The changing shape of loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siertes

Reaction score
When I'm at home, loneliness is that sole room and a computer screen I can't pull myself away from except to feed the body or the plumbing. It's climbing into a bed that is only ever shared with piles of formerly clean laundry. It's waking up cold and alone, wondering when the world first got to be so dark...

When I get to work, loneliness is the lie I repeat again and again to everyone who asks how I'm doing. It's being unable to be honest with the world around you because in an environment that demands a smile, being yourself will only alienate you further. It's being in a place where so many people come together to not have any meaningful interactions.

When I'm out and about in the town, loneliness is the severe envy and anguish that pains my heart as I see countless couples holding hands and walking together through life. It's the laughter from groups of teens enjoying that ignorant time in life that is lost forever. It's walking for hours upon hours and never once hearing "Hi".

Does loneliness feel like such a different creature to you depending on your location? I know it stems from the same general place but to me it's like that weather. Sometimes it's like a cold night, other times it's a rain that pours over you constantly, or a blizzard that pounds you until you're numb. It never feels quite the same but it's all weather and a part of the same system. It's all loneliness...

Either way I was just wondering if you really feel the difference from place to place, the various flavors of the pain.

Yep I feel the difference from place to place. Comes down to interactions with people with me. If it went well then the loneliness fades off for a bit, if it doesn't it slams into me like a freight train!

great post siertes,that's just how i experience life especially the part about work.
i think loneliness feels the same where ever you are in the world
for example i go to a soccer match most Saturdays on my own and don't talk to anyone but every so often i do have a chat with some one usually a pensioner but it makes a difference in the way i feel ,it makes me feel iam normal and i do exsist

Darkness said:
Yep I feel the difference from place to place. Comes down to interactions with people with me. If it went well then the loneliness fades off for a bit, if it doesn't it slams into me like a freight train!

^^ This exactly.

Shame you live in the US. We could totally hang and enjoy some Fallout 3 and GTA 5.

Latest posts

Back