The Deaf

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayri

Reaction score
Are there any inventions out there that help the deaf hear ? My cousin is here for the weekend (she is deaf) and ive been bonding with her and helping her with her sign language. The whole time she was here, (well she still is. i believe she is leaving later) ive been thinking about it. i remember in elementary, we watched a movie where this group of people came in and hooked up a deaf woman to a machine. It was so beautiful. She heard her voice for the first time and started to cry. i was just wondering..cause i want her to be able to hear. i know that even though she is happy, it pains her to live in such a silent world. She got her heart broken last night and i wonder is she still sad about it. She is behind in alot of things because of her inpedement. i hope she truly is happy. Thank you for any answers i get.

1) how old is she?

2) Where do you live?

I ask these two questions beceause she could go to a residential school for the deaf and feel more included if she is high school age.

3.) I go to Gallaudet University and am hard of hearing.

I am sure she'd be very happy to go to a school with other deaf people she could sign with and make friends with.

She is 35 and she lives in Alabama.

We were going to try to put her into a vocational class so she can learn. While looking for a sign language book yesterday, we met a woman who is deaf and her daughter who translate. She is trying to help us.

We were going to try to put her into a vocational class so she can learn. While looking for a sign language book yesterday, we met a woman who is deaf and her daughter who translate. She is trying to help us.

There are Deaf Clubs. National Association for the Deaf might have some resources.

Look for Deaf Clubs in your area. No wonder she feels lonely since no one around her knows sign language. How would you feel if no one could talk to you? Lonely? :/

35 n only just NOW learning 2 sign??
fr that n othr thngs u wrote?
this situation sounds disastrous

im thinking i may have said something wrong XD or you misunderstood.
She knows some things (like alphabet, some words, etc) but she is very lazy and dosent do the hand movements right. So we want to send her to a class so she can learn more and sign better. We talk to her. We have ALWAYs talked to her. WE are just now learning sign language. Not HER.

Apologize for that misunderstanding.

My grandmother was deaf, she had Scarlet fever when she was younger. Sometimes her hearing aid helped sometimes it didn't. It seemed she was better off most days without it. There are certain sounds that hearing aids can amplify and actually cause the wearing pain, like screaming children. We used to get told not to scream when playing when grandma was around. Sometimes she'd just take her hearing aid out. She was pretty good at reading lips though.

Latest posts

Back