Single occupancy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grackle

Reaction score
Do you find that being a single person is expensive especially when it comes to rent.
I want to move somewhere nicer but I can't because its too darn expensive but if I had a partner (or second income) I would have a better chance at renting a nice place. I've lived in so many basement suites and crapy 1 bedroom apts that I'm sick of it. I want to live in a nice place and I'm also sick of room mates because they are always so inconsiderate.
Anyways, this is just a little rant about how expensive it is to be single in a world built for two.

Don't knock it too much, I live in an RV but pay for 2+ to live somewhere nice. It's really ******* expensive to live that way.

Grackle, I hear you man. I don't know what I'm going to do once I am ready to move out around here. Rent is really pricey where I live (high taxes), and all my friends who live around here have girlfriends that they live with already. I have a brother who will probably move out once he finishes school but he'll probably want to live with his friends. There really isn't anyone for me to move in with, and I don't want to move into someplace where I feel that either me or my possessions will be unsafe.

Hi Grackle, I am not sure what the answer is to your dilemma but thought I would write to give you some moral support.
Is there any way you could get a second income, maybe work a couple of evenings a week or online for some hours a week, which would give you enough for somewhere decent?

On the whole it's more expensive, if you live with your partner here you have to pay more 'pole tax' but it's still cheaper than on your own since you'd half everything... or at least compromise.

Thanks for the moral support Tiina, definitely need that.
Fishie and Wilderness, I'm spending 65% of my monthly income just to have a roof over my head. Not to mention utilities etc. That bothers me a great deal. How did I end up in such a financial squeeze?
A poll tax ? Thats one tax we don't pay in Canada unless its a hidden tax.

Grackle said:
Thanks for the moral support Tiina, definitely need that.
Fishie and Wilderness, I'm spending 65% of my monthly income just to have a roof over my head. Not to mention utilities etc. That bothers me a great deal. How did I end up in such a financial squeeze?
A poll tax ? Thats one tax we don't pay in Canada unless its a hidden tax.

what line of work are you currently in? general rule of thumb is that you should never be paying more than a third of your income for housing. so by that token, you have to double your income just to stay where you are right now.

I work in housekeeping at a mental health facility. Notoriously low pay and I live in Vancouver, notorious for high rent.

Grackle said:
I work in housekeeping at a mental health facility. Notoriously low pay and I live in Vancouver, notorious for high rent.

interesting page here about Vancouver's rent prices and economy.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/vancouver/1839140-why-real-estate-so-incredibly-high.html

sounds like you might be better off flipping real estate or something. :my: or maybe you could do housekeeping for some of your wealthy Chinese overlords. they have more money, so maybe they could pay better.

Rent is indeed expensive. Luckily my rent is only ~35% of my income. I have the 2nd bedroom of a 2b1b apartment. If I were to live on my own, it would be ~60%

The thing about living together is not only do you just use that same bedroom. You also have a 2nd income. So it really is like living by yourself but working two jobs (or double your wages).

Here in the US, being married is basically financial benefit until combined income of $168k a year. In this case it is better to be single to avoid the tax penalties.. But really, if you make $168k a year together.. the TINY tax penalty really isn't an issue.. People over-exaggerate the "married status gets penalized". You save on all forms of insurance. Your credit is better. In my mind.. It's not a penalty.. it's when married stops being ahead of being single.

Latest posts

Back