sounds like she might have been interested with you, but since she had made an incorrect assumption, she made plans with someone else already.

That.....is very weird.... I'd would agree wh above posted but how come it sounded like she volunteered herself (gets off at 10) right before that?? Yeah idk. Head games? lol

IgnoredOne said:
Sounds like she might have been interested with you, but since she had made an incorrect assumption, she made plans with someone else already.

Thanks for replying, but about what did she made an incorrect assumption? Also, she changed her mind to going with someone else already during the same conversation, which made me wonder why she asked in the first place.

Okiedokes said:
That.....is very weird.... I'd would agree wh above posted but how come it sounded like she volunteered herself (gets off at 10) right before that?? Yeah idk. Head games? lol

Exactly. Though, she doesn't seem like the head game type... says the Jew voting for Hitler. Confused.com.

o_0

Yeah, that really is weird.

Maybe she got the courage to ask you, then sort of got shy and backed out? Though if that was the case, I don't understand why she'd say she was going with another guy.

Perhaps she asked if you'd like to go with your "partner" to find out if you're single?

Alternatively, she could just be promoting that band. Bands frequently get people to do that sort of thing.

Very odd indeed though.

She thought that you had a g/f, but she might still be interesting in asking you to see what you were doing. People are not always consistent, I'll leave it at that.

lol @ the vid jjam.

Honestly jean-vic that sucks.
Seems like she just wonted another person there to see with the lad she was going with.
Or she might had just been trying to make convo. Or she might have some feelings for you.
I think maybe she seems friendly so just be the same back. You might with some luck find out where she was coming from with that.
But yea that would of confused me as well. I would be like the vid lol WTF

Am I the only one who just thought she figured him and the gf she thought he had would be interested in that particular concert and was interested in discussing it as opposed to asking him out on a date? :p

I've done the same thing before. Falsely interpreting, "Are you free? You should come do this thing tonight." as a sign of interest. I dunno dood it sounds kind of confusing to me too. Maybe she just wanted you to have some fun or get to know you better.

At least I'm not the only one confused by what she said.

I don't know how to proceed. I mean, it would be nice if she was interested and I wouldn't want to miss any opportunity, but I also don't want to rush in to find out it wasn't meant to be anything but platonic.

Thanks for all the replies to the original query. Quick update, that girl doesn't seem to be interested. Obviously just asks questions in a strange way.

I have another question, though. This one is not stemming from a surreal or confusing situation. Just don't want to clog up the board with more threads.

Ok, so a friend of mine knows a girl as she has had a complicated friends with benefits relationship with his neighbour. She's now single. I've only met her 3 times and each time was brief. She added me on Facebook after the second meeting at her FWB's birthday party at his house. We met in town on separate nights out (he'd moved down south at this point so there's no more benefit) and talked for about 20 minutes. Since then, she talks to me quite frequently on Facebook. She always starts the conversation (people don't really talk to me on Facebook as I either text my male friends or we're just not close enough. Needless to say, girls don't talk to me on there, especially not girls who are relative strangers). Anyway, we were chatting away tonight and she asked me if I enjoyed my night out this weekend just gone. I said I did, but noticed she wasn't there even though her friends were. She replied, "ooo noticed did you?". I didn't say anything (I'm shy and a bit wary of what to say to such remarks). We carried on talking and she asked me why I live out of town during the week (I live in a City called Preston midweek and live in the neighbouring town blackpool over the weekend because I work there. She lives in Blackpool). After I explained, she just said, "I go out in Preston a bittt :)". I said that when she is next in Preston she should let me know because I may be around. She just replied "ooolala".

Two female friends of mine believe she is interested. One says to ask her out, the other says to not read too much and just go with the flow and see what happens.

Thoughts? An interested girl or just an innocent statement?

I'm siding with your second friend. Try not to read too much. So far it's just been a little flirting. Don't get too worked up and nervous yet.

jean-vic said:
Thank you for the reply. At least one person took the time. (Now I remember why I left this site.) Thank you, again, kind sir.

I'm sorry, I missed your post first time around. I'm not sure responding like that is going to endear anyone to anyone to answering your further queries though :\

EDIT - Oh, and if you're interested, I'd say she was just making chit-chat.

TheSolitaryMan said:
jean-vic said:
Thank you for the reply. At least one person took the time. (Now I remember why I left this site.) Thank you, again, kind sir.

I'm sorry, I missed your post first time around. I'm not sure responding like that is going to endear anyone to anyone to answering your further queries though :\

EDIT - Oh, and if you're interested, I'd say she was just making chit-chat.

I don't mind endearing them. I don't come here often. Just the odd tidbit of advice every now and then is all I ask.

Thanks for the reply, though. Appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back