Songs that help when you are depressed

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unsigned

Reaction score
This one does it for me.
It really helps.
I have to remind myself to watch the video more often.

I feel similarly.

When I'm feeling especially down, I usually don't listen to anything. I'm just not in the mood.
Boobs man, if I'm depressed show me the boobs, if I'm angry show me the boobs, if I'm happy show me the boobs. Boobs are bloody fantastic for any state of mind .... why isn't there a boobs emoji? can we fix that?

Boobs man, if I'm depressed show me the boobs, if I'm angry show me the boobs, if I'm happy show me the boobs. Boobs are bloody fantastic for any state of mind .... why isn't there a boobs emoji? can we fix that?

No seriously, if I'm truly depressed or angry, even that doesn't work. That's how you really know something's wrong, lol.

Music doesn’t help me when I’m depressed. In fact it usually makes things worse:
I feel similarly.

When I'm feeling especially down, I usually don't listen to anything. I'm just not in the mood.
Huh. It’s interesting how different people are. Music is one of the prime things that helps to elevate my mood. I’m curious what does help either of you manage depression (if there is anything)?

Huh. It’s interesting how different people are. Music is one of the prime things that helps to elevate my mood. I’m curious what does help either of you manage depression (if there is anything)?

For me it's exercise, TV or movies, sleep, or just time.
Also, if there is something to do outside, like cutting the grass or pulling weeds.

Oh, I forgot one - cleaning/sorting helps too, like cleaning my room, throwing stuff away, hanging up laundry, stuff like that. Even cleaning/sorting computer files can help too.

I know it's not a "good" answer, but drinking has taken the edge off in the past. I don't do that often though.

Music to me is something that's more for good moods, than bad ones.

Last edited:
In all honesty for me its music, not listening to it, getting out my old man's beat up Aria acoustic and strumming the blues. What I'm playing on guitar will tell you far more about my mood than I ever will.

Tony Toni Tone -- Feels Good
I haven't been depressed in like almost a decade or something, but I remember liking this song around the same time in my life. It was one of the positive ones anyway.

Sometimes I actually do listen to something when I'm feeling down, but I find that I usually listen to music that also feels down, rather than using it to try to cheer me up.

This song in particular, paints a picture of how it feels for me - not usually deep sadness, but instead nothingness, emptiness:

"Hey, haven't seen you around in a while
Hey, haven't seen you around in a while
Hey, haven't seen you around in a while
Hey

I didn't go to work for a month
I didn't leave my bed for eight days straight
I haven't hung out with anyone
If I did, I'd have nothing to say
I didn't feel angry or depressed
I didn't feel anything at all
I didn't want to go to bed
And I didn't want to stay awake"

That part about "I haven't hung out with anyone, if I did, I'd have nothing to say" really resonates with me, I've been there so many times. It's a major reason why I'm not the best at maintaining conversations either. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I don't feel enough about anything to have enough to say, and don't want to come off as boring, so I just say nothing and wait until I have something to say instead. Unfortunately that can be a long time.

They have so many songs that captures these feelings perfectly.

Modest Mouse - Whenever You Breathe Out, I Breathe In (Positive Negative)

Oddly, the Only time I listen to my favorite songs is when I'm with a friend In-person. If I listen by myself, it doesn't have the kick. It has to be done socially. But that's just me, my idiosyncrasy.

To be honest, music just makes it worse. I'm an old soul who hates most modern music, so my playlist is full of stuff from the past, and it just reminds me of happier times, and how those happier feelings are long gone.

Latest posts

Back