The importance of having friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xelha

Reaction score
I'm starting to realize just how much my lack of friends contributes to my "depression". A lot of the time I just feel empty, in a sense, and I always knew that not having hardly any friends was a big part of my problem, but I don't think I realized the extent to which it really affects me.

Today, for example, I spent a few hours talking to an acquaintance of mine(we normally never speak outside of class) over coffee, and afterwards I felt so... satisfied. Like that emptiness had gone away, at least for a short while.

That really goes to show just how much better off I'd be if I could just make some good friends. :p

Friends, family or even strangers can do that to you in a day, haha. :) That connection with other people seem to always affect for the good to us. Though, that variate of how much connection the person like.

Do you enjoy many productive activities that just require yourself and no one else?

There are a lot of things I enjoy on my own, yeah. But there will come a time(usually in the evening) that I no longer feel like doing anything, and all of a sudden I just feel... empty. I spend too much time alone. I thought that finding some more hobbies would help... and it does, but it isn't enough. I'm starting to realize that spending time with friends is wayy more effective when it comes to keeping myself from falling back into feelings of loneliness and depression.

Unfortunately though, knowing what I need to do doesn't exactly make it that much easier. I have such a hard time these days finding friends, and my life is currently too unstable to keep any of the ones I do make. =/ That's a big part of what discourages me, since I start to wonder why I even bother, knowing that any friendships I form are more or less doomed to dissolve within a few months.

Having friends (any skin colour) is important, because humans are social creatures. It helps us with our confidence and outlook on life.

During the part of my life when I was around the age of 10-14 I had so little friends and honestly I deserved it.I earned it.I never TRIED hard enough,if at all to make friends.Even if somebody tried warming up to me I just treated them indifferently I guess.Not rude,but cool like so? what did you say you wanted? Even what childhood friends I had I never tried to keep in touch with them.I never called.Never asked.Even my first bestfriend,the one girl who shared with me everychildhood memory and we were literally stuck at hips for 8 years maybe,I let our friendship die once she was no longer in any of my classes and it's such a pity when I see someone,recognize them (easy!) And think funny how we used to be SO close and now we're strangers.

At some point,I guess I didn't have friends.I did have.But they were all superficial friends,just school mates.We seemed close,always together 4 girls together but I've always known that I was only spending time with my so called friends cause I didn't want to spend it alone at school.I had to.They were what I could find then.So whenever school was off I hardly called any of them.Honestly,they didnt matter much.

Then there was finally that breakthrough in my life,when that new kid stepped into my class.Some sort of gravity was pulling me towards that smiling face,those bright eyes that would light up my mood no matter what.There was something about the girl that made me cannot NOT laugh whenever I look her way.Ahaha she was hilarious to me.

That was the first time I EVER tried to make a friend.In a very weird and fast manner we became very good friends,we started talking,I was never that honest with someone,I wanted the best for her,I geniunely loved her. Course we became bestfriends and I trusted her blindly.She was worth my trust.She is worth my trust.I'm so glad that that we are still bestfriends to the moment.I even left my entire old school and we still talk everyday and I consider her to be my ultimate best friend I have ever made.I never kept intouch with people who were no longer "with me in class" yet somehow our friendship never grows weaker.Even if I don't see her for months on end.It was the first time I had CHOSEN someone.And definitely I couldn't have chosen better than that.

Since then and I have been getting better and better.I am to the moment,every day I am more open,I'm more friendly,I'm less shy,I am nicer,I'm stronger,I have more friends,I work hard to earn them,I work harder to keep them.You wouldn't know what difference remembering that friend's birthday or calling to check on them when u know they're ill or miss school does.These little things are what actually make you a good friend.

And now I'm really glad by how far I've come.I have many friends.There's no worse feeling than not knowing who to call when one friend is busy and you realize you have noone else to call.Or on Friday night you don't know who to go out with.That's depressing.Now that's not an issue anymore.I'm sure you could make friends.Like I said ,just be WILLING to make some effort.It's not hard at all when you are a good person. Ofcourse not everyone gets along with everyone.That's a given.I find some people to be frustrating just by the look of them.They give me that overwhelming impulse to punch their face.Irritating.I just walk away.Hehe.Maybe some people find me irritating too.Who cares? There are always many people out there who'd like you for who you are and it takes no effort to be yourself around them. Just start making friends!There are no limits !

Hehe Sorry If I hurt your eyes with my umm not so long post :p lol

AWESOME, Enchantress! :D

YAaayyyyyy friends! Haha your post wasn't too long. :p My eyes are fine.

----Steve

Hehe Good then.See? I did use paragraphs this time, when i was dividing that thing I was thinking lol steve would appreciate that.He hates big chunks so much :p ahaha . Btw my name is Ana .I think I should make an announcemet to everyone by now hehe its funny being called enchantress all the time :D

:D HAHAHA lol thanks soooooo much for keeping my old eyes in mind, Ana! :D

I like your name, btw.

----Steve

Thanks for sharing your story, Ana :)P).

I think mostly I've just been having a lot of bad luck. I'd say that when I was younger my shyness led me to seem boring and like someone people didn't really want to hang out with. I'm a lot better now, though, and I can tell that a lot of people enjoy my company(I try to tell a lot of stories and make them laugh, etc). But yeah, it's mostly about bad luck, I guess I need to just not get so discouraged. I need to learn to deal with the fact that most friendships will be only temporary and be happy just with that.

At this stage in my life I'm not really able to keep up close friendships with people because I'm moving around quite a bit and at this point I don't even know where I'll end up. :p

I feel the same, when I talk to others (even strangers) I feel so less empty and lonely. It is difficult because I have very few friends, I am moving to be closer to family next month and am really hoping this helps with the loneliness and feeling empty inside.

i was once to told, to have more friends than fingers on you [one] hand, is unfair to your friends.
Now that i am becoming half of an empty nest home, my live and let live attitude to life
plus eagerness to meet more interesting people online or live creates a dilemma.

Where do i meet and greet without the social obligations?
Any others in the fifty plus category in the same boat ?

Latest posts

Back