Regarding the Diaries board

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinisterplague

Reaction score
If no one will comment, how will the poster know anybody has read it, or if anyone even cares enough to read it?

sinisterplague said:
If no one will comment, how will the poster know anybody has read it, or if anyone even cares enough to read it?

Honey, it's not matter of "won't comment." The Diary section doesnt allow for posters to comment. If you want comments, you'd need to place your thread in another area of the forum.

I hope this helps...

I'm a mod, which is why I can post there btw lol

EveWasFramed said:
sinisterplague said:

Honey, it's not matter of "won't comment." The Diary section doesnt allow for posters to comment. If you want comments, you'd need to place your thread in another area of the forum.

I hope this helps...

What if I would like to post my diary yet see comments? Can't exactly post it elswhere, people would be like "this ain't the ******* diary section! we don't wanna hear it!"

There is an Express Yourself section, as well as a MISC. section. :)

EDIT: I'm going to do some research and see about opening this section for replies. No promises, but I'll look into it.

sinisterplague said:
EveWasFramed said:
sinisterplague said:

I hope this helps...

What if I would like to post my diary yet see comments? Can't exactly post it elswhere, people would be like "this ain't the ******* diary section! we don't wanna hear it!"

The diary was originally created to allow people to post their own diary entries without fear that someone would pass comment on them. While currently the nature of the diary section is under discussion, posting in General Chat or Issues has always been the practice if you wish to draw comments from people.

One thing I noticed about the diary section is that you can't comment on your own thread and you can only edit a post for so long. This means that you can't make one thread your diary. If you want an active diary you have to make multiple threads. I don't like that. :p

About comments-

It'd be cool if the person creating the thread could choose to enable or disable comments, but I don't know if this forum's software can allow that.

Unfortunately we can't do that; forum permissions are set by individual forum. I realise that creating multiple threads is hardly ideal.

What would other people like? Replies or no replies?

Coincidentally, if the diary were to be changed to allow comments, then all existing diary entries (unless the thread creator requests otherwise) could be closed.

Well, there have been times when I wanted to respond to a diary...but I also just sort of assumed that the diary section was the way it is to allow complete freedom for those wishing to post their thoughts without interruption or comment.

To be honest, though, I rarely ever venture into the diaries section...so whatever you guys work out is fine with me.

----Steve

Steel said:
Unfortunately we can't do that; forum permissions are set by individual forum. I realise that creating multiple threads is hardly ideal.

That's too bad... I like that there is a place where you can post without replies/comments. And I think the express yourself area is quite well suited for people who want feedback. I don't know if it needs to be more complicated than that. Whatever the solution, I just prefer having both options available.

Steel said:

What would other people like? Replies or no replies?

Coincidentally, if the diary were to be changed to allow comments, then all existing diary entries (unless the thread creator requests otherwise) could be closed.

my two cents steel.

i would like to keep comments disallowed. i understand the forum permissions thing too. isn't that fun? :D

It may be more trouble than it's worth, but perhaps we could CLOSE any person's thread that didnt want any comments? It's not like the Diary section is used that often anyways. That way, if you don't want any comments posted, you don't have to have them. Only bad thing with that is, YOU cant add to your thread either. :p

How about you create two different diary sections. One that has comments enabled and one disabled. Then you could choose which one you wanted to create a diary entry in.

In a perfect world, that would be possible...but I don't know if mods can do that. Bjarne might be the only one who could do that sort of thing. PM him and hope he comes around again. :p

----Steve

I agree with the OP - the fact of the matter is that while everyone could create individual posts for every issue, most people don't - imagine creating a thread for every single thing you wanted feedback on. The cold reality is that you wouldn't, and most people don't.

Having comments enabled would mean people won't have to worry about creating a whole new thread - they'd probably be much more open to posting about their issues. We've done this on my forum to great success.

Latest posts

Back