Relaxation response

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayingSolo

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully developed a relaxation response? The book I'm reading strongly suggested that I develop one. So I just tried for the first time, and it was really peaceful just sitting there and not really worrying about anything. I'm not really sure if I'm doing it correctly, but what the book suggested that I just pick a focus word (I chose "relax") and just focused on it and relaxed my body. I do have a question, but feel free to post your methods, how well they work, how you feel after, etc etc, as well as any suggestions.

Here's my question: while I was doing this, about half way into it I started feeling this tingling sensation in different parts of my body, and after a while it spread to every inch of my body. It felt kind of like my whole body was going numb. I have felt this sensation before from just lying as still as I possibly can in bed. But I was wondering if this could have anything to do with the relaxation response? Does that mean I was doing it right? Or maybe wrong? Or something else entirely? My physical body didn't feel much different or relaxed afterwards, but it was really peaceful and calming just lying there for a while. My mind wandered quite a bit but the book says that's normal when you're first learning how to do it.

You've hit upon the power of our minds. I am reading a little idiots book on short meditations. It's all about using the mind to be happier, feel more peaceful and serene, feel more joy, etc.

It's all about imagination and visualization. You have hit upon it.

Hmm, so I was doing it right? Interesting. I find it kind of weird cause like I said that's happened to me before when I'm just lying still and not trying to relax at all.

Latest posts

Back