Telephonophobia...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 49 years old and dread telephone conversations, but.........never as bad as I think they are going to be. I have some polish friends who lost luggage on a trip from poland to scotland, today they asked me to help them with the phone calls.

To cut along story short I did it and it was so easy it left me thinking It's me thats got the problem.

I used to have a telephonophobia...not so much talking on the phone but more when it rang. Caller ID has helped a lot so I can screen my calls. It used to be scary when I wouldn't know who was calling.

I also did a hypnosis session and it helped enormously...I think it even cured the problem actually, I'm not anxious now when the phone rings.

I've done hypnosis for some other stuff and really love it. It has helped me.

I know exactly how you feel! I absolutely hate talking on the telephone.I'm not too bad when somebody calls me,but I'm terrible when it comes to making calls.I've avoided it as much as possible.even getting my boyfriend to call things for me just so I don't have to.I didn't realise so many other people felt the same way.It seems weird to be afraid of talking on the phone when the other person can't even see you and you will likely never see them unless you're talking to friends of course! It's not a nice thing to have to deal with though :(

I'm the same, I don't mind people phoning me, but dislike having to phone others esp compaines like gas or mobile company.

I think it's because i used to do what they did, customer service for a telecommunications company, and i remember how arsey customer can be. Some how i feel like i'm bothering them, which is totally weird cause, i'm not it's their job. If i can avoid it i will.

I usually never answer a phone if I hear it ringing, and I keep my phone switched off most of the time anyway.

I feel the same, usually I have to pace around the room a bit before I can bear to pick it up. Nowadays any kind of contact with somebody really scares me :(

I can totally realate to that. I just dread having to pick up the phone, but even worse, having to call someone. I'm always afraid I won't know what to say, I'll just be on the phone tripping over words like I did one time I called someone. It's just hard for me....no clue why.

I'm very proud of myself for a phone call I made today. I was able to talk clearly (I only stumbled over my words once) and actually made small talk before getting to the reason for calling. It probably helped that the person I called is outgoing and took charge of the conversation. But still, I'm...surprised by how well it went and I think next time I won't be as reluctant to call.

woolensilence said:
Blah. Telephones are probably the scariest thing to me right now. It's ridiculous. If I even type in the number I'll sit there looking at the screen waiting to push call, but too nervous and shaky to even do it. It's not even somebody I know or will meet anytime soon. They're just a random nun at a random Catholic church where I'm supposed to be doing fieldwork.

Ungh.
What the hell.

Can anyone sympathize? I feel totally pointless and lame right now.

OMG Woolen I have it way worse than you and I have never had a name for it. I am getting that pull of stress down the back of my head like a stress headache even thinking of the telephone PERIOD. Members of my family often find our phone unplugged and hidden in the house. I hate the ******* thing! I hate cell phones, too! Like I said just the thought of that **** thing whether it be ringing at me or me having to pick it up and use it. ARGHHH! So pas the Pointless and Lame Torch to me and I will gladly take it from you! I more than sympathize!!!!

Its just a phone, do what you gotta do, talk, achieve your objective, then hang up, your caring way to much, just don't care.

hmm, i know a lot of fears... as many people know

i r like human weaknesses :p

although i think i remember once reading the best way to get over this is by getting a personal cell/mobile phone
and only adding close friends and family, and then talk to them for a long while...eventually you get used to it and the fear is involuntarily lost.

i'm not saying its the only way to get over it but i'd suggest that way for this piss easy method.

now if only i could create a low carb cure for polio.... Dr, Van...AWAAAAAAAAAAY*flys away*

Yeup, I can definitely relate. Text messaging has become my communicative savior. lol Calling close friends usually isn't that big of a deal to me, but I still have moments where I have to call someone I don't know and I just shudder in fear as I stare at their number on the screen.

I prefer being able to talk to someone face-to-face, because then you have more to read: body language, facial expressions, etc. And, contrary to phone calls, you have the possibility of other people piping into the conversation when it's face-to-face. On the phone, it's as if you're stuck on a one way street and only your or their voice can drive the motion of conversing. As soon as topics run out, you're at a stand still.

Not to mention, I never know when you end a phone call. I never want to be the one to cut them off. So it seems there's always, inevitably, an awkward silence at the end where they're forced to say, "....well, alright, it's been good talking to you."

Furthermore, small talk in general kills me.
But when it's on the phone, yeah, that much worse.

Lol i gotz the opposite problem...I can't talk at all when I'm face to face, but when I'm on the phone I never shut up...things don't seem as funny over the phone though...some jokes that are great in publis are just akward over the phone >.< Oh yeah, everytime someone hs an akward silence over the phone a gay baby is born...just FYI...=P

I've made tons of gay babies...WOOO..?

Latest posts

Back