Therapy: Useful or waste of time?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinemisa

Reaction score
2 years ago I finally worked up the courage to go to therapy. At first I was talking about conflict at work (working at my brother -in-law's company....very bad idea) and then started talking about when I worked at Sam's Club (and the closing of) and then other issues. Trust issues, self esteem, bullying, trying to be a perfectionist and why(anxiety anyone? lol!), death of my dad, trying to make everyone happy and putting everyone else first, workaholic, etc.

At first the commitment of once a week was fine. Towards the time when I stopped going, once a week seemed too much, but I couldn't change it to say once every 2 weeks or once a month.

So what do you guys think?

I suppose it's helpful to some. Not so much help to others. Personally, I don't think any of that would help me. I don't really need someone in my face telling me what's what. I don't mind talking to people though. I think everyone needs someone to talk to, because even if you do like being alone, company is nice to have once in a while.

SophiaGrace said:
Why couldn't you change it?

The first month of sessions, was kind of a trial to see if it was a good match and it was. When I asked about being able to change the number of sessions from once a week to say once every 2 weeks, etc, she said that one of my problems was that I made time for eveyrone but myself. This was one way of forcing me to make time for myself.

VanillaCreme said:
I suppose it's helpful to some. Not so much help to others. Personally, I don't think any of that would help me. I don't really need someone in my face telling me what's what. I don't mind talking to people though. I think everyone needs someone to talk to, because even if you do like being alone, company is nice to have once in a while.

I guess it depends on the therapist and the way they approach it. My therapist would ask if there was something I wanted to talk about and then she would try to make to see different perspectives or do the question thing. You ask a question and she answers with a question. Sometimes she was like a shoulder to cry on.

I believe psychological problems either can be fixed by therapy or chemically. Seems like your problem stems from issues that can be fixed by therapy, therefore I think it is indeed a useful way to spend your time. :)

Good luck!

Therapy helped me when I was younger. I had someone to talk to that I could trust. There's always been a real deficit in that category.

sunshinemisa said:
SophiaGrace said:

The first month of sessions, was kind of a trial to see if it was a good match and it was. When I asked about being able to change the number of sessions from once a week to say once every 2 weeks, etc, she said that one of my problems was that I made time for eveyrone but myself. This was one way of forcing me to make time for myself.

Was she right in presuming that?

Jack Tripper said:
sunshinemisa said:
SophiaGrace said:

Was she right in presuming that?

Absolutely.

Therapy is essentially buying a trusting relationship.

I'm in therapy due to my area being filled with less than desirable people. i.e. I'm unable to be friendly with people who use drugs or wear camouflage (yes, that's sarcasm).

Though...therapy can help if you need SOMEONE to talk to. I've been through a great many since I was 7 or 8 years old and I've met two in the past 5 years that have been anything worth a **** to speak to.

If you want to go through talking with a therapist, psychiatrist or whatever-go in there knowing one outcome that you want and one that you don't. I say this because the first time I went to a therapist I went in trusting and naive. They used that to get me medication, which I was open to, until I realized it was unnatural and I was my own best advocate. Most of the medication they put me on was anti-depression, meaning a low level of serotonin. However, the issue was not my levels of hormones or serotonin in the brain, the issue was a thyroid disease. Hmm and anti-depression medication actually made me bi-polar-you can see where that led the therapist...long story short, be aware of what you tell people. We want to trust and entrust people with our thoughts to feel connected...however I've learned to write and delete most of mine. Keep in mind, too, that therapists will relinquish anything you say to authorities or if you sign a waiver to anyone.

also,

therapists opinions are just like doctors or any other person: their own perspective-don't let them tell you who you are. If they suggest something, research it, if they say "you have (insert disorder)" don't believe them unless you want that to be who you are. who the @#$ cares what doctors say you have! they're just putting you in a **** neatly categorized file!! /endrant

sullirose: you are absolutely right when you said that you need to know the outcome that you want and the one you don't. Before I met my therapist, there was an assessment done and I was asked if medication was something that I would consider. I replied with a firm "NO", I wanted a cognitive behaviourial therapist because it's not about the medication.

I think that therapy can be very beneficial to some but, it really depends on both the therapist and the patient. If there is not trust or bond, it will not work. I think that the therapist and patient must have a healthy relationship and mesh well together. If you cannot open up to your therapist due to personality conflicts, it will not work. However, if you bond with them, they may be able to help you. I think people who have had no success with therapy have failed because the relationship that should exist didn't. It can be costly especially if you get nothing out of it.

So true. the industry seems so corrupt.
know what you want. if not, others will impose their will onto you.

sullirose said:
Therapy is essentially buying a trusting relationship.

I'm in therapy due to my area being filled with less than desirable people. i.e. I'm unable to be friendly with people who use drugs or wear camouflage (yes, that's sarcasm).

Though...therapy can help if you need SOMEONE to talk to. I've been through a great many since I was 7 or 8 years old and I've met two in the past 5 years that have been anything worth a **** to speak to.

If you want to go through talking with a therapist, psychiatrist or whatever-go in there knowing one outcome that you want and one that you don't. I say this because the first time I went to a therapist I went in trusting and naive. They used that to get me medication, which I was open to, until I realized it was unnatural and I was my own best advocate. Most of the medication they put me on was anti-depression, meaning a low level of serotonin. However, the issue was not my levels of hormones or serotonin in the brain, the issue was a thyroid disease. Hmm and anti-depression medication actually made me bi-polar-you can see where that led the therapist...long story short, be aware of what you tell people. We want to trust and entrust people with our thoughts to feel connected...however I've learned to write and delete most of mine. Keep in mind, too, that therapists will relinquish anything you say to authorities or if you sign a waiver to anyone.

also,

therapists opinions are just like doctors or any other person: their own perspective-don't let them tell you who you are. If they suggest something, research it, if they say "you have (insert disorder)" don't believe them unless you want that to be who you are. who the @#$ cares what doctors say you have! they're just putting you in a **** neatly categorized file!! /endrant

LoneKiller said:
The shrink I had was as useless as tits on a duck.

tits are never useless. :p

but yeah I went through ....many therapists. All but two so far have been...I can't even find a word without stringing out some curses in between...

Latest posts

Back