Small Talk

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
One of the cliches that are true about English people is their obsession with the weather. I was at the allotment today, waiting to use the communal tap, and there's a guy waiting next to me with a jovial sort of spark in his eye. Oh no, I think. He's going to say something about the weather.

"Sunny, isn't it?"

This carries all the significance of me turning to him and saying "Look! There's grass over there", but of course despite it being the single most obvious thing he could say, this is England, so I go "Oh, yes," and do a lot of nodding.

Sometimes, though, I like to be subversive in my small talk. I'll be standing next to someone and I'll click my tongue and go "Football, eh?" and they'll go "Isn't it just?" and then look puzzled.

I give people credit - I know that they don't want to begin a conversation about Labour while waiting to use a pump. That's why I think that everyone should have certain facts memorised. You're waiting in a long queue:

"Did you know that all clams start out as males, and about half decide to become a female at some point in their lives?"

"No, but did you know that Shakespeare was 46 when the King James Bible came out ... The 46th letter from the first word of the 46th psalm is "Shake", and the 46th word from the last word of the same psalm is "Spear"?"

That way, we'll not only be able to get through a three-minute wait without wanting to bash our heads against the wall at man's inanity to man: we may also profit by the experience.

lol true, idk weather is just one thing that you can't offend anyone by mentioning it, and it's something we can all agree on,why yes it sunnny, i'm so happy it's unny becuase it's been winter the last 4 months :p

and sometimes i don't really know why, but being around someone a stranger or not sometimes the quiet is unnerving, so we have to say something and fisrt thing to come to mind or what is easists to say is about the weather

this is very true for midwest americans becuase the weather here is bipolar and ussaly sucky and cold, so whenever the weather is sucky and cold we have to rant about it to another person to get out our frustrations of the climate,

I hate to say it, but sometimes I get so annoyed by other people's conversations that I get up in a histrionic manner and move to the other end of the train carriage. Being in one of those conversations myself is like chinese water torture to me.

Latest posts

Back